S2 satin finish question

Dave_W

I’m thinking about trying a satin Vela. I’m mostly a strat player but I love the pickup combination and the weight, or lack thereof, is incredible.

Is the satin finish just an aesthetic or does it feel much smoother/faster on the hand? I’ve only tried gloss finished S2 models and the necks have been quite sticky and it turned me off.

It's open pore and a completely differnet feel. Pull th trigger and you won't regret it.

Screenshot_20220816-100405_Galleryd4159c5d8cc3d3f6.jpg

It's open pore and a completely differnet feel. Pull th trigger and you won't regret it.

Screenshot_20220816-100405_Galleryd4159c5d8cc3d3f6.jpg
Thanks, that looks great. Is there any more susceptibility to the neck moving? This seems like the perfect transition away from the strat realm.

Thanks, that looks great. Is there any more susceptibility to the neck moving? This seems like the perfect transition away from the strat realm.

Nope. The neck pickup is a beefy sounding single coil. I dig it. Talking necks it's a super comfortable profile. Good luck!

OP I have a satin vela...feels different than maple but very fast...I also own a standard 22 from 2015 and the back of the neck is quite shiny now from the hours on the neck....mines a semi hollow and it weighs 5lbs maybe slightly less...right arm is comfy as well and bridge is flat so coming from a strat it's gonna feel nice and comfy....

OP I have a satin vela...feels different than maple but very fast...I also own a standard 22 from 2015 and the back of the neck is quite shiny now from the hours on the neck....mines a semi hollow and it weighs 5lbs maybe slightly less...right arm is comfy as well and bridge is flat so coming from a strat it's gonna feel nice and comfy....
Thanks - the Vela seems like the perfect gateway from the strat world to PRS for me. I'm a little worried about the pattern regular neck and how much shoulder it will have. I'm not a fan of the Gibson necks with a lot of shoulder, it really irritates my wrist. I've played the pattern thin on a friend's CE24 and loved it so hopefully, this won't be too different.

I am a slim neck fan as well, but my favorite is the pattern regular. It has a bit more shoulder in the middle, but is not quite as wide. For some reason, it does not feel thick at all. My S2’s with the satin finish with the pattern regular neck carve seem thinner by a small margin than the gloss finish models I have. I own an SE 245 that has the wide thick profile. Not my favorite profile, but it is so easy to play. Still considering a neck re-size on that one. It is thicker by a slim margin, but due to the width of the neck, it feels quite a bit thicker.

The pattern regular is why I am looking for several other S2 guitars and it’s not the 594 with its pattern vintage carve. Would love to own one, but never will due to the neck carve.

I have owned both and prefer the Satin. Some people say the satin finish is thin and brittle, My S2 Standard Satin is a marvelous instrument. I am currently looking at a couple of models in satin. It’s my jam

AFAIK the only satin finish that PRS has ever used is nitro. I was honestly in the camp that finish didn’t affect tone. But then I had a WL 594 in satin nitro, and now have a 2022 594 with the new nitro over cab. And both of those guitars just have a resonance my others don’t. Plus they smell great too. Haha.

Satin every time. The open pore feel is addictive. No stickiness. And newer satin s2 are nitro finished. The vela is a nice step away from the fender world. A little bit familiar and much different at the same time. A very unique guitar in the lineup.

neck moving seems a phenomena with bolts on. I don't struggle nearly as much on PRS set necks.

I'm convinced. Vela will be the next purchase. I need to find a few dealers that measure the neck and try to get the smallest I can find, since it's on the edge for me. I know Wildwood measures and I'll dig around for a few more.

Definitely excited.

I'm convinced. Vela will be the next purchase. I need to find a few dealers that measure the neck and try to get the smallest I can find, since it's on the edge for me. I know Wildwood measures and I'll dig around for a few more.

Definitely excited.

You have to remember the Vela nut measurement is a little bit more narrow. It's a damn comfortable neck. I like chunk but also a little on the thinner side, but not thin or fat necks. The Vela neck is a bit like goldilocks.

I also understand wrist, hand, and arm injuries. I was in a motorcycle accident not too long back. My neck preference has changed due to the this and with the surgeries I've had to "relearn" the guitar few times.

Back