S-2 Tunning Issues

Hank Mills

Hey I just purchased a new custom 24 S-2 , incredible sounding guitar but I am having trouble keeping it in
tune. Some strings will slightly go sharp others flat. Shound I block my trem or have a luthier look at my nut. If anybody out there has solved this problem please tell me what to do.

New guitar = warranty service.

Your first call should be to your dealer.
Your second call should be to PRS customer service if the dealer cannot solve the problem.

Have you done either of those?

My first guess is the nut needs either lubrication, or the string slots need widening.

Did you put new strings on, or are they the stock strings from when the guitar was sitting in the store? If it has been siting a while, the strings might be wonky. and if they are new, they just might need to settle in.

Do you strings "ping" as they get tight when you tune up from well-below in-tune? If so, that is a sign of under-lubricated and/or too-tight slots.

Try the lubrication first (some petroleum jelly is an easy thing to use). If that doesn't work, get the slots widened. If you don't feel comfortable, take it into a reputable guitar-guy (probably not your local Guitar Center, but maybe you'll get lucky and they'll have someone that isn't a hack).

Since your strings go both sharp and flat, I don't think you have an issue with your trem.

i agree on check the nut. I had this issue when I had an SE 24. I wanted to put on 10's and had the nut widened. but the tech did not do the best job on it and i was always flat or sharp right after tuning. Did you go up in string gauge? I believe the s2 comes with 10's.

i agree on check the nut. I had this issue when I had an SE 24. I wanted to put on 10's and had the nut widened. but the tech did not do the best job on it and i was always flat or sharp right after tuning. Did you go up in string gauge? I believe the s2 comes with 10's.
I
New guitar = warranty service.

Your first call should be to your dealer.
Your second call should be to PRS customer service if the dealer cannot solve the problem.

Have you done either of those?
I have not changed strings yet, and my guitar guy here in Sc believes it is the nut. Do the custom 24s have this problem. I really dont want to block my tremolo unless it is realy necessary.

Prs people said the same thing the nut

I have not changed strings yet, and my guitar guy here in Sc believes it is the nut. Do the custom 24s have this problem. I really dont want to block my tremolo unless it is realy necessary.
This isn't a common problem, but those who do have it usually get it solved either by lubricating the nut or widening the slots. Don't widen until you have tried lubricating.

If this is a new guitar, do not do anything that isn't 100% reversible.

This is NOT a common problem. PRS strives to have every guitar to be gig-ready, that is you should be able to unbox it, check the tuning and gig with it immediately without problems.

However, in a very few cases there are problems. Have your dealer or PRS sort them out.

I get that people want to customize their guitars, that's cool. But if you have a NEW guitar and something is out of spec, it is a mistake to start tinkering with it yourself.

Use the warranty, that's what it is there for.

Last edited:
I

NO they do NOT typically have this problem. I have this same model of guitar and mine plays like a dream and stays in tune with no issues! I'm with ruger, contact the dealer you bought it from and if they can't/won't help, contact PRS Customer Service. It's what the warranty is for!

They can be perfectly set up at the factory, and still need an adjustment after going through shipping, change of climate, sitting at a dealer's either out or in a warehouse, etc. After all, they're mostly wood. And wood is hygroscopic. All it takes is a tiny bit of change in the setup, an insignificant shift in the angle of the strings, and the nut can bind a little.

If your local guy was thinking of blocking the trem to solve the problem - a thing that is incredibly simple to fix - your local guy is a doofus, and you should consider doing business elsewhere.

Hey I just purchased a new custom 24 S-2 , incredible sounding guitar but I am having trouble keeping it in
tune. Some strings will slightly go sharp others flat. Shound I block my trem or have a luthier look at my nut. If anybody out there has solved this problem please tell me what to do.
I finally took the guitar back to the dealer and they fixed the problem! The nut needed work as others suggested and I think they tightened the tuners and now this guitar stays in tune ! I am now looking to replace the pickups with Duncans either a 59 or pearly gates in the neck and a duncan distortion in the bridge. Can I order the 85/15 Pick-ups from Prs?

Back