RIP - Gary Rossington

Lynyrd Skynyrd (especially Gary) still has a huge influence on me and my guitar playing since before I even picked up a guitar. My uncle is a huge music buff and used to play me and my brother all the top acts of the time. Bowie, T-Rex, Black Sanbath and of course Skynyrd, we'd sit there for hours fascinated by the wall out sound coming from the speakers(especoally the sounds of a slide guitar).

One day he turned up unexpected and had a package each for me and my brother, we thought they were early birthday presents- (our birthdays are Nov 13th & 14th, twins born either side of midnight) inside each package were two copies each of the "Stree Survivors" album. He told us that we could only open and play one copy each but we must NEVER even open the cellophane on the other copies. We promised that we wouldn't (neither of us ever did) the date was Oct 21st 1977, the day after the plane crash.

Me and my wife were lucky to meet the band backstage here in the UK in 2003 & 2009 tours. When I told him the above story, he laughed and asked if I still played, I said I did and he the presented with one his glass slides.

He was genuinely one of the nicest people I've ever met.

Rest in peace Gary

Your music will live forever.

Great memory John.

Lynyrd Skynyrd (especially Gary) still has a huge influence on me and my guitar playing since before I even picked up a guitar. My uncle is a huge music buff and used to play me and my brother all the top acts of the time. Bowie, T-Rex, Black Sanbath and of course Skynyrd, we'd sit there for hours fascinated by the wall out sound coming from the speakers(especoally the sounds of a slide guitar).

One day he turned up unexpected and had a package each for me and my brother, we thought they were early birthday presents- (our birthdays are Nov 13th & 14th, twins born either side of midnight) inside each package were two copies each of the "Stree Survivors" album. He told us that we could only open and play one copy each but we must NEVER even open the cellophane on the other copies. We promised that we wouldn't (neither of us ever did) the date was Oct 21st 1977, the day after the plane crash.

Me and my wife were lucky to meet the band backstage here in the UK in 2003 & 2009 tours. When I told him the above story, he laughed and asked if I still played, I said I did and he the presented with one his glass slides.

He was genuinely one of the nicest people I've ever met.

Rest in peace Gary

Your music will live forever.

My buddy had a copy of the original pressing of that album. Loaned it to a friend of his. Asked for it back, his friend said, "I don't have it. I traded it to a girl for <a sexual favor that can't be named here>.." As he put it to me once, "He traded my album and somehow I got screwed."

Sorry bro, no harm meant.

Feel free to post “Part Time Lover”.

I’m a massive Stevie fan, but I can’t stand that song.
Naaa I won’t do it to ya. I don’t have many songs I despise. Maybe like 3 but that one is and will always be my numero uno. For the record I like to believe that was Ronnie and Ed’s thing. Gary was too cool for that;)

Naaa I won’t do it to ya. I don’t have many songs I despise. Maybe like 3 but that one is and will always be my numero uno. For the record I like to believe that was Ronnie and Ed’s thing. Gary was too cool for that;)

You’re most likely correct.

Stevie just wrote so many other cool songs.

The band needed a new song quickly due to them getting a distribution deal with MCA and having to so showcase set for the labels exe's. Most of the tune was a rework of a tune by Ed's former band Strawberry Alarmclock (its ed that says turn it up) and Ronnie just made up the lyrics in the studio. The song wasn't meant to be released but MCA made that part of the deal.

The big joke is that the features negative comments about the record industry and when MCA realised they omitted it from further re-pressings for about a year.

Back