Reviving Dead Threads: Who Gives a Sh!t?

That’s a good question. I’m not sure? I just kinda tailed off here.

And I have to admit my most recent purchase is a pink Harley Benton Fusion T as a mod platform, so maybe I felt like I was cheating on my PRSes and the guilt made me hide from here?
Do you only take it to bars and clubs three towns away to avoid any one you know seeing you?

That’s a good question. I’m not sure? I just kinda tailed off here.

And I have to admit my most recent purchase is a pink Harley Benton Fusion T as a mod platform, so maybe I felt like I was cheating on my PRSes and the guilt made me hide from here?
Those Harley Benton's tho....

I will admit I have some and are very good for modding. Got my gibby style fix at less then $500 for three guitars!

Starting the timer for a necro of this post in 2026 :D

Dear Forum Members,

Have any of you guys considered selecting a thread for a virtual time capsule, and burying it underground, to be dug up in 50 years time so younger generations can see what life was like 50 years previous? Or for today's generation, a time capsule of 5 or 10 years? A virtual time capsule might be possible by sending a thread in a letter to the forum in the future, to be reviewed in 5 or 10 years time.

We might wish to include things like recent developments in medicine, science, and technology, since these seem to be moving forward in time at a faster pace than other facets of life?

The recent discussion about AI in art is a good example. There are other pressing matters of this world as well, though I hope the powers that govern this forum will allow us leeway when we include such discussions.

Perhaps the best teacher we can appreciate is the fact that we should learn from the mistakes of our past, so that we not repeat them ad infinitum in the future. My hope is that what were learn will help us live peaceful, happier lives, with fewer instances of conflict because of divisive thinking.

This is not a made-up concept about what fuels our desires or needs. It's evident that today's TV recreation and entertainment industry does not espouse peaceful co-existence as a lifestyle. It is just another sign of the times that we live in, and that society, unless it can correct itself of its current course, is heading downhill rapidly.

When us kids were much younger, we used to sit at our grandfather's feet as he told us stories that would fill our minds with wisdom we would need when we grew older. Today, I look back on those days thinking that what I see on TV as recreation and entertainment will affect me, sooner or later. For that reason, I make darn sure what I watch on TV won't affect my health, sooner or later.

GrandDad was indeed wise, but I question the value of things we view these days. Life should be enjoyable, but until we approach viewing life with the eyes of innocent children, the experience we already possess tells us that many work counter to what we'd like. Life is often filled with violence and conflict. Why should this be allowed to exist for our children's future, if we wish to leave a better world for our children?

Yes, bury this thread as a time capsule to be revisited in 5 or 10 years time. Hopefully, mankind will have made necessary changes to improve our society instead of allowing it to continue on its current course.

With Loving Concern,
CandidPicker

I bump threads because Google searches bring them up much better than the search engine on here :cool:
It is a damn shame when photos get deleted from the links. I’m trying to be better and leaving them on Imgur permanently.

Dear Forum Members,

Have any of you guys considered selecting a thread for a virtual time capsule, and burying it underground, to be dug up in 50 years time so younger generations can see what life was like 50 years previous? Or for today's generation, a time capsule of 5 or 10 years? A virtual time capsule might be possible by sending a thread in a letter to the forum in the future, to be reviewed in 5 or 10 years time.
No, I have never considered doing this with a forum thread.

Funny you should ask though, because I have DEFINITELY considered doing it with a forum MEMBER! Does that count???

:p:p

No, I have never considered doing this with a forum thread.

Funny you should ask though, because I have DEFINITELY considered doing it with a forum MEMBER! :p
:p:p
I personally subscribe to a service called "FutureMe." FutureMe enables you to write a letter to yourself and select a time when you wish to receive the letter. Typically, every time my birthday rolls around, (not so much of a birthday, more like an anniversary for my Mom...) FutureMe sends me a letter I wrote to myself the previous year, describing the year's memorable happenings, etc.

For a small fee (you can choose between $5 and any amount above) which supports the service's maintenance, you can write just about anything of note (just so it does not cross website usage guidelines) and record your thoughts, feelings, or narrative.

Because you can select when you wish to receive your letter (not limited to yearly), you can send a letter 5 years forward. Although I've not recently checked the stipulations, it may be possible to send a letter forward 10 years and receive it in 10 years time.

FutureMe is essentially a virtual "time capsule" like that was suggested in my previous post. My feeling was that rather than utilize a paid-for service, simply earmark a thread for revival in 1, 2, 5 or 10 years time, and see to it that someone wakes the thread for all of us to review.

I personally subscribe to a service called "FutureMe."
I got suckered into a subscription for "30s Me." Oh, how I long for those days again. Even the red hair that I never loved is something I would pay a lot of money for now! So yeah, I signed right up for "30s Me."

Damn thing never worked. AT ALL! :mad:

I got suckered into a subscription for "30s Me." Oh, how I long for those days again. Even the red hair that I never loved is something I would pay a lot of money for now! So yeah, I signed right up for "30s Me."

Apparently I’m a late bloomer ginger. All my brown hair is turning gray, except fifteen eyebrow hairs that grow exponentially faster and in opposite directions that look red!

Heh. FutureMe is a legit service for recording your narrative today and sending it off to some future time, then receiving it via email at the scheduled time. It was a free service up until last year, where they request a modest donation for the site's upkeep. I think I made a donation of $25 to cover the next 5 years. It's more for recording memorable moments and being your own story-teller to remind you about them whatever future time you choose.

I'd be all in for a site that was 18s-Me. Back then I was in the best shape of my life, and weighed all of 132 lbs. Contrast that to today, overweight, grey hair, much slower physically, and things take longer to heal when they hurt. Now that spring is here, I plan on spending more time doing yard and garden things that will serve as exercise beyond my usual regimen. I don't expect miracles, but hope some of the weight will melt away with concerted effort...

Here we are again, folks. Pretty soon we'll be in our 80's, sitting on the front porch, playing pinochle or cribbage, and telling hearing aid jokes...

Dude, you couldn't pay me to have hair again. Bald is where it's at!

Back