Resurrection of the old.....

Ck77

So, i have a few of the "old line" prs amps, blue sierra , mdt, pauls amp, ect... l enjoy them, but mot love them, until I picked up a fryette powerstation 2, it even brought new life into an archon!
Biggest mistake I've made was waiting to get one, now, i can absolutely crank the **** out of em, and, turn it down, with an external effects loop! Absolute game changer for me....

I made the mistake of judging PRS amps at low/non-stage volume, those things are made to be cranked.
The mdt cranked is like a modded marshall sound, like a jtm45 with more push, im running a mesa boogie 5 band eq thru the powerstation, its amazing what these things do dimed, my recording amp sounds like an old 1959 plexi, but better, easier to dial in and control. Honestly, if a foorswitchable clean could be added, (im working on it) its unbeatable. Really an absolute shame these amps went unnoticed, I've been snatching them up as i find them ,

Really an absolute shame these amps went unnoticed, I've been snatching them up as i find them ,

Yeah, the used prices on the 30s have got me giving them a second look.

How’s that Blue Serria? The few videos I’ve seen kinda scared me off, but some of the prices I’ve seen them go for make me wanna give one a chance.

Amazing, think jtm45 but not so shrill
I’ve always wanted one of these, but... I sold a Custom 50 that sounded great, but only when turned up louder than I can turn it up. I get the whole “made to be a gigging amp” thing. But unfortunately, I can’t use amps that need to be cranked. The Archon can sound great a couple notches lower than the Custom 50 could.

Guess I should watch for the real unicorn... a Custom 20 head.

You could just come and try mine.
I’d love too! I’ve heard several people just go Gaga over those amps. One guy at TGP said he heard one once and it was the best amp he’d ever heard. Another said he’d owned Two Rocks, Bogner, numerous other high end amps and his MDT was his favorite ever.

But, I fear it probably needs to be loud to sound great

the fryette solves this problem for a princely $600. not that i have ever heard an attenuator that wasn’t gutless.

I’d love too! I’ve heard several people just go Gaga over those amps. One guy at TGP said he heard one once and it was the best amp he’d ever heard. Another said he’d owned Two Rocks, Bogner, numerous other high end amps and his MDT was his favorite ever.

But, I fear it probably needs to be loud to sound great

Yeah, the used prices on the 30s have got me giving them a second look.

How’s that Blue Serria? The few videos I’ve seen kinda scared me off, but some of the prices I’ve seen them go for make me wanna give one a chance.
At first, without the powerstation, it was WAY too loud to sit with and play, when its tamed abit and you can crank it, it rivals the archon, like a more raw throaty tone, but sounds huge , it shocked me when opened up, as much gain as my bogner shiva, but honestly, in some ways has a nicer tone, without the nasal bogner thing ...

I
the fryette solves this problem for a princely $600. not that i have ever heard an attenuator that wasn’t gutless.
I wasnt sold either until i got it home...

Reactions: jxe
I’ve always wanted one of these, but... I sold a Custom 50 that sounded great, but only when turned up louder than I can turn it up. I get the whole “made to be a gigging amp” thing. But unfortunately, I can’t use amps that need to be cranked. The Archon can sound great a couple notches lower than the Custom 50 could.

Guess I should watch for the real unicorn... a Custom 20 head.
Get a powerstation, its been a real eye opener for me

That looks like a sweet one, too! I want to get one of those, i was really torn between the two....
I have a Fryette PS-2 on a 1990 Fender brown Vibroverb reissue also, which is good to add a loop too. If you have an iPhone or iPad and use the UAD app it is a great unit to use into a recording interface; choice of microphone and cabinet simulations. If you are using it only to temper the amp's volume it is overkill. Quality overkill but overkill nonetheless.

Last edited:
Back