Replacing the neck of a PRS Brent Mason - possible?

perius

I bought a Brent Mason recently. Love almost everything about it - tone, sustain, the richness of the humbuckers and strat-y in-between sound, and more. However, the neck is an issue. I've had the frets leveled and the action is set perfectly but it still doesn't feel right. I'm guessing it's the radius and there isn't no fixin' that.

Wondering if there is another PRS bolt-on neck that I might be able to swap out. A Silver Sky perhaps. Or maybe another non-PRS if need be. Have any experience with this?

I bought a Brent Mason recently. Love almost everything about it - tone, sustain, the richness of the humbuckers and strat-y in-between sound, and more. However, the neck is an issue. I've had the frets leveled and the action is set perfectly but it still doesn't feel right. I'm guessing it's the radius and there isn't no fixin' that.

Wondering if there is another PRS bolt-on neck that I might be able to swap out. A Silver Sky perhaps. Or maybe another non-PRS if need be. Have any experience with this?

You can send it to them for repair, but they won’t sell you a neck - and I doubt they’d put a Silver Sky neck on it for you.

Things to consider, the neck pocket of the Brent Mason may not match any other PRS bolt on neck.

I believe each neck in the factory would be adjusted to fit correctly into each guitar.

As Black Plaid says, scale length matters.

Good luck in your search.

You don't really say what you don't like about the neck (to fat or narrow ???) I know of one forum member that had a neck made for one of his and it was very nice.( I'll let him comment )
It has the same Scale length as the DC3 and the NF3 but I believe it also has the same neck shape ( Pattern Regular , Standard I think ) the scale length is 25 1/4 like the 513 - 509 DC3 and NF3 )
PTC will reshape the neck for you ( at a cost of course )

I assume you mean the profile rather than the (fingerboard) radius? What would you change about it?
I recently had the frets leveled. Helped but still missing something. My latest theory is the frets are too low. I love low action and to be able to easily slide and glide between notes but you also need some resistance (like a good cocktail, smooth but strong enough you don't suck it down in 10 seconds like Kool Aid). A re-fret will be by next move before I look at replacement.

Back