Replacing SE HBII Piezo Tuners

Well, the McCarty and 594s don't have locking tuners. They certainly aren't cheap guitars.

You've made my point even more valid. There must be some reason why certain PRSi (SE's included) have non-locking or Kluson tuners, other than the tone factor. Tinkerers' guitars? More tone-ful without locking tuners? Lighter headstock weight?

What say you folks?

Well, the McCarty and 594s don't have locking tuners. They certainly aren't cheap guitars.
Vintage guitars (even modern "remake" versions) typically don't have locking tuners. This is probably because "vintage" usually means pre-1970, while locking tuners came out in the mid-1980's... so I would have no issue with that being the case for the McCarty series.

But, seems I'm the only one that's bugged by an intended-to-be-modern $1500 guitar not even having locking tuners. Understood, loud and clear.

Vintage guitars (even modern "remake" versions) typically don't have locking tuners. This is probably because "vintage" usually means pre-1970, while locking tuners came out in the mid-1980's... so I would have no issue with that being the case for the McCarty series.

But, seems I'm the only one that's bugged by an intended-to-be-modern $1500 guitar not even having locking tuners. Understood, loud and clear.

Actually, I agree with you regards the tuners, but coughed up the obligatory price for locking tuners, because I felt it would stabilize my SE's tuning. I didn't question why there weren't locking tuners to begin with, just accepted the fact as a reason for upgrading my guitar...

Back