Removing pickup covers from a 594.

Isaac cruz

If I remove the pickup covers from my 594 SC, is it possible to put them back later? Also, which color are the pickups inside them?

Yes, it's reversible, but first ask yourself why you're modding these rare and valuable pickups.

I would assume the coils are black, but who knows.

Yes, it's reversible, but first ask yourself why you're modding these rare and valuable pickups.

I would assume the coils are black, but who knows.

I tend to prefer the sound of uncovered pickups. I’s subtle, but I do hear it.

I'm curious if the covered ones have squabbins. Can't see them fitting inside a cover.

Yes you can remove the covers from any pickup, so slow be patent so as not to bend the cover or damage the pickup with to much heat.
the covered pickups are not square bobbin

It takes a really good Expensive soldering iron or really really good one. even then the entire pickup gets extremely hot. The wax potting will melt.
I've removed pickup covers three times now, the second two times I've used an extremely brand-new ultra sharp razor blade Utility knife works well,
much safer for the pickup, if you do it very slowly and cut very close to the edge of the cover, Once you've cut about cut about halfway The last little piece of solder just breaks away from the cover. Just be careful not to stick the knife into the wound portion of the pickups.

I much prefer the uncovered tone.

It takes a really good Expensive soldering iron or really really good one. even then the entire pickup gets extremely hot. The wax potting will melt.
I've removed pickup covers three times now, the second two times I've used an extremely brand-new ultra sharp razor blade Utility knife works well,
much safer for the pickup, if you do it very slowly and cut very close to the edge of the cover, Once you've cut about cut about halfway The last little piece of solder just breaks away from the cover. Just be careful not to stick the knife into the wound portion of the pickups.

I much prefer the uncovered tone.

How do you get the wax off of the top of the pickup?

How do you get the wax off of the top of the pickup?
A blow torch. :eek: And if that's too hot, a hair dryer on low-medium - just enought to melt/soften the wax, that you can wipe it off with a rag.

P.S. Just kidding about the blow torch

A blow torch. :eek: And if that's too hot, a hair dryer on low-medium - just enought to melt/soften the wax, that you can wipe it off with a rag.

P.S. Just kidding about the blow torch
The plastic bobbins, actually repel the wax quite well, they come out surprisingly clean, most of the wax stays in the metal cover.
I have some oily rags that seemed to clean the pickup surface Nicely. There's actually very little cleaning needed pop it off, and you're basically ready to go. Actually a little bit of liquid car wax will clean it up as well since that solvent already dissolves wax. Also scraping with a popsicle stick removes the wax. Don't use isopropyl or acetone not great solvents for wax.
KZ9bcjE.jpg

Back