Recommended SE Standard 24 Truss Rod Wrench

dysh

Hey, I bought a used SE 24, and I love it, but it didn't come with a truss rod wrench. I checked the official store and they don't sell one that fits the SE series, and the ones I checked on Amazon are apparently too long to fit in the cavity.

Do you know where I could buy an official PRS wrench that fits my guitar, or have a recommendation for a non-official wrench?

Thank you.

I think it's a 5/16". You can get it from PRS, just click on the prsguitars.com link at the top of the page.

Isn't the nut in the SE series 7mm, not 5/16"?

I'm worried that the one I buy wouldn't fit inside the truss rod cavity. I looked at one made by 'MusicNomad' that seemed to fit the bill, but a review mentioned having to shave the back of the wrench to make it fit inside the cavity, and it wasn't even that long.

Last edited:
Like I said in my OP, the kit they sell at the official store does not fit the import line. SE line uses a 7mm wrench, the U.S. models use 5/16", which is 7.9mm. I'm not sure using a larger size would be a good idea.

Anyway, I emailed PRS customer support last night and hopefully they'll be able to help.

Last edited:
I just recently bought a set of three truss rod wrenches from Stew Mac. 1/4", 9/32", and 5/16". I used the 9/32" to adjust my SE Hollowbody neck last weekend with no issues. It's only .006" larger across the flats so you shouldn't have a problem with rounding off the nut.

Hey, sorry if I gave you bad info. When I read the PRS description it seemed to imply that the wrench would fit both SE and US. Sorry about that.

I just recently bought a set of three truss rod wrenches from Stew Mac. 1/4", 9/32", and 5/16". I used the 9/32" to adjust my SE Hollowbody neck last weekend with no issues. It's only .006" larger across the flats so you shouldn't have a problem with rounding off the nut.

Thank you.

Hey, sorry if I gave you bad info. When I read the PRS description it seemed to imply that the wrench would fit both SE and US. Sorry about that.

No worries.

I'm having a similar problem; I got a wrench with my SE Cust24, but it won't fit the nut...it just spins over it like it's too big. It gets weirder, though. A standard 5/16 socket will fit the guitar's truss adjustment nut, as will an 8MM...and a 5/16 hex bolt head WILL fit and be turned by the included truss rod wrench...but the wrench still won't move the nut on the guitar. To clarify: the included wrench WILL move any other 5/16 or 8MM nut (so it's not defective, per se), but not the one on the guitar, which CAN be moved by any other 5/16 or 8MM socket. This has baffled two trained luthiers who could find nothing wrong with the wrench or the nut. It's super odd; I feel like if I stare at it long enough, a portal might open and giant, hyperintelligent, dimension-traversing woodlice will pour out of it to steal earth's women and precious metals.

...I realize only now that this may be over-sharing. :)

The point: a 5/16 or 8MM will fit an Indonesian SE model truss rod adjustment nut, but the wrench is apparently some kind of anomaly that may or may not cause a tear in spacetime.

[QUOTE="ThatAwfulNoise, post: 622153, member: 38354")]
The point: a 5/16 or 8MM will fit an Indonesian SE model truss rod adjustment nut, but the wrench is apparently some kind of anomaly that may or may not cause a tear in spacetime.[/QUOTE]

I hear CERN is still researching truss rod wrenches. Surely a Neil DeGrasse Tyson documentary will be coming soon explaining it to us laymen.

Good timing! I was just looking for a truss wrench for my PRS SE Standard 24. I emailed Sweetwater where I bought the guitar from and they recommended the same MusicNomad wrench you were looking at (probably). I'll give it a try and let you know if it fits mine.

Good timing! I was just looking for a truss wrench for my PRS SE Standard 24. I emailed Sweetwater where I bought the guitar from and they recommended the same MusicNomad wrench you were looking at (probably). I'll give it a try and let you know if it fits mine.

Thank you. Hopefully it works for you, unlike the Amazon customer who said it didn't fit in his truss rod cavity and he had to sand it down.

The 5/16" I ordered just arrived today and it doesn't fit! It's way too big for the nut. Which implies my nut is a 7mm like yours. Have you had any luck yet dysh?

I know I'm new here, so I don't want you to think I'm spamming. But I have to say that Sweetwater just emailed me today apologizing for the mixup on the 5/16" truss wrench. They're sending me a 7mm truss wrench at their cost!

Back