Recommend me a nickel cover for my HFS/Vintage pickups...

Drew816

PRS Gurus,

My CE24 needs a set of nickel covers, yes it's purely looks but help a brother out! I believe the spacing on the poles is 49.2 mm on these pickups, so what all nickel covers have you all used with success? I see 48, 50 and 52 mm spacing advertised...

And yes, all nickel and not brass with nickel.

Thanks!

Great idea ^^
It's only for the look ? There is no chance of the sound ?

Well it will "color" the sound somewhat, we'll see just how much.

But the black/black on this top don't look great and I thought I'd try nickel covers first and if I have to go to Zebra's later if I'm not happy with the results (I'm a Wolfetone guy, A2 low to mid wind).

Thanks!

I check my pick up and I'm not sure you can put a cover without changing the mounting rings or modified them.
There's not enough space to place the cover between the pickup and the mounting ring.

I check my pick up and I'm not sure you can put a cover without changing the mounting rings or modified them.
There's not enough space to place the cover between the pickup and the mounting ring.
Or routing out the holes a smidge.

Your CE is the modern version with square pickup bobbins and so there is no way to put a standard humbucker cover on it. I have a Custom 22 with squabins and I love them!

Your CE is the modern version with square pickup bobbins and so there is no way to put a standard humbucker cover on it. I have a Custom 22 with squabins and I love them!

Thanks for the information, I didn't know that.
In fact I like the way they design this square pickups, they are niccer, and specific to PRS so.
I was asking myself if I will put or not this cover, (but I don't find anodised black instead of paint black) so the choice is made, they will stay naked ^^.

Last edited:
5ByPcFY.jpg

MgA6JuD.jpg

Crappy photos of the guitar and top, but good shots of the pickup covers aged and installed. These were the Philly Luthier all nickel covers, a little work, a little acid fume exposure and some setup later and there you go. I can tell no different in tone but I "see" a huge improvement in looks, and that's important. ;)

Thanks for the suggestions and enjoy!

5ByPcFY.jpg

MgA6JuD.jpg

Crappy photos of the guitar and top, but good shots of the pickup covers aged and installed. These were the Philly Luthier all nickel covers, a little work, a little acid fume exposure and some setup later and there you go. I can tell no different in tone but I "see" a huge improvement in looks, and that's important. ;)

Looks like a million bucks!

5ByPcFY.jpg

MgA6JuD.jpg

I approve!

They do change the sound a little IME, and I prefer most humbuckers with covers!

this youtube duder I follow called Johan Segeborn has put some rudimentary videos up about the differences

I also prefer they way they look on maple topped guitars. Open coils have a place though, and I actually really like the newer PRS square bobbins, they're awesome.

Back