Random. No more or less

It's been rough lately, but a few recent minor achievements:

- Despite all the challenges, anxiety, and lack of sleep, I managed to complete administering IV antibiotics to my dad via a PICC line. It was every eight hours (and making sure to remove a bag from the fridge two hours prior to each dose) for 10 days. My only previous medical experience was a terrible semester of pre-med in the mid 1980s. And having a PICC line myself for five months, but nurses handled that.
- I think my car repairs are complete, and I have the rebuilt title inspection Friday. Sadly I hit a deer last October, the body shop decided the whole front needed painted, upping the estimate to total loss category. So I've been fixing it myself, with no real experience in that, either. I think I managed. Repairs were put on hold when my dad became ill.
- I'm recovering as that and other stuff had me rather exhausted for a bit.
- Even gave myself a haircut as the storm rolled in last night.
- I've been shopping for another car while fixing my old one. It's not been a great time, and I happened to think the next vehicle I buy will likely be my last, barring another accident.

Happy 2024, all!

It's been rough lately, but a few recent minor achievements:

- Despite all the challenges, anxiety, and lack of sleep, I managed to complete administering IV antibiotics to my dad via a PICC line. It was every eight hours (and making sure to remove a bag from the fridge two hours prior to each dose) for 10 days. My only previous medical experience was a terrible semester of pre-med in the mid 1980s. And having a PICC line myself for five months, but nurses handled that.
- I think my car repairs are complete, and I have the rebuilt title inspection Friday. Sadly I hit a deer last October, the body shop decided the whole front needed painted, upping the estimate to total loss category. So I've been fixing it myself, with no real experience in that, either. I think I managed. Repairs were put on hold when my dad became ill.
- I'm recovering as that and other stuff had me rather exhausted for a bit.
- Even gave myself a haircut as the storm rolled in last night.
- I've been shopping for another car while fixing my old one. It's not been a great time, and I happened to think the next vehicle I buy will likely be my last, barring another accident.

Happy 2024, all!
Keep up the good work! Sounds like you have things under control!! Times are tough for a lot of us, we just need to keep on keepin' on!!! Hope your 2024 treats you well ;~))

Keep up the good work! Sounds like you have things under control!! Times are tough for a lot of us, we just need to keep on keepin' on!!! Hope your 2024 treats you well ;~))
Thanks. Although I feel less like I have things under control and more that I'm just managing to keep them from crossing an event horizon. Hope your 2024 treats you well, too!

I would say best you got the equipment out to make sure all is running proper rather than waiting for the big one to find out something was amiss! Looks like a great spot to call home!!
Thanks pal, I do love it here even if I do gripe about the cold and excessive snow sometimes. And yes, I make certain my SxS is well prepped for the winter months. not much needs to be done with shovels except for the condition of the operator! ;)
We don't actually spend any time on the lake anymore, my boat has been in the garage for 15 or more years, and neither of us can waterski anymore. At least not the way we are accustomed to. I ran a competition slalom ski so both feet in full bindings/boots is a bit hard on my old joints and legs coming out of the water. Missus has a cervical spin issue so can't afford the risk of an arse-over-teakettle spill. And riding a tube or other wave toy just isn't the same unless the boat driver isn't giving you the "best ride" if you catch my drift.
I'm about to step outside and shovel and plow before heading off to the city with my brother, he has a rheumatologist appointment and the weather is a bit dicey so I want to keep him company. He's pretty stressed out over his wife's advancing decline with her tumor. Just want to be as supportive as I can. It's not at the really terrible stage yet, but it's coming.
Herself and I had a serious discussion about facing similar situations last night. Not a pleasant subject, but something that does have some needed forethought. Having spent 40 years in a hospital environment, she has had some very trying personal experiences with palliative care and patient comfort.

Thanks pal, I do love it here even if I do gripe about the cold and excessive snow sometimes. And yes, I make certain my SxS is well prepped for the winter months. not much needs to be done with shovels except for the condition of the operator! ;)
We don't actually spend any time on the lake anymore, my boat has been in the garage for 15 or more years, and neither of us can waterski anymore. At least not the way we are accustomed to. I ran a competition slalom ski so both feet in full bindings/boots is a bit hard on my old joints and legs coming out of the water. Missus has a cervical spin issue so can't afford the risk of an arse-over-teakettle spill. And riding a tube or other wave toy just isn't the same unless the boat driver isn't giving you the "best ride" if you catch my drift.
I'm about to step outside and shovel and plow before heading off to the city with my brother, he has a rheumatologist appointment and the weather is a bit dicey so I want to keep him company. He's pretty stressed out over his wife's advancing decline with her tumor. Just want to be as supportive as I can. It's not at the really terrible stage yet, but it's coming.
Herself and I had a serious discussion about facing similar situations last night. Not a pleasant subject, but something that does have some needed forethought. Having spent 40 years in a hospital environment, she has had some very trying personal experiences with palliative care and patient comfort.
You are extremely tenacious. You just keep going! I love it. Life has been extremely tough for some of us but we are the CHAMPIONS because we manage to take everything that is thrown at us in stride even with tears thrown in the mix.

We truly are CHAMPIONS! Listen to the lyrics. They hit home every time. I don’t listen to the lyrics of a song hardly ever but these words have a great meaning for me personally.

Yeah! My hubby is up and taking his first few steps since October of last year. He finally got his thigh to ankle cast off and he has a walking cast on. He’s very awkward and someone anyone has to walk arm in arm with him for balance. That damned stinking wheel chair is just an awkward piece to try and lift by myself in the back of the truck. Not anymore! I started weight training again and it really helps with all the physical aspects of taking care of him.

1 more surgery to go I hope. This will be his 6th surgery over the course of 4 years.

This has made me so tough and diverse. Throw anything at me. I can handle it. It may be disgusting, gross or just plain stress but I will get the job done. I don’t have a choice.

A distant friend of mine has cancer. His wife divorced him because of it. How can someone do that in your absolute time of need?

You are extremely tenacious. You just keep going! I love it. Life has been extremely tough for some of us but we are the CHAMPIONS because we manage to take everything that is thrown at us in stride even with tears thrown in the mix.

We truly are CHAMPIONS! Listen to the lyrics. They hit home every time. I don’t listen to the lyrics of a song hardly ever but these words have a great meaning for me personally.

Thanks for the upvote Lola. Yesterday was a cleansing day for my brother I think. He has endured so much in the last two years, first his 40 year old daughter to leukemia 16 months ago and now his wife of 48 years will succumb to this horrible tumor. I'm no saint but I like to think I did something good for a troubled soul and mentor yesterday. He and I have been business partners since the mid 70's and he was always my guiding hand in making me a better, smarter businessman. I owe him more than I can ever repay in so many ways.
True, that song has very deep meaning in the lyrics. Far too often it gets applied to sports titles, and fair play for it. But on a personal level it is way more profound.

Yeah! My hubby is up and taking his first few steps since October of last year. He finally got his thigh to ankle cast off and he has a walking cast on. He’s very awkward and someone anyone has to walk arm in arm with him for balance. That damned stinking wheel chair is just an awkward piece to try and lift by myself in the back of the truck. Not anymore! I started weight training again and it really helps with all the physical aspects of taking care of him.

1 more surgery to go I hope. This will be his 6th surgery over the course of 4 years.

This has made me so tough and diverse. Throw anything at me. I can handle it. It may be disgusting, gross or just plain stress but I will get the job done. I don’t have a choice.

A distant friend of mine has cancer. His wife divorced him because of it. How can someone do that in your absolute time of need?
Congrats to the hubby on the returning mobility! That is a big step (pun intended)!!

Yes, you are a Champion for what you are enduring and still being able to talk about it with grace! I should probably learn that song ;~))
EDIT: Maybe I WON'T learn to play that song considering it has over 20 chords. It's not that I can play any of the chords, but I am going to have trouble remembering all of them in the proper order as well as their fingerings ;~(( Oh well, "We Will Rock You" is easy enough, I'll go for that!!!

Sucks with your friend and his wife. As for absolute times of need, there are plenty who abandon their friends and family in troubled times. Look at what our society does with the elderly. Ship them off to a home where someone else can take care of them. And these are the people who raised us, took care of us in our formative years and most critical times of need, but we don't have the time to care for them in their closing years! Disgusting IMO, but stories like the one with your friend do not surprise me anymore ;~((

Have a great day Miss Lola and be sure to pick up your guitar, I am sure it would like to have a word with you (it too has needs - he he)!

Last edited:
So my puppy Blade now comes and watches me do laundry because I wrap him up in one of my T-shirt’s straight from the dryer. I fold that one and then cover with a nice fresh warm garment! He loves it and really what’s another dog hair?

Another day in paradise...-42c/-44f! Day 4 of the arrival of the Polar Vortex...Low at my place yesterday was -44c/-46.8f, -46c (-51f) at the Edmonton International Airport 2 hours south of me This is nothing new under the sun (wherever in the H.E. double hockey sticks it's hiding) out here, it really does happen every year.
But there is one huge difference... last evening the level of intelligence of the utilities/power grid gurus dropped to a new level of stupid: they sent out an alert stating we should all cut back on power consumption to avoid rolling interruptions. No space heaters, no heat pumps (not that they actually work below -15*c anyway), no vehicle block heaters, please do not charge your EV (?... like who in their right head has one in this frozen waste?), and cook with your microwave not your stovetop! Really? And they want us to transition from those Godawful petroleum products to more E-juice...
I do my part for the green movement: I play electric guitars.

@Daryl Jones i would enjoy these weather conditions. If you wear the right gear your fine. I have skidooed in -30 weather. You have to dress for it. The only thing that bugs me is when nature calls in the middle of the bush. Now that’s annoying to have to shed a million layers of clothes.

This is just crazy! All the anxiety and stuff( on-going court case, hubby’s surgery and work). I am experiencing lately is manifesting itself into horrible panic attacks. I sm just burnt out to a crisp all most. It’s 4:30 am and I have been pacing, and just experiencing the worst anxiety ever. I even tried to distract myself learning a new song and that didn’t even work! We have a service in Canada, it’s 211. It’s a mental health service that they connect you with counselling right away 24/7. This person was absolutely amazing. We talked about what was bothering me. I told her about all the things that I am currently experiencing. We talked about everything for 20 minutes and then she suggested we do some deep breathing exercises together. We did that and then we talked some more. I thanked her profusely for her kind words and positive thoughts. She was so kind. And now I feel so much better. Just for the sake if riding it out with words. What a relief. You have no idea unless you experience panic/anxiety attacks.

I did phone another service but they wanted too much personal info so I just said good bye.

I am so fortunate to have services like this available at my fingertips 24/7.

I also know that if things get really bad and I can phone 911 I can request and officer to come and meet me and sit and talk with me until the BS subsides.

Everything just seems to crashing down on my shoulders. And I also found out that my seizures coukd be due to all this stupid stress I’m my life.
I just can’t absorb the anxiety and go with the flow. I just can’t.

This is just crazy! All the anxiety and stuff( on-going court case, hubby’s surgery and work). I am experiencing lately is manifesting itself into horrible panic attacks. I sm just burnt out to a crisp all most. It’s 4:30 am and I have been pacing, and just experiencing the worst anxiety ever. I even tried to distract myself learning a new song and that didn’t even work! We have a service in Canada, it’s 211. It’s a mental health service that they connect you with counselling right away 24/7. This person was absolutely amazing. We talked about what was bothering me. I told her about all the things that I am currently experiencing. We talked about everything for 20 minutes and then she suggested we do some deep breathing exercises together. We did that and then we talked some more. I thanked her profusely for her kind words and positive thoughts. She was so kind. And now I feel so much better. Just for the sake if riding it out with words. What a relief. You have no idea unless you experience panic/anxiety attacks.

I did phone another service but they wanted too much personal info so I just said good bye.

I am so fortunate to have services like this available at my fingertips 24/7.

I also know that if things get really bad and I can phone 911 I can request and officer to come and meet me and sit and talk with me until the BS subsides.

Everything just seems to crashing down on my shoulders. And I also found out that my seizures coukd be due to all this stupid stress I’m my life.
I just can’t absorb the anxiety and go with the flow. I just can’t.
Do you think your son may be able to settle you a bit? I would not hesitate to call him if you think he could help!! Stay strong Miss Lola, stay strong, the world needs Rockers like you!!!

Lola, I won't even mention what happened to my mother-in-law while snowmobiling and nature called, pretty sure you can guess with multi-layered clothing!:eek: But there is hope on the weather front, it only went to -38 last night haha.
I worked with a gal that suffered from anxiety attacks, had to work through a few of them with her over the years. Felt so terrible for her, but she's a trooper like you. Never be afraid to reach out when the options are there. Glad you managed!

ForTheRecord.jpg

So I am trying to talk my husband into get a black and tan male Doberman. If I am off the next day from work I will saddle up all four dogs late in the evening and go through the trails with them. I am in love with Dobermans.we had 6 over the course of 14 years. Loyal, protective to a T and a intelligent companion. It’s all in how you raise your dogs. Actually they are smarter then some ppl I know. They were are babysitters while the boys were young. Hi had Hammer, Dudley, Hank, Diesel and Jesse. I miss them a lot.

Last edited:
We do greyhounds. Retired racers. We are on #3 and #4. It's kind of a cult LOL. Tracks are being closed all over the US in recent years, so they are getting harder to get. Our rescue group has been getting them from Ireland and China recently. In China the are rescued from the FOOD trade (!!!). Our current boy came from Ireland, Riley (in honor of Riley B. King.) His angel brother (passed) was Stevie (Ray Vaughan).

Lola, my photographer friend is a Dobie gal. The first one she got through a breeder, but since she lost him, she has gotten two absolutely adorable fur souls from a rescue. And yes, they are loyal, loving and can be very protective depending. Her second (1st rescue) dog Zeke, had some baggage from a previous life of brutality (who does that s**t?) but with a ton of patience she brought him around to the point she could take him anywhere without fear of him lashing out at people at all. Unless they tried to harm his adoptive Mom that is. He was in a word, amazing. He died a year ago November of heart failure and it devastated her. Last March, she went again to California to the same rescue where she found Zeke and came home with a female Doberman Mary-Belle. She is the most loving, trusting dog I think I have ever met. Left to their own devices and with proper human care and training, Doberman's are incredible; not at all the fearsome attack beasts many believe them to be. Like any other larger canine breed (and some small), if they are left without proper instruction and care, they grow to be undisciplined hellions. But Anett isn't your average dog owner/parent. She takes her dogs everywhere, leaving them only on rare occasions with human souls of pure heart and knows she can trust implicitly. And it shows. If only some human parents would take such care with their own offspring, this world would be a much better place.

Back