Random. No more or less

DANG! Thursday it was Opening Day here and it was 59 degrees. We sat next to a nice couple from Canada, who was going to do a two week baseball tour of the US. They were hitting St. Louis, Kansas City, then Chicago, Minnesota and Milwaukee on the way back north. He was very nice. I talked to him the whole game. They were from Ottowa.

And, since he was form Canada, I asked him if he knew you. :D
Your sense of humour never ceases to make me laugh!

Of course he would know me. Who doesn’t know me in Canada? I am famous for many things!! Lol no comments from the peanut gallery! Lol

It took me a way too long to figure out that perfectionism is so evil. I really assumed that this is indeed the way I should think if I want to attain the lofty goals that I want aspire to. It’s oppressive in the making. Last night when I started to practice, I made a pact with myself to just play and forget about note for note perfectionism. And…I nailed a little solo that has been dogging me for a while. This is before the hand fiasco. I did it and let out a shout of joy. I can’t believe how happy this made me!!! Like really motivated to get on with the program I have set up for myself. It’s little “aha” moments that keep me so excited about this hunk of wood with strings on it!

I love that you found that zone. It's where you respond to the music and the vibe spontaneously, instead of counterproductive, self-critical thinking. I think everyone plays best when they're in that zone.

So yes, it's great!

Clients sometimes ask me what I was thinking about when coming up with a good musical idea. I always say, "I don't think about anything, it just happens."

One time that got me in trouble with a client.

I was in a meeting with a car company's brass, along with the ad agency. The client said, "I really like this piece. How did you come up with it?"

I gave my usual answer: "I just responded to picture intuitively and did what felt right."

After the meeting the agency person told me off: "You were supposed to say you followed our direction!!"

I said, "Please don't take me to any more meetings. I don't speak Corporate." Last corporate meeting I ever attended. What bullsh!t. It's about the picture, and how the music works with the picture, it's not about your well-intentioned-but-often-useless direction. Get over yourselves.

"Would you tell a client that, Les?"

"I have."

"Did you keep the client?"

"I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that it might reduce my income." ;)

Last edited:
I love that you found that zone. It's where you respond to the music and the vibe spontaneously, instead of counterproductive, self-critical thinking. I think everyone plays best when they're in that zone.

So yes, it's great!

Clients sometimes ask me what I was thinking about when coming up with a good musical idea. I always say, "I don't think about anything, it just happens."

One time that got me in trouble with a client.

I was in a meeting with a car company's brass, along with the ad agency. The client said, "I really like this piece. How did you come up with it?"

I gave my usual answer: "I just responded to picture intuitively and did what felt right."

After the meeting the agency person told me off: "You were supposed to say you followed our direction!!"

I said, "Please don't take me to any more meetings. I don't speak Corporate." Last corporate meeting I ever attended. What bullsh!t. It's about the picture, and how the music works with the picture, it's not about your well-intentioned-but-often-useless direction. Get over yourselves.

"Would you tell a client that, Les?"

"I have."

"Did you keep the client?"

"I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that it might reduce my income." ;)

I’ve avoided this sort of BS for the last 18 years at work.

Recently I stuck my head above the parapet, foolishly, reminding why I will never be anything more than “just a chef”.

I’ve avoided this sort of BS for the last 18 years at work.

Recently I stuck my head above the parapet, foolishly, reminding why I will never be anything more than “just a chef”.
are you really a chef? i always thought that was an 'under siege' reference.

It’s extremely hard for some of us to let go of the need to be perfect. My dad was a very strict military man. He demanded perfection. If you didn’t perform to his expectations the repercussions were horrible. Being perfect is ingrained in me with everything I do. It trickled down to my guitar playing. It was out of my control. But now I have to conscientiously make myself stop thinking like that. I am having a hard time with it. I keep trying and won’t let up on myself.

The way I was raised to be perfect has caused so much difficulty in my life. It’s not drama it’s reality. It’s a very serious matter and should never be taken lightly! :(

Last edited:
I do have friends in Ottawa. About 1/3 of my engineering class went there when they graduated. One friend does do a similar baseball tour from time to time, but usually later in the season.
This gentleman had a big interest in baseball. Jays fan, used to follow the Expos as well. Said they come down every year at least once or twice and do a week to two weeks baseball tour. He asked if I played and I told him I played when I was younger, and then played competitive softball into my mid 50s. He said he'd coached all three of his sons in baseball. We talked about how different baseball is in Canada vs. my area vs. the sounth.

I did mention that the only people I knew from Canada were my friends in a guitar forum, and the guys that run the fishing camp we go to. He didn't ask anything about the guitar forum, but did say he had been to Nipissing, and, he used to have a cabin on the lake nearest where he lives, but sold it when he retired.

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally oblivious to your referencing. Now I get it.

Trust me today will be a getting used to everything again and dealing with some very incompetent staff. They’re still at work. I was hoping maybe one or two of them would get let go by now. Must remind myself to keep counting the days! And the total is 420 days left. What a coincidence. Lol

Anyhow I have a nice piece of Sativa chocolate. I have it all planned! Lol

It’s going to be 4/20 at 4/20 today. Get my headphones on and go for a nice long walk with the dogs. So far that’s the highlight of my day NOT going back to work! Yuck!

Nah today! Celebrations are in order. I just found out I only have to work 2 days a week for the month of April! They are using my allotted vacation hours before the deadline at the end of April. 10 hours is what I am working per week. That is a reason for a HUGE celebration. Party as soon as I get home. I am on a mission to just have a really fun, lighthearted day. Things haven’t changed one iota at work! Same shite show as before. 14 months left and counting! :)))))

Cranking ACDC. I bought my studio monitors to work with me.
Double rock fingers.

Back