Question regarding wiring

Paz

Hi all,

A set of bare knuckle crawler pickups have come up for sale, however the owner said he had the bridge pickup wired for a coil tap set up. Also he doesn’t know if the neck magnet has been reversed.

I am unsure whether these will work with my 5 way blade configuration. Could somebody advise please?

Many thanks
Dan

BKP pickups are just about all 4-wire, so you can use a 5-way blade like PRS does. Unless someone has opened and reversed the magnet, your neck pickup should be oriented correctly. The middle position will tell all.

Check this out:

Or better yet, check this out since the PRS wire coloring is mysterious, not consistent through models or years, etc.:

But shouldn’t the neck magnet be reversed anyway? In order to work with the 5 way blade?

But shouldn’t the neck magnet be reversed anyway? In order to work with the 5 way blade?
I wasn't sure whether you were referring to the previous owner "reversing it from stock". Unless the pickup has been altered, it will be oriented and wound properly. Magnets inside humbuckers are not generally reversed from each other, they are simply constructed similarly and then installed in a rotated fashion with the neck screw coil pointing towards the headstock, and the bridge screw coil pointed towards the bridge (outwards facing on both). This does not alter their phase because the coils are still wound in the same direction no matter where the pickup is pointed. The phase would be altered by opening the pickup and flipping the magnet, which you normally wouldn't do. Unless other merry tinkerers would disagree.... That would flip the polarity of the magnet itself, and thus reverse the phase of the coil windings.

Last edited:
I understand your points, however I was always told by the guys at bare knuckle to put a note saying 'reverse neck magnet' which is why I’m hesitant to order second hand, as this might not have been done.

Hold the two pickups face to face. Screw coil to screw coil and slug to slug.

If the two pickups are magnetically in phase they will repel.

If out of phase they will attract.

The phase would be altered by opening the pickup and flipping the magnet, which you normally wouldn't do. Unless other merry tinkerers would disagree.... That would flip the polarity of the magnet itself, and thus reverse the phase of the coil windings.
Can always swap wires too

Edit-just read your earlier post. Yes OP, how many wires are the pickups? If it's 4 wire don't worry about phase. You just swap 2 wires.

Can always swap wires too

Edit-just read your earlier post. Yes OP, how many wires are the pickups? If it's 4 wire don't worry about phase. You just swap 2 wires.
They’re 4 wire, maybe I will be ok ordering second hand after all!

Back