Question regarding the 305/513 Neck Joint

UnderPRSt

Hi all,

I'm new to PRS and recently acquired a 305. I absolutely love it, but I've noticed that it sports a rather odd neck joint as does the 513 when compared to the other PRS models.

Does anyone know why the neck joints on these guitars are different? Is it to accommodate the longer scale lengths or something? Or is it just to differentiate the models or what?

PS - the sustain on this thing is incredible. :rock:

I think it's because of the extra deep pickups they share. The neck joint had to be redesigned as the pickup routing removed too much wood/strength from the standard one.

I've never really played a 513 or 305. I should give one a go sometime. That neck joint always baffled me.

I think it's because of the extra deep pickups they share. The neck joint had to be redesigned as the pickup routing removed too much wood/strength from the standard one.

Really? I had no idea they were deep. I thought that was the Narrowfields? If it's both, I suppose that makes sense.

I've never really played a 513 or 305. I should give one a go sometime. That neck joint always baffled me.

Honestly, you don't feel it at all. I've just been curious. The tone is wonderful on the 305. Higher output than a Stratocaster, very bright, very clear and the sustain is fantastic. It's kind of a shame that PRS will offer the 513 in 10 tops and Artist tops, but not the 305. I bet they'd sell a lot more if they did!

As for the 513, I've never actually played one, but I have to imagine that they're pretty darn nice. If they're like my 305 (which they should be, considering 305s are based off them,) then they must be great!

EDIT: Grammar

Last edited:
Nope, Narrowfields aren't really that deep. No deeper than a standard humbucker from memory.

I could be wrong about the 305/513 pickups:

"Then there’s the neck joint. The body extends under the heel of the neck and ‘grabs’ the heel – a seemingly minor change but one that Paul Reed Smith believes helps to produce more low-end to try and get more of a single-cut sound from a double-cut guitar."

From a MusicRadar review

It isn't to accomodate the longer scale length. On the 305's and 513's, the body extends under the heel because the neck tenon doesn't extend under the neck pickup, like it would in say, a Custom 24.

All correct. No tenon under the first pick up which is very deep due to the magnet mounted on the PC board below. Gives the neck joint a stiffness similar to that on a Singlecut.

Back