Question about Bluetooth...

Lewguitar

Old Know It All
Does Bluetooth just break sometimes so that a stereo receiver would have to be replaced with a new one?

My Sony DH590 receiver will not show up as a Bluetooth device on any of my lap tops or iphone. It worked perfectly until this passed weekend. Now it doesn't show up as a discoverable device on any list on any of my lap tops or my iPhone.

For now, I've turned Bluetooth off on every device except the receiver.

It's maddening.

I've tried every possible thing i can find online and in the manual o make it discoverable. Read the manual over and over,

Nothing works.

Anyone know the secret? Or do I need a new $400 receiver?

Last edited:
If there is a secret please share when you discover it!
I have the same sh!t in one of my cars, BT worked for months on the Pioneer head unit, then just stopped being visible from my phone.
Spent way too much time trying to get it back visible, nothing I can find has helped.
So yes maybe the BT part of the gear does just break?

As a followup after over 30 years as a failure analyisis engineer I can tell you the old Zen saying is VERY true: All things are impermanent.
Or in engineer terms , all hardware eventually fails, and that failure is a metric we track ..all the time.

Reporting the failure on the vendor forum may not seem to get you any satisfaction ... and for now the solution may be the "replace" option as unpalatable as that is. ...

but somewhere there is an engineer reading about that failure and knowing that it's another problem to fix ... suprising to most lay people is those fixes typically take 6 months or more as 90 day regression testing is fairly standard practice AFTER the fix is identified.

As a followup after over 30 years as a failure analyisis engineer I can tell you the old Zen saying is VERY true: All things are impermanent.
Or in engineer terms , all hardware eventually fails, and that failure is a metric we track ..all the time.

Reporting the failure on the vendor forum may not seem to get you any satisfaction ... and for now the solution may be the "replace" option as unpalatable as that is. ...

but somewhere there is an engineer reading about that failure and knowing that it's another problem to fix ... suprising to most lay people is those fixes typically take 6 months or more as 90 day regression testing is fairly standard practice AFTER the fix is identified.
Ouch. The worst part of this (maybe) is that I just bought a new Lenovo laptop.

I thought it was the lap top's problem so i called Lenovo and they took me through a process to uninstall Bluetooth and then automatically reinstall it.

Now it's uninstalled but it didn't automatically reinstall!

Now Lenovo wants me to ship the new laptop back to them so they can install it.

That new laptop has everything on it. Banking info, passwords, lyrics, songlists.......

I can't just delete everything and send it back.

But be that as it may, I have two other old laptops and an iPhone and none will connect with this Sony receiver now. Although they all used to.

Last edited:
Yeah, I dunno… I had these fans/lights/speakers installed in both my bathrooms and same thing, one day they just stopped being available as a Bluetooth option.

Doesn’t matter what device I’m trying to connect it with.
Wow! I fixed it.

I unplugged the Sony Receiver from the wall for a while and read on Sony's help site a suggestion that I plug it in, turn it off and then hold the ON/OFF button down for 5 seconds until the display flashed CLEARED.

This restores the receiver's default settings.

Took a couple of tries. But then finally when I pressed it back on again a display flashed that said: CLEARED.

I was then able to start streaming music again using Bluetooth on my old laptop.

Thanks to all this BS my new laptop has had the Bluetooth inadvertently uninstalled and it has to be repaired.

But it was the receiver all the time.

Wow! I fixed it.

I unplugged the Sony Receiver from the wall for a while and read on Sony's help site a hard to find suggestion that I should plug it in, turn it off and then hold the ON/OFF button down for 5 seconds until the display flashed CLEARED.

This restored the receiver's default settings.

Took a couple of tries. But then finally when I pressed it back on again a display flashed that said: CLEARED.

I was then able to start streaming music again using Bluetooth on my old laptop.

Thanks to all this BS my new laptop has had the Bluetooth inadvertently uninstalled and it has to be repaired.

You specified that you have tried everything to make it visible, other than doing a full reset, wiping connected devices and redoing the process, I don't see how. Today what is shocking about technology is the difficulty or even the impossibility of repairing it yourself. Damn planned obcolescence.

***great job! you reset it!!

great job! you reset it!!
Not bad for an old geezer.

Wish I hadn't uninstalled Bluetooth on my new laptop tho. Just following direction but it was completely unnecessary.

Dunno if Lenovo will pay the cost to re-install it or not.

The woman I spoke to said that sometimes it doesn't reinstall automatically like it should so I'll call again today.

Wow! I fixed it.

I unplugged the Sony Receiver from the wall for a while and read on Sony's help site a suggestion that I plug it in, turn it off and then hold the ON/OFF button down for 5 seconds until the display flashed CLEARED.

This restores the receiver's default settings.

Cool that you got it fixed. This was the thing that was going through my head as I was reading the thread. Most units have some sort of reset process. That typically works. It is a little troubling that your brand new laptop is having issues reinstalling Bluetooth. It is basically just a driver for the hardware in the laptop.

I took one of my QSC K8 speakers and put it on a pole in my office/music room and bought a cheap Donner Bluetooth receiver and connected it up. I stream music from my phone to it when I am hanging out in here doing things. It was cheap and it works great. If you ever end up in a situation where the Bluetooth module in the stereo fully fails you could use something like that if the stereo has inputs on it.

Thanks. Lenovo is saying my laptop cannot be restored online.. It has to be returned.

Elsewhere I've read that it can be done by restoring settings to an earlier date. Like two weeks ago or something or before the bluetooth was uninstalled. I'm not clear on how to do that.

@Lewguitar what Windows version is on your laptop? Windows 11?
Yes. 11.

Thanks. Lenovo is saying my laptop cannot be restored online.. It has to be returned.

Elsewhere I've read that it can be done by restoring settings to an earlier date. Like two weeks ago or something or before the bluetooth was uninstalled. I'm not clear on how to do that.

Yes. 11.
Yes of course, if you are not sure, let Lenovo take care of the problem for you!

However, I always advise having an external hard drive with backups, photos, documents, and other data since you never know when it will fail! One day I learned it the hard way...

Yes. 11.
Your laptop has to have the system restore feature activated. If it isn't taking backups regularly the restore isn't an option. I am still curious as to why they need it in person. If it was working and they uninstalled software and that broke it, they should be able to reinstall the software. If something is preventing that they should be able to get it to use the standard Windows 11 driver then upgrade the driver.

I feel your pain on sending it in. I bought a Dell that I had to send in like 4 times before they finally got everything working like it should. I had to wiper the machine every time before I sent it in. I did that by doing a new install of the OS on it and blowing away everything that was there. If you had to do that, that process alone may bring it back.

Back