Query re. PRS trem factory setup

mateias

Hi all,

First post here - I'm the new owner of a 2018 Santana Retro. I'm actually the second owner, the first didn't bond with the guitar.

My query concerns the factory setup of the tremolo on this guitar. Do they ship with the bridge flush against the top? At the moment, mine is raised by perhaps .5cm - kind of like Jeff Beck would have on his Strat if that makes any sense.

From what I was told by the person who sold it to me, the previous owner put .011s on it and cranked the action up. The reseller put .010s and dropped the action a bit. I have no idea what the guitar was like from the factory.

Not too keen on the bridge like this, as there isn't a whole lot of downward movement on the trem, and I run into the usual issues with a floating bridge like bending strings and having open ringing strings go out of tune, warble etc.

Sounds like it is set quite high. Both of my trems are set more or less parallel with the strings, which leaves the back of the trem just a couple of mm above the body. Just enough to allow about a whole step of up pitch on the low E string. Sound like it needs a good setup, or you could carefully loosen the strings and tighten the trem springs, but you may then need to adjust the intonation.
You will still get some of the tuning/warble issues, this is unavoidable with a floating trem. You could have it blocked or set it for down only, if this bothers you.

Thanks for that. I don't mind a bit of float - fine with me, thanks for the info :)

I believe the trem should be level with the top of the guitar and roughly the same height as the string on the 12th fret. Its a floating trem system.

This video is a great video of a complete set-up of a PRS Custom 24 with a floating bridge. Its the same set-up as your Santana should be. This set-up is also done to PRS standards rather than a specific person's set-up - some obviously have their own preferences and you may too but its a great starting point for setting up your guitar. If its not quite to your requirements, amend as necessary but if you follow the video, it should leave your guitar set-up to the standard that PRS would send out a guitar to be sold,..

Awesome - thanks for that video. Can't wait to get home and set the tremolo up properly.

Awesome - thanks for that video. Can't wait to get home and set the tremolo up properly.

According to the Video, you need some way of measuring 1/16th or 1.6mm to set up the string height at the 12th as well as the 'height' of the floating bridge - that's the 'magic number' as Cesar says.... He has glued a 1mm and a 0.6mm feeler gauge together to measure. I haven't glued mine but I did move both of my feeler gauges so they are together as my gauge.

As I said, this is 'factory' settings (according to Cesar - I haven't actually double checked) so its a good starting point. You may prefer slightly different settings but the video is a great guide to follow on doing your own set-up. Its the same as I said to some one else r.e. the springs for the tremolo - they may come set-up with 4 springs but you can remove 1 if you prefer - you don't have to set-up exactly like PRS do but the factory settings are the recommended and default settings. At the end of the day, its your guitar and up to you to set it the way it feels most comfortable and what works best for you. Some block trems off completely as that is their preference...

I am sure this video has cropped up many, many times as people ask about set-up. Which reminds me...

@Shawn@PRS - have you (or any one at PRS) considered doing an Official PRS video on set-up with and without the Trem system - inc intonation, pick-up height, string height etc and care advice, how often you (as in PRS) recommend cleaning/conditioning the fretboard etc. You could have one of the PRS staff that does the set-up do one on video, talking through all the stages and giving measurements etc. This seems to crop up quite regularly and could be Pinned in the PTC section. Having video's there could stop a lot of repeated questions on these as well as give people the information and advice needed before getting PTC (or user advice) involved. I know for many, its knowledge they already have but for those new to PRS - whether its a completely new guitar or a used guitar purchase, they have the video's and information on how these instruments 'should' (at least from factory) be set-up and the long term care of it too...

Many thanks all for the help.

I'm competent when setting up guitars, by no means Dan Erlewine though :) With the PRS, because it is such a finely crafted, precision instrument I'm proceeding cautiously. I am impressed so far by the quality of guitar, it is really lovely.

I loosened the strings (changed them actually, they were really heavy like .011s) and put on .009s, and tuned up to pitch. As expected, the bridge was flush with the body.

I slackened the strings, removed the back plate, gradually loosened the claw, retuned etc until I got to what appeared to be an acceptable height (my guitar tools, rules etc are at our rehearsal facility!).
VH03jy7

Once I tuned to pitch it sounded as if there was an intermittent damping sound, and I found that the high E and B were almost fretting out.

Looking at the back of the bridge, it appears that the treble side of the bridge is actually lower. I think that it is vibrating and touching the body when I strike a note/chord (hence the difference in tone) and the strings are fretting out because it is too low.
N1y0Zzg

I know that on my Strats I've got the bridge more or less level, but as I'm not familiar with the PRS I'm a bit reluctant to faff around with the tremolo screws themselves, so I figured I'd ask here first :)

Last edited:
You shouldn't have to mess around with the 6 screws holding the Trem system. if it isn't level, ie it drops lower on the treble side, you can 'slacken' the screw on the treble side of the claw. it may be slightly too tight pulling that side of the bridge down. I don't know if you are using 3 or 4 springs - its possible that one side has more pull from the springs - maybe the springs aren't even/balanced on either side so have greater pull which affects the bridge height.

I honestly don't know if the screws have been 'messed' with by any 'former' owner so I can't say that these are not the problem BUT you really shouldn't mess with these and certainly not under tension. Generally its the claw or the spring balance that is affecting one side of the bridge more. If the trem plate is 'even' height all around - so that its level with the top of the guitar and has the same 'gap' all around, if the string height isn't right, you can raise the saddles a bit to give the same action - assuming the nut is cut right and level at that end of the guitar.

Obviously without seeing the guitar (a picture can be a bit misleading), the bridge, the springs, the claw etc its difficult to give any advice, see what maybe wrong and exactly where any adjustments may be needed to return the guitar to 'factory' set-up standards. Like I said, it could just be a fraction of a turn of the screw on one side of the claw so that that side of the bridge lifts enough to be level. It maybe that one side of the claw has a 'stronger' spring pull, that the springs aren't quite as balanced as they should be.

If you do have to adjust the screws, follow the advice that @garrett linked. They really shouldn't need to be adjusted but you cannot discount that a previous owner may of done something. Maybe someone here can provide more details on these - what height the screw heads all should be above the body so you can check yours. If you have to adjust any, you will need to remove the springs and strings to stop any damage to the knife edge and screws.

Good luck

Thanks for the advice. I'll have a go at loosening the tension on one side of the claw. From experience I don't like messing around with bridge screws; on my Strats - once I get the bridge to where it works and stays in tune, I don't touch them ever again.

Again I have to say I'm really impressed with the quality, fit and finish of this guitar. I'm certainly looking forward to getting better acquainted with it :)

Hi all - tried to get a picture, but it isn't clear. It looks like the middle 4 screws are slightly lower than the outer two - I imagine this isn't optimal.

I'll probably have to take the strings off and have a look, make sure the bridge is in the slots.

Back