Putting Tusq Nut on SE Cu24

Woodfin

Generic question here, because I did take the time to try to read up on what's been posted.

I just replaced nut on SE Cu24 with Tusq PT-6643-00.

Everything went well, except the action is much higher. WAY much higher. So I guess I'll remove the Tusq and sand it down, after measuring everything.

Question : did those of you who did this replacement also have to do a lot (LOT) of sanding on the new tusq to get the action lower? I just want to get a basic sanity check on what I'm seeing, as I'm new.

Thanks!!!!!!

Edit : as an FYI, the guitar and action were great before change, just wanted to improve tuning and quit hitting my hand on that old clunker

Andy, it looks like I might have to sand this thing down at least 1/8 of an inch, which is more than I'd expected. Does that seem reasonable to you - is it near what you had to do? Thanks!

I did not take measurements. I probably should have. :( I'm still learning.

I did get this from the PRS site (below) which hopefully is all I need :

Measure the distance from top of fret to bottom of string while depressing the string at the 1st and last fret: Relief should measure .005 - .010" at the 8th fret.

Once the relief has been set, measurements for string height should be as follows: (measures top of fret to bottom of string):

• Bass side string height 1st fret: 1.5/64”
  • Treble side string height 1st fret: 1/64”
  • Bass-side string height at 12th fret: 2.5/32”
  • Treble-side string height at 12th fret: 2/32"

It was a while ago that I did mine, and I don’t exactly recall how much sanding I had to do, but there definitely was some. I stuck some sandpaper on a block of wood with some double sided tape, and ran the nut over that, to keep it nice and flat. Even pressure so it didn’t get angled front-back or side-side, and just stop and measure frequently.

Also, I used the old nut as a sanding block to clean up any old adhesive in the old nut space.

Awesome, that's pretty much what I'll do. Hopefully I get the measuring and sanding right. Thanks for the response.

I'll have an update in a day or two.

Back