PRS TECH's Identify my Strings

tyt921

Hi,

I have a PRS SE Cu24. I have acid hands, however, the stock strings never gave me a problem. Until I switched them out for Ernie Balls, D'addarios, etc. They oxidated and turned black/grey and felt raw in a matter of...2-3 hours.

This never happened to my PRS stocked strings as I had them on for 2-3 months and they were still pristine. This makes me wonder what PRS strings are on my PRS. I have been told PRS uses the same D'addarios EXL110 that I tried which oxidated, so I know that aint true...I have tried DR Pure Blues...better...but still oxidated in a day after 1 hour of play.

So the question is what strings do PRS Stock guitars use, and what matterial are they made from? Because from what I experience they cant be nickle...nickle even pure nickle rot in a matter of minutes in my hands. Thanks!

The strings are made by D'Addario but I think they're made to PRS specs and different from normal D'Addario strings.

Yes...that is true.

I called customer service, and basically the guy was like "uh...they are just normal strings: .9's"

I was like "I heard D'addarios made your strings."

He: "uh Yeah"

Me: "So what are they made of? Is it any different from the EXL09's that I use?"

He: "No Answer" for about 10 seconds

Me: "Are they nickel wound? Pure nickel or hybrid? Do they have a special coating on them or something?

He: "Yeah, yeah thats right. D'addario makes them"

Me: "........"

at this point I just hung up. I have told them also about my acidic hands, but he just really didnt care or was listening for that matter.

According to the package of "PRS" strings I have from Signature Club membership, which I understand are same strings guitars come with stock: Nickel Wound, Brass Ball End. There's no other indication on package as to who makes them for PRS.

If my memory serves me, PRS strings are made by D'Addario to PRS specs.
PRS strings are nickel, not just nickel wound, or nickel plated.
If you try a set of PRS's and the problem goes away, you have your answer.

If my memory serves me, PRS strings are made by D'Addario to PRS specs.
PRS strings are nickel, not just nickel wound, or nickel plated.
If you try a set of PRS's and the problem goes away, you have your answer.

I thought pure nickel strings sounded on the dull or muted side. Correct me if I'm wrong, because I wouldn't mind trying another set if one of the brands sounds strong enough, with enough brightness to produce a satisfying sound for rock and blues, clean and high gain.

Let me know if you have had good experiences with pure nickel strings.

I'm thinking I might try a set of Elixer Nanowebs - I have never tried them before. Back in the old days I used to use a lot of nickel flatwounds but they are too dull sounding for me at this point.

Back