PRS Studio-----Pickup Question

django49

I have seen this model described as having two Narrowfield pickups (plus the 57/08 bridge). Other listings show two 57/08 Narrowfields plus the 57/08 bridge.

Was there a change in the pickups? Or is this just changing the reference and taking advantage of the favorable reaction to the (regular) 57/08s?

Thanks!

I don't think there was a change, but I could be wrong. I think the narrowfields are wound with the same wire and (maybe) use the same magnet material as the 57/08s. So, they are kinda like a 57/08 is a different form factor.

I don't think there was a change, but I could be wrong. I think the narrowfields are wound with the same wire and (maybe) use the same magnet material as the 57/08s. So, they are kinda like a 57/08 is a different form factor.

This
I also believe the narrowfields are an adaptation of the 57/08 wound on narrower but deeper bobbins.

I've read that the Narrowfields are an adaptation of the 57/08's. I don't think there was a change.

Cool.....I would like to try one to see/hear what different sounds it makes.

Hearing it firsthand is the best way, but the Narrowfield "sees" a narrower band of harmonic information based on its narrower width, and therefore, sounds tighter depending on where the pickup is located under the string length. Owing to its hum bucking architecture, it is also quieter. It's an attempt to bridge the gap between single coil hum and hum bucking pickup character. I think it's one of the coolest pickup ideas to come out of the woodwork.

I'd be careful Don, I tried one and ended up buying one not long after... ;) The Swamp Ash Studio with the two Narrowfields and a humbucker in the bridge is a fantastic setup if you dig the ash superstrat tones! :D

Hearing it firsthand is the best way, but the Narrowfield "sees" a narrower band of harmonic information based on its narrower width, and therefore, sounds tighter depending on where the pickup is located under the string length. Owing to its hum bucking architecture, it is also quieter. It's an attempt to bridge the gap between single coil hum and hum bucking pickup character. I think it's one of the coolest pickup ideas to come out of the woodwork.

i AGREE. I HAVE 57/08'S IN A SINGLECUT, 59/09'S IN A MCCARTY KORINA, AND HAVE HAD 53/10'S, ( AND LOVE THEM ALL) BUT NOTHING TO ME SOUNDS AS GOOD AS THE NARROWFIELDS IN MY MCCARTY.(THE NARROWFIELDS IN MY GUITAR PARTNER'S NF3 SOUND FANTASTIC ALSO) PERSONALLY, I THINK THE NARROWFIELDS ARE THE BEST DAMN PICKUP I'VE HEARD IN 30+ YRS. OF PLAYING. THEIR VERSATILITY STILL AMAZES ME.

Last edited:
There are two versions of the 57/08 pickups. A conventional humbucker version and a Narrowfield version. The Studio models with one 57/08 pickup actually have three 57/08 pickups... one regular and two narrowfield. That is what I have in mine. All three pickups are 57/08's.

PRS_SwampAshStudio_1698.jpg

There are two versions of the 57/08 pickups. A conventional humbucker version and a Narrowfield version. The Studio models with one 57/08 pickup actually have three 57/08 pickups... one regular and two narrowfield. That is what I have in mine. All three pickups are 57/08's.

Quoted to show off a freakin' amazing looking guitar yet again. I have to find me one of those. What is the neck carve?

a 57/08 humbucker and a narrowfield do NOT sound the same.

Indeed they don't! The 57/08 is a freakin' great sounding traditional humbucker, of course. A Narrowfield is like a really brawny strat pickup. Back your volume knob down to 7 or 8 and it's really close to the Fender pickup. Not exactly the same, but close.

Quoted to show off a freakin' amazing looking guitar yet again. I have to find me one of those. What is the neck carve?

I believe the neck carve is a Pattern Regular because its fatter than the Pattern Thin that I have on my CU24.

PRS_SwampAshStudio1696.jpg

Yes, I know they don't sound the same but they are still classified as 57/08 Narrowfields. What I believe this means is that all three pickups share the same magnets, the same wire and wire thickness, the same coating around the wire, the same number of windings and so on. But because the poles are spaced closer together, they are going to have that distinctive narrowfield sound. And also yes, the narrowfields have a much taller/deeper thickness in order to make room for the poles to be moved closer together.

Production stopped either in '12 or '13. There are some new ones still left out there if you look around. I'm still thinking I may want another, so I'm looking for a very specific one. We'll see if one ever pops up.

Last edited:
Thanks. I believe MF has a couple right now. Like $2700 or so. Still learning about this model, and how it compares to the Custom 22/24, P22, etc. Looking closer at the S2 models, although I think I want something a little more visually interesting. Funny I didn't before want that, but I guess you spend enough time here and it gets to you. We'll see though.

I have a Custom 24 that I bought new in 1995. The Studio is, IMHO, a more versatile guitar. Both have 5-way switches, but the Studio's are more usable to me. With my old Custom, positions 2 and 4 (essentially Tele and Strat) took such a huge volume drop that I needed a boost pedal to use them. The Studio's 5 positions are much closer to a Strat's (in my experience) and much more balanced.

Where the Studio lacks compared to my Custom is in the hard rock/heavy metal vein. The 57/08 just doesn't do high gain all that well in my experience. But for everything up to about AC/DC, that Studio is my go-to.

Back