PRS Speaker Cabs (4x12)

Bogner

Redwood Original - Pure Blood
Does PRS Make Their Own Cabinets Or Do They Farm Them Out Like Many Other Companies Do? I Am Only Interested In 4X12's.

Last edited:
Does PRS Make Their Own Cabinets Or Do They Farm Them Out Like Many Other Companies Do?
I think they used to make them, don't know if they still do or have moved cab production overseas. The two I have are finger jointed, properly made cabs that sound great; one's the Grissom, of pine with two ports in back; the other is a birch closed back cab. Both were CAD products; the Grissom is still in the lineup.

I suppose they could've farmed out CAD cab production here, too, though I don't know why they would need to.

It‘s a shame the CAD amp division had such a (comparatively) short run; proof that having a great product alone won’t ensure market success, at least in the quantity of sales PRS wanted. The amps are among the best made and most musical I’ve seen. The combination of narrowing the line to fewer models made in east Asia seems a universal pattern now.

I‘d still like to have a DG30, and it’ll remain on the “wanted” list for me. I’m fortunate to have two HXDA 50s and a 2x12 cab made in Maryland during the days of myth and legend.

It‘s a shame the CAD amp division had such a (comparatively) short run; proof that having a great product alone won’t ensure market success, at least in the quantity of sales PRS wanted. The amps are among the best made and most musical I’ve seen. The combination of narrowing the line to fewer models made in east Asia seems a universal pattern now.

I‘d still like to have a DG30, and it’ll remain on the “wanted” list for me. I’m fortunate to have two HXDA 50s and a 2x12 cab made in Maryland during the days of myth and legend.
Speaker cabs are just boxes covered in vinyl or Tolex or whatever.

They're so simple to mass produce.

Makes sense financially to make them overseas where the lumber and skilled but inexpensive labor is, and then distribute them to the world from there.

Not that I approve of much that the Chinese government does, but China manufactures more plywood than any other country.

If you want cheap but well built cabinets (and who doesn't?) South Korea, Indonesia, Vietnam or China seem like the places to have them made.

So It Is Safe To Assume That The PRS 4x12 Cabinets ARE NOT MADE IN THE USA?

So It Is Safe To Assume That The PRS 4x12 Cabinets ARE NOT MADE IN THE USA?

I actually think they probably are, just maybe not made by PRS. The cheaper cabs (that match the cheaper amps) are made in Indonesia, and say so, but the HDRX 2x12 and 4x12 have a final assembly label similar to the older CAD cabs, no mention of overseas build. I think they would have to say so if they were made out of country.

I suspect PRS now has an outside company make the cabs, then put in speakers/final assembly at PRS, for the DG 2x12 and HDRX 2x12 and 4x12.

I have the HDRX 2x12, and it’s a good cab - unfortunately not quite as good as the CAD ones, but good enough I suppose. Mine has a little weird spot in the grill cloth, and the leather handle has a couple cracks, but it’s good quality woodworking as far as I can tell. The import ones are too, they’re just heavy, my MT 1x12 is a handful, I think they use really dense ply, vs some lighter ply on the 2x12. The HDRX 2x12 is the same dimensions as my older CAD 2x12, which is cool.

If you want cheap but well built cabinets (and who doesn't?) South Korea, Indonesia, Vietnam or China seem like the places to have them made.
I 'doesn't'.

For me the US is the place to have them made. The difference in cost isn't worth the cost to society!

PRS has a made-in-wherever-else 1x12 speaker cabinet for $400.

Mesa offers one made in the US for the Fillmore for $469.

$69 savings doesn't seem like much of a bargain when you consider that it undercuts and weakens US manufacturing, costs some smaller US companies their existence, and puts people out of work. There are additional costs to society when companies go under - tax base is lost, creditors go unpaid, manufacturing real estate sits empty, people have to often take lower-paying jobs, there's greater dependence on the social safety net.

Who pays for all that? You and I. We share the societal cost of every business failure, and every unemployed person, in one way or another.

This is not what I would want for our country. Not for $69. That's selling out WAY too cheap, in my opinion.

If you can buy a load of guitars and pickups, pedals and spare amps, certainly the $69 additional cost doesn't break your bank.

Certainly there's international trade that's desirable and necessary. We don't make everything here, we don't have every natural resource here, and we have a consumer society that wants lots of STUFF. But when there are perfectly viable alternatives to foreign goods at not much more cost...I'm sorry. Nope.

Count me out.

Last edited:
The Cad cabs were wonderful , My DG30 2x12 is by far my fave , I prefer it to the closed back paisley and 4x12 marshall I have.
Being a US based craftsman I prefer to pay the premium to keep the jobs here.

I 'doesn't'.

For me the US is the place to have them made. The difference in cost isn't worth the cost to society!

PRS has a made-in-wherever-else 1x12 speaker cabinet for $400.

Mesa offers one made in the US for the Fillmore for $469.

$69 savings doesn't seem like much of a bargain when you consider that it undercuts and weakens US manufacturing, costs some smaller US companies their existence, and puts people out of work. There are additional costs to society when companies go under - tax base is lost, creditors go unpaid, manufacturing real estate sits empty, people have to often take lower-paying jobs, there's greater dependence on the social safety net.

Who pays for all that? You and I. We share the societal cost of every business failure, and every unemployed person, in one way or another.

This is not what I would want for our country. Not for $69. That's selling out WAY too cheap, in my opinion.

If you can buy a load of guitars and pickups, pedals and spare amps, certainly the $69 additional cost doesn't break your bank.

Certainly there's international trade that's desirable and necessary. We don't make everything here, we don't have every natural resource here, and we have a consumer society that wants lots of STUFF. But when there are perfectly viable alternatives to foreign goods at not much more cost...I'm sorry. Nope.
I'm always disheartened when I see Made In China on something nice.

I rarely shop at WalMart. But I did buy my car tires there.

I wonder if Paul sells more import SE's or more USA made CORE guitars?

I'm always disheartened when I see Made In China on something nice.

I rarely shop at WalMart. But I did buy my car tires there.

I wonder if Paul sells more import SE's or more USA made CORE guitars?
Sadly, I'll bet it's more imports by far, though they don't release sales figures.

It's hard to even buy shoes or clothing made in the US now. We once had a robust manufacturing base. Very disheartening indeed.

I Prefer USA Stuff First And Foremost BUT If I Come Across A High End Product Not Made In The USA I Am Not Afraid To Purchase. Where I Have A Problem Is When US Companies Produce A Product That Is Similar Or More Expensive That A High End European Product Of The Same Or Better Quality And Stick You On Price Because "The Market Bares It." All Things Considered, An Identical Product Made In Germany That Is Imported To The USA And Sold Here In The USA Should Be More Expensive Than A USA Product Made Here And Sold Here. B.A.D. - I Am Looking At You...

The back ports on the DG cab are what make it so great , they really let it breathe .. decades ago before I was a Luthier , I started out making custom speaker cabs I prefer ported cabs any day

The back ports on the DG cab are what make it so great , they really let it breathe .. decades ago before I was a Luthier , I started out making custom speaker cabs I prefer ported cabs any day
I had ported cabs for my Two=Rocks. They were great, too.

Made in China I got two mark Tromontti 112 cabs with the MT 15 amp,
I Am Only Interested In 4x12 Cabinets. I Should Have Stated That In The Initial Post. Thank You For The Feedback. :)

Back