PRS single-cuts (SC58, in particular)

guitarman001

SC245, SC58... (any similar ones?)... what are the differences?

I have the chance to get an SC58 (which I believe are no longer built ??) but I'm not sure - I was wanting to offload a guitar (not a PRS!) and either keep the money or (shock) try an LP. How does the SC58 compare to the LP (I know this is a PRS forum so please keep it biased - and you know I love my PRS)?

Generally I do like to try guitars these days before I buy as I've been surprised when I've tried something I've drooled over only to find myself disappointed. I wont have the chance to try this first. I usually prefer satin necks and uncovered pups but this is gloss neck and covered 57/08s - I also believe no coil tap on SC58s. Seller is a good guy - would be trade + cash for it - he's probably reading this right now lol :) Just wanted to hear what you guys think of the SC58 (how it compares to LP and the stripped 58 and SC245 etc) and if you've got pics / clips of yours?

Last edited:
My SC-58 is my main guitar. It's a 2011 and sounds close to a Les Paul, maybe a little more open sounding. I did replace the 57/08 pickups last year with a set of Duncan Whole Lotta Humbuckers and I think it really brought out the best in the guitar. It does not have coil taps, which is fine with me.

The current SC-245 is almost the same guitar.

SC's is what PRS does best.
Dont't get me wrong - i love the regular bodyshape but when i comes to single cuts i cant think of any other manufacturer that can make that shape comfortable.
I love my Tremonti (based on the sc250)

And i really miss my sc245

The SC58 agrees with me more that any Lester I have owned the 10" radius and slightly narrower neck fit me better, I also think the upper fret access is a bit better.
Tone wise most would be hard pressed to tell it was not a LP, weight wise mine is pretty beefy but well balanced

Love, love, love single cut PRS guitars. Makes me play differently (in my head, anyway). More hard rock posturing, compared to my Fender collection, and my lone SG.

Love my SC58, it is not a Les Paul, does not feel like one or sound like one, but it is an amazing instrument. You will love it.

SC245, SC58... (any similar ones?)... what are the differences?

SC58, SC245, and Stripped 58 are essentially the same guitar with trim variations. IMHO, best of the SC historical production line, and I've had them all.

Just wanted to hear what you guys think of the SC58 (how it compares to LP and the stripped 58 and SC245 etc) and if you've got pics / clips of yours?

Pics:

McCarty Singlecut, PS built, my current #1:

My first SC, from 2000:

SC58 Artist Package, ebony fretboard, 53/10 pickups:

I've had others, but can't find the pics right now.

Clips:

McCarty Singlecut, bridge pickup, PRS HXDA amp:

https://soundcloud.com/lschefman/blues-ii-hotg

McCarty Singlecut, neck pickup, PRS DG30 amp:

https://soundcloud.com/lschefman/hammer-dg-mstr-2

Many of SCs owners (current 2-piece-bridge) say that thing "it doesn't sound like a LP, it's more focused, open sounding" and that description automatically reminds me to my McCarty.
Then I wonder, If PRS SCs are closer sounding to a MC than to a LP... What's the point of the SCs having a MC?

Then I wonder, If PRS SCs are closer sounding to a MC than to a LP... What's the point of the SCs having a MC?

They're quite different sounding; here I'm talking about the regular SCs and 245, 58s, etc. The SCs have more oomph than a McCarty (I have had several versions of each and the difference is quite clear).

The McCarty Singlecut is a different beast from the other SCs by virtue of its lower-wind pickups, thicker back, nitro finish, bone nut, Madagascar rosewood fretboard, mammoth ivory inlays, and Private Stock build. It sounds a bit more vintage. I've posted sound examples above. My McCarty can't do that thing the McSC does.

In fact, I still have - and plan to keep - both models on hand. Definitely worthwhile.

Man, that McCarty SC sounds heaven!
I agree that has more... fullness than a McCarty, but after listening to these clips, I affirm that sounds closer to my McCarty than to a Lp (or at least to mine). It has that clarity + that inner-twangy-strato-flavour that my PRS has. Or maybe my McCarty sounds close to a LP and thats the reason I compare them both again and again? It could be.

In any case, yours sounds absolutely fantastic!

Last edited:
My SC 58 sounds pretty close to my Les Pauls. Medium crunch to high gain, it'll be very close. Cleaner, and it's more "bell like" for lack of a better term. Just clearer in the PRS sort of way...Not saying better, not saying worse. Just more PRS like. If you like the way a typical PRS plays, it's hands down the better choice for you though.

Man, that McCarty SC sounds heaven!
I agree that has more... fullness than a McCarty, but after listening to these clips, I affirm that sounds closer to my McCarty than to a Lp (or at least to mine). It has that clarity + that inner-twangy-strato-flavour that my PRS has. Or maybe my McCarty sounds close to a LP and thats the reason I compare them both again and again? It could be.

In any case, yours sounds absolutely fantastic!

Thanks! It's definitely in the PRS tone family, no doubt. There's just something a little heftier with the McSC.

I love my McCarty, too, and plan to post some clips of it shortly.

Back