PRS Silver Sky SE crooked knobs is it normal?

poliveira

Hello everyone!
I just got a Silver Sky SE for my birthday, I'm loving it so far, the sound is just a massive improvement from my mim strat.
But, I did notice that all the 3 knobs wobble a bit, the volume being the worst offender. Since I've never had a PRS before I'm not sure if this is a quirky thing for PRS or just an hardware issue.
What do you think?
VIDEO: https://streamable.com/8b9b30

Thanks! :)

The tones don't look too bad, but the volume is easily visible. I'd pop the volume knob off and see if the pot is straight. If it is, you've got a tilted knob (TWSS). If the pot is crooked, it's hopefully an easy fix - just a reset of the pot. If the shaft is bent, you may want a new pot (depends on how much it bugs you).

The tones don't look too bad, but the volume is easily visible. I'd pop the volume knob off and see if the pot is straight. If it is, you've got a tilted knob (TWSS). If the pot is crooked, it's hopefully an easy fix - just a reset of the pot. If the shaft is bent, you may want a new pot (depends on how much it bugs you).
Thanks! I'll try to pop off the volume knob, I tried but I couldn't take if off, I was too afraid to break it with excessive force.

Thanks! I'll try to pop off the volume knob, I tried but I couldn't take if off, I was too afraid to break it with excessive force.

There's always the shoestring trick. My concern would be w/the pickguard, but that's mainly because I'm not sure I've ever pulled the knobs off a guitar w/a pickguard like that.

I have to be honest... I had to fight my inner demons to be able to pop that knob off. I'm zen now.
But, during that great adventure I did notice that the pin was bent, I tried to fix it but as soon as I place the knob and push it in, it would go back to being crooked. I'm not sure what to do now, it's a bit of an eye sore, but it doesn't affect the guitar as far as I know.

One other thing that I noticed while playing is that the guitar produces a bit of a hum until I touch any string with my finger, then it goes pretty much silent. I don't remember having this on my strat before, is that normal? :oops:

Back