PRS Silent Cable Pops When pulled out

PaddyD

Brand new PRS silent cable pops when pulled out of guitar. What is going on?

Silent cables are a thing?

It’s the jack plugs actually. They have a little collar that engages as the plug is inserted into the socket. As you remove it, the collar disengages the signal “voila” silent removal.

I use one with a Neutrik silent-disconnect end, and it’s worked great. I’m one of those idiots that just lets it pop and screech otherwise, so everyone appreciates it. I haven’t tried the PRS version, so I'm not sure whose connector they’re using.

it’s a brand new cable. So when I heard it pop I was like what the heck. They use Neutrik.

That should be pretty reliable.

If it’s faulty, I would return it for a replacement/refund if you can.

I did but I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience. I don’t want to use a PRS cable if it’s not a good product.

I believe PRS cables are Van Damme wire, made in the UK. A forum member who writes national advertising work, swears by PRS cables.

I have van damme cables also, with neutrik connectors and they are top class gear.

Maybe try moving the collar in and out a few times with your finger nail to see if there’s anything fouling it’s movement.

I did that and it slides in and out. I think they didn’t wire it correctly.

It may be a quality control issue, they happen. Consider though that silent plugs work better on some guitars than others due to the jack type and placement.

For example, I have an EBMM Valentine with active silent circuit and TRS jack that gets small pop. An all passive CU24 is dead silent with the same cable.

I also noticed a small change depending on the design of the silent plug. The Neutrik/Amphenol type plugs are a different design than the G&H style and behave a little differently depending on the guitar used.

Back