PRS SE standard tremolo/tuning problem..

Been playing PRS for 25 years, and never had to do that even once! From my first one in 1991, to my 2016 20th PS Anni Ltd., I have had a lot of Trem-equipped PRSes.

What the heck are you doing with that bar, son???
I bend up on top of a string bend, and bend up and down while trilling. Gotta work that thang!

Did you put it away in the case with the trem arm still in it?

If so then you could have knocked trem out of the fulcrum screw pivot area

Yes, I have put it in the gigbag (I don't have a case for it) with the trem arm still in it, likie I've always done with all my other trem-equipped guitars, and I'm not sure what you mean..?

Hello guys, and thanks for your suggestions! I lubed the nut just for elimination, but as I expected that didn't make any difference. I read the thread charliefrench referred to, (and I also see that the thread eventually was stopped by a moderator..), and it was interesting. It could be that there's something wrong with the angle/edge of the strings coming up from the body cavity over the bridge saddles (or whatever it was..), like one commenter said in that thread, but that seems not to be an easy fix..
So maybe I'll just follow screamingdaisy and dogrocketp's advice first, and see if the trem just needs a break-in period to settle down..

It was working great up to and including your gig so maybe something moved while in transit on the way back, with the arm attached, in the gig bag. I almost always remove the arm and place it in the side pocket when I am done for a while. Feel safer this way. Don't give up on it. If after your settling in time period there is no improvement you can always have it looked at by someone who knows, if such a person is local to you. As previously said, I have the same model. Bought mine slightly used too, at a bargain price. Really happy with it. Would still be just as happy had I paid full retail price new. Lot of guitar for relatively little money.

I am still mindful that you said it feels like there are two zero points when moving the arm up and down. And because of this I do not feel hopeful that it will repair itself in time. If it does then my next motorcar will be a PRS. Whatever the problem is it won't be much anyway.

Last edited:
It was working great up to and including your gig so maybe something moved while in transit on the way back, with the arm attached, in the gig bag. I almost always remove the arm and place it in the side pocket when I am done for a while. Feel safer this way. Don't give up on it. If after your settling in time period there is no improvement you can always have it looked at by someone who knows, if such a person is local to you. As previously said, I have the same model. Bought mine slightly used too, at a bargain price. Really happy with it. Would still be just as happy had I paid full retail price new. Lot of guitar for relatively little money.

I am still mindful that you said it feels like there are two zero points when moving the arm up and down. And because of this I do not feel hopeful that it will repair itself in time. If it does then my next motorcar will be a PRS. Whatever the problem is it won't be much anyway.

Thanks, I won't give up on it :) Actually I guess it won't be that much of a problem "in real life"; on gigs I normally don't use the trem very much, except for the odd subtle vibrato effect, and it keeps the tuning fine for those purposes. If I need to do "dive bombs" or similar Vai/Van Halen-type effects, I'd probably bring one of my "Floyd"-equipped guitars anyway.. But when trying out a new guitar with a tremolo, whether it's a Floyd-, vintage strat-, Bigsby- or whatever- type, I'll always test it quite hard to see how well it keeps up/keeps in tune, and since I've heard good things about PRS' tremolo, I figured it could handle quite a lot, but maybe I was too optimistic.. It's still better in this department than many/most of my other strats, though..

Last edited:
I also ALWAYS remove the trem arm while transporting all my PRSi, including core instruments. This isn`t like your other guitars, so it can`t be treated the same way. I had an SE Standard for a New York minute. I would recommend that you have a luthier set it up and change the nut. Betcha that takes care of the problem.

If you look at the fulcrum screws just under the heads there is a groove that the trem is supposed to pivot in. It is possible that trem arm could of taken a hit while in transport and knocked trem out of that groove.

Doesn't make sense that it worked well one minute and not well the next.

If you look at the fulcrum screws just under the heads there is a groove that the trem is supposed to pivot in. It is possible that trem arm could of taken a hit while in transport and knocked trem out of that groove.

Doesn't make sense that it worked well one minute and not well the next.

It seems fine as far as I can see (but it's actually not easy to see anything with my somewhat reduced sight..) :)

Update; I actually traded it in for a Gretsch (long story).. But I kind of regret it, so now I've started looking at other used PRS-es..

Update: I just bought a new SE Custom 24, and so far I've had no problems with the tremolo/tuning, it works flawlessly :)

Back