PRS SE standard tremolo/tuning problem..

Ketil

Hello, two weeks ago I bought a very slightly used, virtually new PRS SE standard 24 (my first PRS, so I'm also a PRS forum newbie..), and the first couple of days I had it, I couldn't put it down. It played beautifully, and I was also very impressed with the tremolo, it seemed I could do even "Floyd Rose"-type tricks with it, and it still stayed (almost) perfectly in tune. I also used it for a gig last weekend, but after that, I hadn't played it for a week. When I picked it up again and played it now, the trem seemed to have changed drastically, it doesn't stay in tune anymore, and it also doesn't seem as smooth as it was only a week ago, it seems a bit stiffer in a way. I tried to unscrew the trem arm and put it back, securing it was sitting tight, but that didn't make any difference. If I push down on the tremolo, it goes flat, if I afterwards pull up on it, it goes sharp. Or it seems that it has two different "zero positions", one when I go down, and another one if I go up, and there's like a 1/4 note between the two.. What has happened to my trem, it wasn't like this only a week ago..?

Hi and welcome to the forum. Have you changed string gauge? It sounds to me the problem could be that the strings are sticking in the nut slots. Maybe you can use some graphite/pencil lead or nut sauce to lubricate this area. I have used olive oil for years, applied with a tooth pick. Hope this helps.

Thank you :) No, I haven't changed strings, I haven't done anything with it since playing it at the mentioned gig a week ago. I will try to lube the nut when I can, but to me, it seems the problem is in the trem itself; it actually feels different (less smooth, stiffer?) than before, very strange..

Are you certain that the previous owner didn't try to adjust something and do it incorrectly?

Even though the guitar is no longer under warranty, since you're not the original owner, Customer Service might be able to help you get to the bottom of what's wrong.

I have reread your post but this time more thoughtfully. You mention that it seems like there are two zero positions, one for down and another for pulling up. Do not be alarmed, and please understand that I am not an expert, but this could indicate some misalignment with the trem plate and the six knife - edged screws. If so a set up is required. Not a big deal usually but the job needs to be done correctly. These trems a quite different to Fenders for example. There was a really good discussion on how to do this some time ago but I cannot find it. It helped me one time.

Hope someone more knowledgeable than I am comes along and is more able to help you. I have set mine up before but I am reluctant to explain the process for fear of making errors and either yourself or somebody reading this some time in the future might damage their guitar. But lubing the nut will not do any harm anyway.

Thanks guys,but the guy I bought it from claims he bought it new, played it for about an hour and decided to sell this since he already had another SE that he liked slightly better. Plus, like I said, everything seemed ok the first days after I got it..

Maybe your enthusiasm allowed you wang the trem beyond its limits and something moved. I have the same model as you and the trem is really great ☺

There is a forum here that deals specifically with technical problems. It is called the PTC - PRS Tech Center. You will find it scrolling down the parent directory. There is a recent thread discussing a problem similar to your own.

There is a forum here that deals specifically with technical problems. It is called the PTC - PRS Tech Center. You will find it scrolling down the parent directory. There is a recent thread discussing a problem similar to your own.

Oh, ok, I actually didn't notice the PTC forum, I probably should have posted this there in the first place then maybe..? Which thread are you referring to then?

Last edited:
It is called "S2 Standard 24 Trem Question".Good luck!

Ok, I saw that, but it talks about nut sauce, widening the nut slots etc. The problem with mine is most definitely not the nut, but the trem itself (tried with a capo now, same problem..)

Currently on page four there is a thread called "PRS Custom 24 2016 won't stay in tune." It discusses trem setup and includes a link to a video demonstrating the process.

Check the knife edge. The bottom of the tremolo plate should sit evenly in the six set screws. If one or two are off a bit or moved, it will cause the tremolo to not return to to center, causing tuning issues.

Ok, thanks for the suggestions, I'll be away for the rest of the week, but I'll check it out when I come home. But it still surprises me that this apparently has happened by itself while the guitar was not being used..

When I first got my S2 it would do something similar. So far as I'm tracking it's because it's binding in the nut. Same deal where the first day I treated it like a Floyd just to see what it could do, then the next day I got irritated because every time I looked at it wrong it went out of tune.

I did the various tricks with regards to lubing the nut and saddles and neither did much (although I'm sure they did help some), but after about a week of playing with it the tuning problems went away. As best I can figure out there's a break in period on the trem/nut and that the more you use it the better it works.

YMMV.

I`ve noticed the break-in period on every trem PRS. I have. Every timeI pick the guitar up, I yank the bar up and down. After several weeks of daily playing, the tuning issue goes away. I believe it`s the screws that the trem pivots on. I would also suggest you have the trem adjusted by someone with major knowledge of PRS. I know what the guy said, but I would bet he did do something. If you`re near DC, PM me and I`d be happy to take a look at it.

Last edited:
I`ve noticed the break-in period on every trem PRS. I have. Every timeI pick the guitar up, I yank the bar up and down. After several weeks of daily playing, the tuning issue goes away. I believe it`s the screws that the trem pivots on. I would also suggest you have the trem adjusted by someone with major knowledge of PRS. I know what the guy said, but I would bet he did do something. If you`re near DC, PM me and I`d be happy to take a look at it.

Been playing PRS for 25 years, and never had to do that even once! From my first one in 1991, to my 2016 20th PS Anni Ltd., I have had a lot of Trem-equipped PRSes.

What the heck are you doing with that bar, son???

Did you put it away in the case with the trem arm still in it?

If so then you could have knocked trem out of the fulcrum screw pivot area

Back