PRS SE Paul Allender pickups

illinest

Aloha.
This forum appears to have some other Allender owners and more experience with SE guitars in general, so I thought maybe this would be a good place to ask a few questions.

First - my axe:
http://imgur.com/a/phDAx

I was not expecting to buy this guitar. I had been zeroing in on an SE Cu24 and thinking that maybe I'd be able to purchase one in 2015. I was checking prices on Reverb and I found this one for auction by a local vendor. The high bid was about 80 bucks, and it stayed at 80 bucks for a week. With 5 minutes left in the auction I said "screw it" and I put in my own bid. I ended up winning the auction for 138$. Brand new! Didn't even have to have it shipped.

So I'm super happy about the fact that I won that auction and I love the guitar. It is nearly perfect as far as I can tell. I am not an experienced player (less than 18 months) but I can tell that it is better than my Epiphone, and seems to be on par with the MiA Strat that I was borrowing for the first few months.

Just one problem - I think I'm not so fond of the active pickups.
I don't play anything heavier than Metallica, and I do play quite a bit of clean stuff. I have been working on my 16th note funk rhythms a lot and trying to work on my first simple guitar solos - Smells Like Teen Spirit, RHCP - stuff like that.
I also think it's giving me a problem with my amp. I've got a micro-cube. The guitar seems to be capable of overdriving the heck out of my amp. It's hard for me to get the modeled distortion sounds to work right.

I have a pickup problem, but I'm not sure what to do. I've thought about trying to reduce the output of the pickups, but I don't know if there's a best way to approach that. Bigger pot? Put a resistor in series with the output? Etc...
I've also thought about purchasing some passives, but I'm not sure what I like and I have some anxiety about doing that. I have been trying to find some sounds that I like. I did find a demo of the recent MiA HSS Strats that sounded really good to me, and I followed that lead toward the Fender Custom Shop fat 50s. I loved the fat 50 pickup in the mid position of a strat, but I think that you can see my problem. I like single coil pickups, but I own an HH guitar.
I briefly looked into the p90, but I was reading that they're like a high output version of the fender single coils, and I know that the high output single coils don't do much for me. My borrowed strat had texas specials, which I didn't care for. I've also felt let down by a G&L that supposedly had "hot" single coil pickups, so I'm pretty sure that hot single coils are not my bag.

That's all I know. Not a lot as you can see.
I was thinking that maybe there's some humbuckers that I can look into that might give me an interesting sound and I was planning to start watching PAF videos. Not because of any particular interest, but just because I don't have any idea where else to start. So I'm asking around here first because I thought that maybe there's a chance that someone else felt the same as me? If so - what did you do to change the tone of your PRS?

Thanks for reading my feature-length introduction.

Look for a vintage output, underwind P90 type of pups. I know that Lolar can do that on special orders

Silly question: Is it just the output level you don't like about the EMGs, or the tone as well? If it's just the output level, try turning the guitar volume down to 6 or 7 and leaving it there...

My brother has recently bought one of these, he finds that if you coil tap the pick ups and make a few adjustments on the amp its perfect for playing "softer" type of music. I was playing some oasis on it when he first bought it with the pick ups coil tapped and it sounded brilliant. He has a Marshall TSL60 head and marshall cab so that could be that there is more scope for those sort of tones on his amp, but its definitley worth pulling up the coil tap knob and seeing if that helps you.

Thanks.

I have been working on this problem for a few days. I did eventually figure out that the output problem can be reduced by splitting the coils. I think that there's another problem - I strongly suspect that the amplifier may have some deteriorating components in the pre-amp.

I think that my biggest concern has been addressed. I can use the amp as long as I remember to split the coils.

I do not particularly enjoy the tone of the EMGs but i can live with it. I know that my fingers can solve most of the tone problems and i can solve most of the rest by simply upgrading to a better amp.

Back