PRS SE Models - Do They Have the Same “Essence” As Core Models?

I'm reading some passionate replies about the legal and visual arguments. That's all kind of like arguing over whether or not something is red. A lot of opinions and subjectiveness.

Perhaps a better approach might be, how do you define a PRS product? If you're a person who thinks it's the name on the sticker, then that's that--bring on the PRS headphones and underwear. If it's the shape, then does the name on the sticker matter? If it's just legalities, I suppose that's simple enough.

I seem to recall a lot of flak that Gibson got for trying to become a lifestyle brand. Is it different for PRS?

I think, for me, it's about being made in Maryland to the quality and standards I've come to expect from PRS. For the most part, things that fit that description are the PRS products I'm interested in. Maybe that'll include underwear and headphones at some point?

iPhones are made primarily in China, but there is trend to move the manufacturing to India / Vietnam. Will they stop being iPhones (or magic iPhones) once they move to some other country? Even now, the 2 main assembly companies Apple uses (Foxconn and Pegatron) have factories in different countries. They all follow the specs and designs by Apple...are we able to tell the difference? Do they feel different? I'm not an iPhone user, but I have never seen any online discussion regarding this issue, so i think the answer might be "no".

IMHO the discussion here is comparing bananas to oranges. Like comparing an iPhone SE to an iPhone Pro Max...of course they feel different because they are different products. Would a SE built in Maryland using the same specs and processes they use in Cor Tek feel different? I'm not so sure. Could an SE built in Maryland using the same specs and processes they use in Cor Tek retain the same price tag? I'm not so sure as well.

And that magic feeling when you play a guitar and perfectly fits you can be found, for sure, in any guitar...but chances are you will find it more easily in a 4.000$ axe than in a 800$ one.

I'd expect an SE to cost a LOT more if it was built in Maryland in the exact same way, same materials etc and would likely sound/feel exactly thae same - whether you'd 'feel' different just because its made in US instead. The S2 is perhaps the closest to a US SE, yet that has the same Pups etc as an SE to keep the costs down. It's only when you get to 'Bolt-On' range that you get 'Made in US' Pups as standard.

Of course an SE is NOT a Core. Its built differently for a start to keep those costs down. It doesn't have the same thickness Maple Cap, it has Scarf joint necks and multi piece bodies, different finish etc but that doesn't stop it being a 'PRS'. You can go by a made in China Ibanez RG, a Made in Korea RG or a Made in Japan RG but they are ALL Ibanez Guitars - regardless of whether you 'personally' can only bond with Japanese built guitars.

I don't care what you play, what you have experienced, what you prefer, but you are WRONG to think an SE is NOT a PRS because they are built exclusively for PRS to sell as PRS Guitars! Cores are Superb quality instruments built without 'compromise'. As you move down to 'Bolt-On', you may get some 'import' parts, but you'll certainly get a scarfed neck as it saves time/money to sell 'cheaper'. The S2 range too has 'compromises' to sell it even cheaper but you'll end up with more 'Import' parts - still PRS designed parts, just not made in the US.

You came in here saying that SE's are NOT PRS guitars when they ARE. Just because they don't feel like a Core, a guitar built without any Compromise to sell at a 'low' price point, doesn't make them 'NOT' PRS guitars. If you can't 'bond' with a cheaper version, that is something only you need to explore - what it is about other Instruments that really help you 'bond' with them. It maybe that the Scarf neck makes a difference to YOU, but that doesn't mean its an issue for everyone and stops them from bonding with an Instrument. Another may only bond with 'Nitro' finishes, or feel that Satin finishes are more 'magical' to them and find any Poly finish prevents them from bonding because they don't get the same 'feel'.

SE allows people to get a Custom 24, DGT, 594, Holcomb, Silver Sky etc guitars at a 'fraction' of the cost.

What makes a Guitar more magical to you? You have to work that out because that is 'personal' to you. I can walk into a Shop with a 100 Gibson R9's and go through 'every' one to try and find one that resonates 'more' with me despite them ALL having the exact same Specs on Paper. The one I think is the worst may well be anothers 'magic' guitar and that's in the 'high-end' tier too. Point is, what makes one more Magical to 'ME' is very personal to me. Another could turn around and say their Epiphone sounds, feels and/or plays better - because to them, it may well be the case. It doesn't mean that I should 'bond' with an Epiphone because I much prefer the R9.

The lower the asking price, the more they have compromised to hit that price point - but that doesn't stop them being 'PRS' guitars - they are still PRS, just not 'Core' guitars built without Compromise to hit lower price points to make them more accessibleto a much wider range of musicians. Even a Bolt-on Cu24 isn't quite the same as a Core Cu24 with its maple Scarfed bolt-on neck and import Bridge and a S2 too will have more 'compromises' - Import Pups so the 'only' thing left to 'compromise' is the labour/overhead costs to sell at 'lower' than S2 prices.

There are so many musicians that have been asking PRS when they will do an SE Silver Sky or SE 594 or SE DGT etc because they cannot afford (or justify spending) that much on a Guitar when all they really want is a Fantastic Musical Instrument that they can rely on, sounds Great (especially in a band mix), feels comfortable to play and does the Job they want. Its still upto PRS and ONLY PRS can decide if they want to release 'SE' versions. Just watch the Series about the DGT SE and then try and tell me that the SE is a 'Cortek', not a guitar that Dave Grissom and PRS collaborated on to ensure its as close to a Core as they can get at that price point and until they got it there, would not put their name (PRS & DG) to it.

Whether 'you' bond with the SE DGT vs a Core is irrelevant, they are at very different ends of the PRS range - but they are PRS guitars regardless. The 'issues' are yours and part of that musical journey to understand what it is that you 'prefer' in an instrument that makes a difference to you. Some may not even hear/feel enough of a difference to care but a 'Core' is a 'high-end' instrument, built without Compromise to be the 'best' production guitar they can make. The rest are all varying degrees of 'Compromises' to sell at 'lower' costs - like Scarf necks to reduce waste and time, using import parts and/or Labour are other examples - but they are ALL PRS guitars which is what you Originally came here to argue about.

They are NOT cores, not trying to 'replace' cores etc, they are built to be more Affordable versions. To get as 'close' as they can for a LOT less cost - and to use your own words, they get '80%' there for less than 25% of the cost, or in other words, that 'extra' 20% is where the extra 75%+ cost is incurred. So its up to you to decide whether you would rather spend '4x' more for that 'little' extra or whether that '20%' is not worth the extra. I know I wouldn't buy a Core 12 String or 7string for that 1 time I may need a 12/7 string - an SE version would be perfect for that. I started on an Epiphone Les Paul Custom and my 'Dream' guitar was a Gibson Les Paul Custom. If my Dream had been a Cu24 at the time, there was NO way I could get a cheaper import version and yes my Epiphone also had 'Gibson' on the Headstock on the TRC and everyone knew it was a 'Cheap' import Gibson anyway because everyone knows that 'Epiphone' is Gibsons designated import range - just like SE is PRS designated import range today...
I knew going in that my opinions would upset people, and I’m sorry for that. But I’m not going to change my opinions because some people don’t agree. And since my opinion is that I don’t consider the SEs that I’ve played to be the genuine PRS guitars that I value above almost any other guitar that I’ve played out of the many hundreds of guitars that I’ve played, it is just as valid as any other opinion. I like SE’s, but I wouldn’t buy one over some other brands, whereas with Cores, I generally would.

I’m just going off of my personal experiences with the Core and SEs that I’ve played, and I do not find the SE’s to be the same thing at a lower price point. I find them to be different animals. While I think that the quality standards of SEs are within 80% of Cores, my guess is that if I were to strip both a Core and and SE down to husks, then swap all of the parts, the Core would still feel like a Core to me, and the SE would still feel like an SE.

That said, the limited S2’s that I’ve played didn’t do much at all for me, so I’d like to get my hands on more of them, as well as try some of the newer SEs to see how I feel about them. I previously had asked about the wood sourcing to see if maybe SEs, Cores, and S2s used the same wood supplies, but it seems as though the SEs use different wood types, which are sourced from different countries and regions. Maybe this is part of what I’m feeling.

To answer your question as to what makes a guitar “magical” to me, it generally comes down to feel. And by feel, I mean that when I play through a said guitar either plugged in or unplugged in the case of electric guitars, I can feel the guitar vibrating and resonating into my hands and body in a specific way that is much more so than the average guitar I pick up. Also, of course it comes down to how the neck feels, how it sounds plugged in, and how it looks. I’ve played and owned SEs that meet the criteria of neck feel, looks, and sound, but never have I played one that I could feel throughout my body like I have with 3 out of the 5 Cores that I’ve owned. To me, when I feel a guitar do this special thing, it inspires me to play more than other instruments that don’t do this special thing.

Of course, what makes a guitar “magical” will differ from person to person, but I can only say what does it for me. And again, I have found a high percentage of Cores do this for me, whereas, I’ve never experienced it with an SE.

I don’t know how you can say that my opinion is “right” or “wrong.” Yes, SEs are owned by PRS, and made by Cor-Tek. This is a fact. But my opinion is that SEs are not simply more budget friendly versions of Core guitars. They are something else.

And about the money thing… I promise that if you hunt around, you can find used Cores for nowhere near what they cost new. I prefer used guitars because not only are they usually a lot cheaper, but I can generally play them before purchasing. I realize that you can buy used guitars online as well, but I’ve never attempted to do so with something as high end as a Core PRS. I did by 2 of my SEs used online from mom and pop shops, and the other two were bought used from Craigslist. I totally understand that some people prefer new guitars, but that just isn’t me.

I'm reading some passionate replies about the legal and visual arguments. That's all kind of like arguing over whether or not something is red. A lot of opinions and subjectiveness.

Perhaps a better approach might be, how do you define a PRS product? If you're a person who thinks it's the name on the sticker, then that's that--bring on the PRS headphones and underwear. If it's the shape, then does the name on the sticker matter? If it's just legalities, I suppose that's simple enough.

I seem to recall a lot of flak that Gibson got for trying to become a lifestyle brand. Is it different for PRS?

I think, for me, it's about being made in Maryland to the quality and standards I've come to expect from PRS. For the most part, things that fit that description are the PRS products I'm interested in. Maybe that'll include underwear and headphones at some point?
Well put…I like that way of thinking about this topic.

I think that confirmation bias plays a large role in the passion people feel. It seems that most people don’t like to hear that something that they own, love, and are proud of is thought to be in some way inferior to something else by someone else. And if someone presents information, even if it’s simply a personal opinion, many people will do what they can to select information that supports their views, ignoring contrary information, or interpreting information in ways that it may not be intended.

Again, yes PRS owns the SE name, shapes, licensing, branding, etc., but the guitars are not made in the same place, with the same materials, or by the same company. These are just basic facts.

If my opinion is that because of these differences, that the SEs are not simply lower cost versions of the Core models, but something else, it doesn’t mean that I expect everyone to feel that way. What I’m really trying to figure out is exactly what makes a Core so great as compared to almost any other guitars I’ve played, and it seems that it’s basically just a some of all of its parts.

I knew going in that my opinions would upset people, and I’m sorry for that. But I’m not going to change my opinions because some people don’t agree. And since my opinion is that I don’t consider the SEs that I’ve played to be the genuine PRS guitars that I value above almost any other guitar that I’ve played out of the many hundreds of guitars that I’ve played, it is just as valid as any other opinion. I like SE’s, but I wouldn’t buy one over some other brands, whereas with Cores, I generally would.

I’m just going off of my personal experiences with the Core and SEs that I’ve played, and I do not find the SE’s to be the same thing at a lower price point. I find them to be different animals. While I think that the quality standards of SEs are within 80% of Cores, my guess is that if I were to strip both a Core and and SE down to husks, then swap all of the parts, the Core would still feel like a Core to me, and the SE would still feel like an SE.

That said, the limited S2’s that I’ve played didn’t do much at all for me, so I’d like to get my hands on more of them, as well as try some of the newer SEs to see how I feel about them. I previously had asked about the wood sourcing to see if maybe SEs, Cores, and S2s used the same wood supplies, but it seems as though the SEs use different wood types, which are sourced from different countries and regions. Maybe this is part of what I’m feeling.

To answer your question as to what makes a guitar “magical” to me, it generally comes down to feel. And by feel, I mean that when I play through a said guitar either plugged in or unplugged in the case of electric guitars, I can feel the guitar vibrating and resonating into my hands and body in a specific way that is much more so than the average guitar I pick up. Also, of course it comes down to how the neck feels, how it sounds plugged in, and how it looks. I’ve played and owned SEs that meet the criteria of neck feel, looks, and sound, but never have I played one that I could feel throughout my body like I have with 3 out of the 5 Cores that I’ve owned. To me, when I feel a guitar do this special thing, it inspires me to play more than other instruments that don’t do this special thing.

Of course, what makes a guitar “magical” will differ from person to person, but I can only say what does it for me. And again, I have found a high percentage of Cores do this for me, whereas, I’ve never experienced it with an SE.

I don’t know how you can say that my opinion is “right” or “wrong.” Yes, SEs are owned by PRS, and made by Cor-Tek. This is a fact. But my opinion is that SEs are not simply more budget friendly versions of Core guitars. They are something else.

And about the money thing… I promise that if you hunt around, you can find used Cores for nowhere near what they cost new. I prefer used guitars because not only are they usually a lot cheaper, but I can generally play them before purchasing. I realize that you can buy used guitars online as well, but I’ve never attempted to do so with something as high end as a Core PRS. I did by 2 of my SEs used online from mom and pop shops, and the other two were bought used from Craigslist. I totally understand that some people prefer new guitars, but that just isn’t me.
Again, an SE is NOT a Core and in no way was built exactly the same way with the same materials and finish as they use in the US, so of course its not going to be the SAME as a Core, it was never designed, meant or ever intended to be EXACTLY the same as a Core - that's why a Core Costs 4 or 5x the cost to get the 'equivalent' Core version in a shop today. These are meant to be the 'closest' you can get to owning a Core PRS for its Price Point. No other Guitar will feel as close to playing a core for that price - even much cheaper than buying buying a 'used' Core.

They are STILL PRS Guitars because they are designed, QC'd and officially PRS branded instruments made 'Exclusively for PRS' by Coretek to bring you these 'amazing' guitars that are as Close to a Core as you can get for a fraction of the Price.

Regardless of whether you are able to tell the difference in 'Quality' between an SE and a Core was never in doubt, I don't know how many times you need to be told that 'compromises' are made to make a Guitar for that price point - the amount of hands on time is 'very' different too but as you say, they are still great instruments, as are a LOT under $1k and MANY that are 'perfect' for the Job you may want them to do,

That doesn't stop them being PRS guitars, that just makes them their 'entry' point guitars that will still be 'great' guitars, great tools for the job of making/playing music etc, but they are NOT the same as a Core which is what an SE guitar can be without 'compromising' to sell at ~$1k and still be a great looking Guitar that looks as close to the core as it sounds, feels and or plays etc for the price point.

Its all about these companies being able to bring their Guitars to a much wider market. Few can afford a Core PRS especially in their early musical journey (unless you start late in life with a good paying job - there was a reason PRS got a reputation as being only Dr's/Lawyers/Dentists guitars). So the ONLY way PRS could make a guitar for 'Students' as Santana requested was to launch the SE range and officially licence a company to make them. That has become successful enough that now PRS has its own 'independent' factory and Staff team making PRS SE guitars with PRS CAD designs, PRS tuition, PRS QC, and PRS on the headstock - just so people can get a 'DGT' for far less money than a Core - knowing that it's the closest they'll get to the Core experience for that price, but it will still be an excellent PRS guitar for ~1k new, not $4k+ but not a quarter of the guitar either...

So you are a gear snob and can tell the difference in Quality - Great! Now you know to buy High End Quality Instruments to stand a much greater chance of having a 'lifetime' keeper instead of maybe buying Tools for the job that are still great, but not going to lose sleep if they get dinged or replaced later, but that still doesn't stop them being 'PRS' guitars which is what you keep arguing....

I'm not expecting to change your mind about what you 'feel' is different, there are numeerous 'little' differences that can add up and no, they don't 'feel' like you are picking up a $4k guitar because they weren't built or made like a $4k guitar is. They are built to sell at that price point because PRS themselves could never build guitars in the US at that quality and quantity for that 'low' a price.

Again, an SE is NOT a Core and in no way was built exactly the same way with the same materials and finish as they use in the US, so of course its not going to be the SAME as a Core, it was never designed, meant or ever intended to be EXACTLY the same as a Core - that's why a Core Costs 4 or 5x the cost to get the 'equivalent' Core version in a shop today. These are meant to be the 'closest' you can get to owning a Core PRS for its Price Point. No other Guitar will feel as close to playing a core for that price - even much cheaper than buying buying a 'used' Core.

They are STILL PRS Guitars because they are designed, QC'd and officially PRS branded instruments made 'Exclusively for PRS' by Coretek to bring you these 'amazing' guitars that are as Close to a Core as you can get for a fraction of the Price.

Regardless of whether you are able to tell the difference in 'Quality' between an SE and a Core was never in doubt, I don't know how many times you need to be told that 'compromises' are made to make a Guitar for that price point - the amount of hands on time is 'very' different too but as you say, they are still great instruments, as are a LOT under $1k and MANY that are 'perfect' for the Job you may want them to do,

That doesn't stop them being PRS guitars, that just makes them their 'entry' point guitars that will still be 'great' guitars, great tools for the job of making/playing music etc, but they are NOT the same as a Core which is what an SE guitar can be without 'compromising' to sell at ~$1k and still be a great looking Guitar that looks as close to the core as it sounds, feels and or plays etc for the price point.

Its all about these companies being able to bring their Guitars to a much wider market. Few can afford a Core PRS especially in their early musical journey (unless you start late in life with a good paying job - there was a reason PRS got a reputation as being only Dr's/Lawyers/Dentists guitars). So the ONLY way PRS could make a guitar for 'Students' as Santana requested was to launch the SE range and officially licence a company to make them. That has become successful enough that now PRS has its own 'independent' factory and Staff team making PRS SE guitars with PRS CAD designs, PRS tuition, PRS QC, and PRS on the headstock - just so people can get a 'DGT' for far less money than a Core - knowing that it's the closest they'll get to the Core experience for that price, but it will still be an excellent PRS guitar for ~1k new, not $4k+ but not a quarter of the guitar either...

So you are a gear snob and can tell the difference in Quality - Great! Now you know to buy High End Quality Instruments to stand a much greater chance of having a 'lifetime' keeper instead of maybe buying Tools for the job that are still great, but not going to lose sleep if they get dinged or replaced later, but that still doesn't stop them being 'PRS' guitars which is what you keep arguing....

I'm not expecting to change your mind about what you 'feel' is different, there are numeerous 'little' differences that can add up and no, they don't 'feel' like you are picking up a $4k guitar because they weren't built or made like a $4k guitar is. They are built to sell at that price point because PRS themselves could never build guitars in the US at that quality and quantity for that 'low' a price.
Okay man…you’re obviously pretty upset here…calling me a gear snob and whatnot. It doesn’t really seem like you’ve read what I responded with, but just keep reiterating the exact same points, without taking into consideration my responses.

Enjoy whatever guitars that make you happy, be them Core models or Cor-Teks…we’re obviously not going to see eye to eye, and I’m not here because I want to argue.

Boobs, you can probably tell that I like you, and this was an interesting discussion, but the horse you're beating is quite dead now.

No one wins these arguments. They're entirely subjective.

The people who agree with you already agree with you. Everyone else doesn't; and neither you nor they are going to change the others' minds.

You can all argue until you're blue in the face, and it doesn't make one bit of difference.

And...the upshot of all this is: So what. If you're right it doesn't change your life for the better, and if you're wrong, it doesn't change your life for the worse. Doesn't much matter.

Quoting this for truth and hope that it's undeniable logic will put this thread down like a horse with 3 broken legs.

Quoting this for truth and hope that it's undeniable logic will put this thread down like a horse with 3 broken legs.
Well, the point of me making the thread was to share my opinion, as well as see what other people think. Also it was to hopefully understand why I find Core guitars to be so great.

But since at this point you seem to want to just interject to end my thread, I don’t know that you’re bringing anything of value to the conversation. It seems like you’re just commenting to be rude.

I’m sorry that the thread is still ongoing, but you’re not required to click on it.

Well, just read the first 3 pages of this thread and, I agree with the OP on one thing - it’s silly - so forgive me if this is already stated elsewhere, but I’m not reading all 142 posts and honestly, I apologize for even responding.

Guitars are made primarily of wood. They’re all unique and some of them ‘speak to you’, others don’t. Sure, the cheaper offshore guitars don’t have the same level of fit n’ finish, but that’s why they’re cheaper. And cost is no guarantee that a guitar will be magic either - my favorite player isn’t even close to being my most expensive guitar - it’s a 2001 Gibson SG special (made in USA, but it’s the ‘cheap’ version with P90’s, like Santana’s at Woodstock or Pete Townshend’s before he broke them all). It cost 1/6 what my ‘99 McCarty Hollowbody II cost but, while it’s not anywhere near as pretty, it gets played 10 times more frequently because that guitar has ‘It’ and, frankly, the McCarty doesn’t. (Am I allowed to say that here?) Anyway, despite its relative cheapness (when new - it’s now worth about 3 times what I paid for it, unlike my OG McCarty, which is probably worth about half), it is by far the most badass guitar in my dwindling collection.

Gibson/Epiphone is not really a good analogy, either. In my mind, American Fender/Mexican Fender is closer to the mark (there used to be Japanese Fenders too, which were originally considered ‘second class’, but I think now some of them are prized collectibles). Anyway, while everyone lusts after American Fenders, there are plenty of Mexican Strats being played by professionals, and I’ve never heard anyone challenge their Fenderness simply because they were built across the border. And I’ve played plenty of crappy feeling American Standard Strats, along with a few good ones. You need to get up to the Artist series or higher before they start feeling and sounding more consistently good.

In any event, I’m not trying to dis PRS in any manner whatsoever - my point is that you like what you like, and there can be no judgment of someone else’s taste. If PRS was trying to pass off SE guitars as Core products, then you might have a point, but they’re not. They are SE’s, they cost a lot less because they’re made offshore so that they are more accessible to people who can’t afford to drop 5 grand on a guitar, there are plenty of working musicians using them (no doubt many with aftermarket pickups which is a relatively small additional investment), and there is absolutely nothing wrong with them. If they don’t speak to you, then don’t buy one, but it is unfair and pointless to cast aspersions on the players that do. If your Kraft singles are made by a copacker, are they not still Kraft singles? I’ll have to check that with the grilled cheese community at my next Shakedown Street, but I’m guessing it’s a non-issue, as this should be. It’s simply the way business is done in the 21st century global economy.

‘Nuff said.

Well, just read the first 3 pages of this thread and, I agree with the OP on one thing - it’s silly - so forgive me if this is already stated elsewhere, but I’m not reading all 142 posts and honestly, I apologize for even responding.

Guitars are made primarily of wood. They’re all unique and some of them ‘speak to you’, others don’t. Sure, the cheaper offshore guitars don’t have the same level of fit n’ finish, but that’s why they’re cheaper. And cost is no guarantee that a guitar will be magic either - my favorite player isn’t even close to being my most expensive guitar - it’s a 2001 Gibson SG special (made in USA, but it’s the ‘cheap’ version with P90’s, like Santana’s at Woodstock or Pete Townshend’s before he broke them all. It cost 1/6 what my ‘99 McCarty Hollowbody II cost but, while it’s not anywhere near as pretty, it gets played 10 times more frequently because that guitar has ‘It’ and, frankly, the McCarty doesn’t. (Am I allowed to say that here?) Anyway, despite its relative cheapness (when new - it’s now worth about 3 times what I paid for it, unlike my OG McCarty, which is probably worth about half), it is by far the most badass guitar in my dwindling collection.

Gibson/Epiphone is not really a good analogy, either. In my mind, American Fender/Mexican Fender is closer to the mark (there used to be Japanese Fenders too, which were originally considered ‘second class’, but I think now some of them are prized collectibles). Anyway, while everyone lusts after American Fenders, there are plenty of Mexican Strats being played by professionals, and I’ve never heard anyone challenge their Fenderness simply because they were built across the border. And I’ve played plenty of crappy feeling American Standard Strats, along with a few good ones. You need to get up to the Artist series or higher before they start feeling and sounding more consistently good.

In any event, I’m not trying to dis PRS in any manner whatsoever - my point is that you like what you like, and there can be no judgment of someone else’s taste. If PRS was trying to pass off SE guitars as Core products, then you might have a point, but they’re not. They are SE’s, they cost a lot less because they’re made offshore so that they are more accessible to people who can’t afford to drop 5 grand on a guitar, there are plenty of working musicians using them (no doubt many with aftermarket pickups which is a relatively small additional investment), and there is absolutely nothing wrong with them. If they don’t speak to you, then don’t buy one, but it is unfair and pointless to cast aspersions on the players that do. If your Kraft singles are made by a copacker, are they not still Kraft singles? I’ll have to check that with the grilled cheese community at my next Shakedown Street, but I’m guessing it’s a non-issue, as this should be. It’s simply the way business is done in the 21st century global economy.

‘Nuff said.

Thanks for your input.

I don’t blame you for not wanting to read through this whole thread, but a page or so back, I tried to explain how I felt about Gibson/Epiphone and Fender US/Japan/Mexico, as well as a few other brands with import variants.

I basically said that I find many Mexican and Japanese Fenders to be of equal or even superior quality to their US counterparts…they all feel like “Fenders” to me. As far as I know nowadays all Fenders (not Squires) are made by Fender factories in their respective countries, and I wonder if this makes a difference as compared with other brands that outsource their manufacture to third party companies.

As far as prices between Core and SEs are concerned, I’ve purchased all of my PRSi used at the following prices:

$925 2001 McCarty Standard
$1150 1997 CE24
$1400 2011 CU22 10 Top
$1600 (trade value) 2004 Hollowbody 2
$1750 1991 CU24 10 Top
$700-$850 4 different SEs (can’t remember the exact years) including a Soapbar II, a Holcomb, a Tremonti, and a CU24.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input.

I don’t blame you for not wanting to read through this whole thread, but a page or so back, I tried to explain how I felt about Gibson/Epiphone and Fender US/Japan/Mexico, as well as a few other brands with import variants.

I basically said that I find many Mexican and Japanese Fenders to be of equal or even superior quality to their US counterparts…they all feel like “Fenders” to me. As far as I know nowadays all Fenders (not Squires) are made my Fender factories in their respective countries, and I wonder if this makes a difference as compared with other brands that outsource their manufacture to third party companies.

As far as prices between Core and SEs are concerned, I’ve purchased all of my PRSi used at the following prices:

$925 2001 McCarty Standard
$1150 1997 CE24
$1400 2011 CU22 10 Top
$1600 (trade value) 2004 Hollowbody 2
$1750 1991 CU24 10 Top
$700-$850 4 different SEs (can’t remember the exact years) including a Soapbar II, a Holcomb, a Tremonti, and a CU24.

I can’t speak to QC on outsourced PRS SE guitars, but assuming arguendo that it’s a real issue, wouldn’t the market speak and stop buying them? Maybe I watch too many Shark Tank reruns, but I feel like copacking - which is essentially what we’re discussing here - is an accepted business practice, and I also think that people who buy SE’s buy them because they like them. I hope they’re not buying crappy guitars simply because they say PRS on them. I’m NOT suggesting that they are actually crappy, just illustrating the point, but maybe I’m deluded about how people make guitar buying decisions - I think everyone should get whatever instrument makes them happy, and not worry about what anyone else thinks because, well, who cares? You’re the one playing it, and you don’t need to please, or impress, anyone else. If that happens to be an SE, great, and if you never found one you liked, that’s ok too - it means you’re not just buying a label.

This is only an issue if you reject a guitar that you actually like or, worse, buy one you don’t like, simply because it was made (or not made) in a particular factory or carries a particular designation. If THAT is what you’re getting at - there may be a kernel of truth to your position, but I think you may have somewhat overstated your case (as is standard in a thread like this one), simply because I think it cuts both ways. And, not to be cold-hearted about it, but someone who buys a guitar they don’t really like simply because it has PRS (or Fender or whatever) printed on it, gets what they deserve. My $.03 (inflation, man): Just get a guitar that turns you on - whatever it is - and then play it until your fingers fall off.

I can’t speak to QC on outsourced PRS SE guitars, but assuming arguendo that it’s a real issue, wouldn’t the market speak and stop buying them? Maybe I watch too many Shark Tank reruns, but I feel like copacking - which is essentially what we’re discussing here - is an accepted business practice, and I also think that people who buy SE’s buy them because they like them. I hope they’re not buying crappy guitars simply because they say PRS on them. I’m NOT suggesting that they are actually crappy, just illustrating the point, but maybe I’m deluded about how people make guitar buying decisions - I think everyone should get whatever instrument makes them happy, and not worry about what anyone else thinks because, well, who cares? You’re the one playing it, and you don’t need to please, or impress, anyone else. If that happens to be an SE, great, and if you never found one you liked, that’s ok too - it means you’re not just buying a label.

This is only an issue if you reject a guitar that you actually like or, worse, buy one you don’t like, simply because it was made (or not made) in a particular factory or carries a particular designation. If THAT is what you’re getting at - there may be a kernel of truth to your position, but I think you may have somewhat overstated your case (as is standard in a thread like this one), simply because I think it cuts both ways. And, not to be cold-hearted about it, but someone who buys a guitar they don’t really like simply because it has PRS (or Fender or whatever) printed on it, gets what they deserve. My $.03 (inflation, man): Just get a guitar that turns you on - whatever it is - and then play it until your fingers fall off.

I really like SEs, and I think they’re great guitars, especially at their prices. But I’ve ended up gifting all the ones that I’ve owned to friends or family, simply because while they were great, I didn’t experience that special something that most of my Cores have. The reason that I’ve purchased 4 SEs over the years, was that I was hoping to find the same experience as I did with my Cores, but it hasn’t been the case so far. Again, I’ve played a LOT of guitars in my time, and the percentage of Cores that I find to be “magical” is above what I’ve found with any other manufacturer.

I wish I knew how to quantify exactly what that special something is, but again, I guess it just comes from a sum of everything that goes into a Core. I thought maybe someone here could identify with what I’ve experienced, and could offer some insight into what is quantitatively going on.

So far, I’ve decided that I need to try the newer SEs made at the new factory, as well as try a few models that have been suggested that were not previously on my radar.

Just found this newest PRS interview with one of my guitar heroes. I’ve had the pleasure of meeting him twice, and he’s been very friendly and accommodating to a random fan both times.

Anyway, what John says beginning at 14:05 in the interview is that “magical” thing that I’ve been trying to convey for the past 8 pages:

I really like SEs, and I think they’re great guitars, especially at their prices. But I’ve ended up gifting all the ones that I’ve owned to friends or family, simply because while they were great, I didn’t experience that special something that most of my Cores have. The reason that I’ve purchased 4 SEs over the years, was that I was hoping to find the same experience as I did with my Cores, but it hasn’t been the case so far. Again, I’ve played a LOT of guitars in my time, and the percentage of Cores that I find to be “magical” is above what I’ve found with any other manufacturer.

I wish I knew how to quantify exactly what that special something is, but again, I guess it just comes from a sum of everything that goes into a Core. I thought maybe someone here could identify with what I’ve experienced, and could offer some insight into what is quantitatively going on.

So far, I’ve decided that I need to try the newer SEs made at the new factory, as well as try a few models that have been suggested that were not previously on my radar.
But that’s can’t be true, unless you somehow believe that every Core guitar has ‘it’ and no SE guitar does, which is manifestly incorrect (sorry - I couldn’t think of a more gentlemanly way to say that).

Since you acknowledge that SE’s are “great guitars”, then this thread is, in it’s best light, illogical.

Unsubscribe.

But that’s can’t be true, unless you somehow believe that every Core guitar has ‘it’ and no SE guitar does, which is manifestly incorrect (sorry - I couldn’t think of a more gentlemanly way to say that).

Since you acknowledge that SE’s are “great guitars”, then this thread is, in it’s best light, illogical.

Unsubscribe.

I believe that 3 out of the 5 Cores that I’ve have has “IT”, but none of the 4 SE I’ve owned does. I’d like to know what’s different about those 3 Cores than almost any other electric solidbody guitars I’ve played.

See my last post as I think John says it better than I ever could.

Back