PRS SE Models - Do They Have the Same “Essence” As Core Models?

I have recently bought my first S2 series (Vela model) and it compares favorably to the four core models I have owned. I probably won’t buy another SE model, not that aren’t very good guitars. I would rather pay roughly another grand for an S2 than go to the trouble of rebuilding an SE and still have it come up short. As fare as core models go, I would probably look at other options when that kind of money is involved.
I don't see where the SE's come up short vs the S2's, aside from the locking tuners. Both have the Asian pickups, and the same neck construction. I much prefer my new SAS SE to the Vela I had and sold. Same neck construction except the SAS is maple. The Vela did seem to have a body from a single piece of mahogany but I find the natural grain of the SAS a lot more attractive, and then there's the pickups. No comparison. The SAS is much more interesting.

I don't see where the SE's come up short vs the S2's, aside from the locking tuners. Both have the Asian pickups, and the same neck construction. I much prefer my new SAS SE to the Vela I had and sold. Same neck construction except the SAS is maple. The Vela did seem to have a body from a single piece of mahogany but I find the natural grain of the SAS a lot more attractive, and then there's the pickups. No comparison. The SAS is much more interesting.
Vela bashing will not be tolerated! ;)

The Vela pickups are not import models. The humbucker is from the core Starla and the single coil D-style pickup is a new design also built in the USA. The plate style bridge was also purpose made for the Vela and is also found on the new NF53.
The fit and finish is much better than my 594 SE. The offset body is more comfortable whether standing or sitting.

I am glad you are happy with the SAS SE. I owned a core SAS, and it was a cool guitar but I prefer the Vela to it in almost every conceivable way.

I had to dig deep into some older videos made by PRS when it was first released which stated that the Starla humbucker wiring was outsourced to meet their specifications and then inspected at the PRS factory for conformance. They were less clear about the D type single coils. It is possible they were outsourced as well. All I know for sure is that they sound good to my ears. The pickup height is per specific PRS recommendations on their website for those pickups.

The Vela pickups are not import models. The humbucker is from the core Starla

I am glad you are happy with the SAS SE. I owned a core SAS, and it was a cool guitar but I prefer the Vela to it in almost every conceivable way.

The bridge pickup on the Vela is an import starla pickup. I have a core to put in mine though.

The seSAS is a fine guitar but it truly falls short of my core SAS. Yes, mine is modded, but my core is a better guitar in every way, as it should be. Well maybe I'd prefer the blue of the se. I'll admit in stock form my core SAS didn't fully do it for me tone wise, but it was still preferred over the se. True, I don't really care for the 8515s, and I do like them better in the seSAS than any se. My biggest complaint was the lack of sustain, too much volume loss with the middle, and the bridge was meh clean. Still a fine guitar, but with most se, I'd gut it.

It's difficult to even compare the seSAS and Vela..way too different. The Vela, is an awesome guitar and gave me much respect for the s2 line. Taking out all the differences of style of guitars and forcing to pick, I'd absolutely chose the Vela. Velas just rock.

Last edited:
The neck construction isn't the same as S2 besides the new releases being scarf.. the rest of the se are multi-ply.
You may be right. My SE Paul's guitar is a multi-ply or laminated three piece. Don't know about about the older Korean SE's etc. Clearly, though the S2's have the scarfed neck. So, the SAS has the same neck construction, pickups as good or better,, fretwork as good and is just a lot better looking in my opinion. I did love the neck on the Vela and the bridge was a cool design, but the pickups were just okay. Of course they cost a lot more being made in Maryland. Personally, though locking tuners are cool I think they're a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

A couple of points for you Torvald. My luthier, who used to work for PRS, tells me that the frets in the Indonesian guitars are not glued down when they are seated. If anyone knows otherwise, please tell me. All the American guitars (S2 and core) as well as the Korean ones, have glued down frets. If you’re a hobby guitarist who leaves your guitar in a temperature controlled room, it won’t make any difference. If you play out, then you want the best possible gigging guitar. I personally could care less about scarf vs 3 piece or whatever. I do care about whether or not the neck stays true in temperature changes. I also care about whether or not the fretwork will stay over time. I’m not a flavor of the month guy. NONE OF MY USA PRS HAVE HAD FRETWORK. That’s both the S2 and core. My SE’s have, and will probably need some in the future.
Not all woods are the same. I appreciate that my USA have the best woods available. I know the SE’s are made to PRS standards, but SE’s are made to a price point. They will have the best woods available at that price. They are not USA woods. Period. Every single PRS employee I’ve met is a guitar junkie like me. That’s going to make a difference. I live about 70 miles from the factory and play around the area, so I’ve met a few. They’ve trained the Asian factory workers to do the best possible job, but I honestly believe the Maryland work force has a higher skill level.
Whether or not you like or dislike a particular model is your privelege. Beauty will always be in the eye and ears of the beholder. Every S2 or core I’ve played has been at least a very good guitar. My keepers are magic to me. My SE keepers are also magic. I’ve just had to play a helluva lot more SE’s to find my magic ones. The SE SAS is a stupid amount of guitar for the money. Along with the SE SS, it’s like stealing because of the price. I’ve not played any of the 594’s but I’ve been told they and the DGT are also excellent. They are way better than similar offerings from other companies to my ears. They are just not quite as good as the S2’s. There’s a valid reason the US guitars cost more, but that doesn’t mean that any of us will ever denigrate our SE’s. They‘re all PRS at the end of the day.

Last edited:
You may be right. My SE Paul's guitar is a multi-ply or laminated three piece. Don't know about about the older Korean SE's etc. Clearly, though the S2's have the scarfed neck. So, the SAS has the same neck construction, pickups as good or better,, fretwork as good and is just a lot better looking in my opinion. I did love the neck on the Vela and the bridge was a cool design, but the pickups were just okay. Of course they cost a lot more being made in Maryland. Personally, though locking tuners are cool I think they're a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Yes, as said above the new models are scarf, rest multi-ply. The seSAS has great fretwork too, which hasn't been the case on many of the se I've tried lately. But every s2 I've played the fret work has been spot on.

Yes, the Vela neck pickup rocks and the pickups to my ear are superior to the 8515S, although agreed both import. I don't know why PRS insists on pumping out the 8515S. The Vela bridge is the same as MK, not sure where it's made, and I think the plates are different material. One reason I'm sure I prefer the Vela tone is brass saddles. And one of the reasons the se just don't do it for me, that bridge. I know I prefer my 30th se Floyd tone to the DW, both have tomahawks, but I put a big brass block in mine. Also it's the hog neck vs maple. Always a factor. The only real weak point is Vela pots.

The Maryland price increases the past few years does turn me off, but the Vela was a bargain when I bought mine new. Would I buy it new at today's prices, I don't know? It's a niche guitar to me more than an everyday one.

I still think the seSAS is an awesome guitar. One of the few se I'd be buyer for. But as a whole the se line vs s2 is an an age old debate that at one time I was in the se camp, but now give me an s2. The benefits have won me over after playing so many in A/B tests.

Yes, as said above the new models are scarf, rest multi-ply. The seSAS has great fretwork too, which hasn't been the case on many of the se I've tried lately. But every s2 I've played the fret work has been spot on.

Yes, the Vela neck pickup rocks and the pickups to my ear are superior to the 8515S, although agreed both import. I don't know why PRS insists on pumping out the 8515S. The Vela bridge is the same as MK, not sure where it's made, and I think the plates are different material. One reason I'm sure I prefer the Vela tone is brass saddles. And one of the reasons the se just don't do it for me, that bridge. I know I prefer my 30th se Floyd tone to the DW, both have tomahawks, but I put a big brass block in mine. Also it's the hog neck vs maple. Always a factor. The only real weak point is Vela pots.

The Maryland price increases the past few years does turn me off, but the Vela was a bargain when I bought mine new. Would I buy it new at today's prices, I don't know? It's a niche guitar to me more than an everyday one.

I still think the seSAS is an awesome guitar. One of the few se I'd be buyer for. But as a whole the se line vs s2 is an an age old debate that at one time I was in the se camp, but now give me an s2. The benefits have won me over after playing so many in A/B tests.
Agreed.

While I don’t get excited over any S2, had they come out at a different point in my life I could see myself being 100% satisfied with a Standard 24 (after a MannMade and some pups of course).

I just like the feature set of the new SAS. Maple neck, solid body with attractive grain rather than veneers. I like the pickups but I'm tempted to swap in a set of Seth Lovers that I happen to have. Wouldn't be any coil splitting that way though. I like the look of covered humbuckers like the core SAS had too.

A couple of points for you Torvald. My luthier, who used to work for PRS, tells me that the frets in the Indonesian guitars are not glued down when they are seated.
Not true according to the PRS/Cort factory tour where they clearly show the glue applied to the slots before the frets are put in. I was very impressed by how much attention was given to fretting, leveling, end treatment etc. It shows in the finished product right here in front of me.

The bridge pickup on the Vela is an import starla pickup. I have a core to put in mine though.

The seSAS is a fine guitar but it truly falls short of my core SAS. Yes, mine is modded, but my core is a better guitar in every way, as it should be. Well maybe I'd prefer the blue of the se. I'll admit in stock form my core SAS didn't fully do it for me tone wise, but it was still preferred over the se. True, I don't really care for the 8515s, and I do like them better in the seSAS than any se. My biggest complaint was the lack of sustain, too much volume loss with the middle, and the bridge was meh clean. Still a fine guitar, but with most se, I'd gut it.

It's difficult to even compare the seSAS and Vela..way too different. The Vela, is an awesome guitar and gave me much respect for the s2 line. Taking out all the differences of style of guitars and forcing to pick, I'd absolutely chose the Vela. Velas just rock.
It took a while for me to let go of my core SAS. I really enjoyed playing it but I preferred my core McCarty to it. In the end there were a couple things holding me back from it:
• I’m not really crazy about maple fretboards and the neck felt a little “clubby”compared to the McCarty which is strange because both have wide/fat necks.
• Never knew what to do with the middle pickup. The middle position just wasn’t the sound I was looking for.

It was a beautiful guitar though. I hope I don’t regret selling it!

Back