PRS SE Hollowbody vs Hollowbody II?! I need help.

Jamie Paterson

Hi everyone,

I had a look around the forum and couldn't find a thread that specifically addressed this.

I never anticipated I would be this much of a PRS guy but playing an SE for the last year and a half then recently picking up a Silver sky followed by a Sweet 16 combo...I just don't think much compares to the PRS line at these price ranges.

I am looking at fulfilling a gap in my collection by selling an old Korean made Epiphone ES335 and putting some cash on top towards a PRS SE Hollowbody or Hollowbody II. Has anyone tried both? I'd love to know why I should justify the higher price for a II or if I should not.

Any additional thoughts on these guitars would be greatly appreciated. I tried one out in a local music store recently and it intrigued me.

Go all the way and get the SE HB II Piezo! You will not regret it.

Sans Piezo, go with the SE HB II for mo betta figuring.

I can't speak to the differences, but the SE Hollowbody Standard is a special guitar. It's a got a warmth and smooth clarity that isn't like anything in my stable (30ish guitars). Most of the SE's are import versions of core guitars, but this model feels like it was meant to be it's own thing. It's a very good design and execution; ridiculous at the price point.

In my opinion the Standard was warmer, woodier, slightly more resonant and had more character. The HBII was tighter, cleaner, and more versatile. It was a hard choice and what ultimately drove my decision was the color and features of the Piezo version, but I still think a lot about that wonderful organic tone of the Standard. So I'd say, if you have other guitars and want that PRS HB character, go with Standard.

The HBII has the flame maple on the top and back, also on this insides which I think is what drives the price up a little.

I've always dreamed of having a PRS Hollowbody (Core) and having the figuring of the HBII and the maple binding of the Piezo makes me feel just a little closer.

I bought an SE Hollowbody II last month, for no other reason other than I was intrigued at having a hollow-bodied electric guitar. I cannot tell you enough how much I love playing that guitar. Price vs. the Standard wasn't a consideration, as I got it for less than a new HB Standard. I love the classic look of HB II. I can't imagine they'd sound much different when amplified - most of the wood is the same (body sides, neck, and fingerboard) and the pickups are the same.

Considering one of these myself - they look stunning and I don't currently have any semi-hollow or full hollow guitars.

Only doubt is how different it'll sound to my S2 594 Thinline given they have the same pickups?

Considering one of these myself - they look stunning and I don't currently have any semi-hollow or full hollow guitars.

Only doubt is how different it'll sound to my S2 594 Thinline given they have the same pickups?

My hunch is that you'll play it differently, so even with the same pups it will be a different experience. The guitar is light and very resonant.

I’ve had both, starting with the SE Hollowbody Standard. Played a lot with pickup adjustment and amp settings, but really couldn’t find much clarity with the neck pickup. The bridge was great, but I ended up selling it.

Recently picked up the SE Hollowbody II. Like a poster mentioned above, it creeps into LP range but still has its own unique sound. And it weighs almost half of what my Gibson LP Standard weighs!

If I had to recommend one, I would say get the HB II and make use of the tone knob to get HB Standard tones, if desired.

I’ve had both, starting with the SE Hollowbody Standard. Played a lot with pickup adjustment and amp settings, but really couldn’t find much clarity with the neck pickup. The bridge was great, but I ended up selling it.

Recently picked up the SE Hollowbody II. Like a poster mentioned above, it creeps into LP range but still has its own unique sound. And it weighs almost half of what my Gibson LP Standard weighs!

If I had to recommend one, I would say get the HB II and make use of the tone knob to get HB Standard tones, if desired.

Glad to hear, I just bought a PRS Hollowbody II for $799. Looking forward to exploring more mixing with some pedals and tube amps to explore the tones I don’t have with the silver sky

In my opinion the Standard was warmer, woodier, slightly more resonant and had more character. The HBII was tighter, cleaner, and more versatile. It was a hard choice and what ultimately drove my decision was the color and features of the Piezo version, but I still think a lot about that wonderful organic tone of the Standard. So I'd say, if you have other guitars and want that PRS HB character, go with Standard.

The HBII has the flame maple on the top and back, also on this insides which I think is what drives the price up a little.

I've always dreamed of having a PRS Hollowbody (Core) and having the figuring of the HBII and the maple binding of the Piezo makes me feel just a little closer.

Yea I love that this is an option for a PRS hollow body that isn’t in the $5000 range!

When I bought mine I played it, as well as some of the S2 594s. I just flat-out didn't resonate with the thinline and I couldn't tell you why.

What I can say is that I just kept putting the McCarty S2 594 down and picking the HBii back up. There is a difference in sound, although they feel so different it's hard to really say what the difference was. I definitely felt like the HB felt livelier, if that makes any sense, and fuller.

When I bought mine I played it, as well as some of the S2 594s. I just flat-out didn't resonate with the thinline and I couldn't tell you why.

What I can say is that I just kept putting the McCarty S2 594 down and picking the HBii back up. There is a difference in sound, although they feel so different it's hard to really say what the difference was. I definitely felt like the HB felt livelier, if that makes any sense, and fuller.
This is my experience also. Same pickups did not sound the same in different guitars! The HB II Piezo is much better to my ears. Glad its not just me.

Back