PRS SE Hollowbody II Piezo bridge issues

Paul Lewis

Hi everyone,

newbie here so be kind!!

recently purchased a new Peacock Blue burst SE Hollowbody II Piezo.

love the look and feel of the guitar but noticed that the intonation had drifted and some fret buzz on the wound strings - due to covid etc was ordered on line from a major UK on line store.

thought well it probably needs a quick set up and adjustment so took it to my guitar tech this morning.

He has diagnosed the bridge as the issue, the bridge pins seem to have pulled forwards so are not vertical, and the adjustable screws are too 'loose' in the pins allowing for at least 1mm of lateral movement each way..hence the intonation and fret buzz issues as the action has lowered and the bridge moving forwards has altered the intonation.

just wondered if anyone else has noticed anything similar?

cheers

Paul

Paul,

It sounds like there was some issue occurring from the online retailer...either they did not perform a QC inspection prior to shipment, or something during/after shipment that would have caused the problem.

If perhaps you've not tried making any changes to the HBII Piezo prior to the bridge issue, it is on the online retailer to make good with the repair. Usually, if the retailer is reputable, they will work with you and fund the repair cost that they agree constitutes acceptable price for the repair.

If the repair cost is more than an acceptable agreed price, I'd send the guitar back to the retailer after you've contacted them and described the problem. Bridge studs pulling forward sounds like a larger problem than a simple repair will do.

If it were me, I'd contact the online retailer and let them handle the problem. (Online retailer should foot the cost of return shipping since the issue occurred during shipment or prior to that.)

Paul,

It sounds like there was some issue occurring from the online retailer...either they did not perform a QC inspection prior to shipment, or something during/after shipment that would have caused the problem.

If perhaps you've not tried making any changes to the HBII Piezo prior to the bridge issue, it is on the online retailer to make good with the repair. Usually, if the retailer is reputable, they will work with you and fund the repair cost that they agree constitutes acceptable price for the repair.

If the repair cost is more than an acceptable agreed price, I'd send the guitar back to the retailer after you've contacted them and described the problem. Bridge studs pulling forward sounds like a larger problem than a simple repair will do.

If it were me, I'd contact the online retailer and let them handle the problem. (Online retailer should foot the cost of return shipping since the issue occurred during shipment or prior to that.)
Hi CandidPicker,

yes i too think its more than just a basic repair required, and am surprised it wasn't picked up through QC at either Maryland (i know all Indonesian SE's are QC'd prior to shipment to the dealers but not sure about the acoustic factory in China?) or at the dealers.

I have spoken and emailed the dealer who i bought from and they have opened a warranty claim and appear to be accepting and reasonable at this time although they wont have a replacement guitar in stock until early September.

they have asked me to send in some pictures and videos of the problem in the meantime so will wait to hear back.

i raised the post to see if anyone else had experienced anything similar with bridge posts on SE guitars before ?

cheers

Paul

My SE hollowbody standard and Hollowbody piezo both have about 5 degrees of bridge lean. I’ve done 2 things. First, I put locking studs on the bridge. Then, a little Teflon plumbers tape around the stud threads to remove all the play. The intonation is fine, and in the case of the piezo, I think it sounds a little clearer. I have had the same thing happen to most of the stoptail SE’s I’ve bought and flipped - about 20 in total.

Hi CandidPicker,

yes i too think its more than just a basic repair required, and am surprised it wasn't picked up through QC at either Maryland (i know all Indonesian SE's are QC'd prior to shipment to the dealers but not sure about the acoustic factory in China?) or at the dealers.

I have spoken and emailed the dealer who i bought from and they have opened a warranty claim and appear to be accepting and reasonable at this time although they wont have a replacement guitar in stock until early September.

they have asked me to send in some pictures and videos of the problem in the meantime so will wait to hear back.

i raised the post to see if anyone else had experienced anything similar with bridge posts on SE guitars before ?

cheers

Paul

Hi, Paul,

I think your case in an exception that goes against the norm, although @dogrocketp suggests that it CAN happen. My feeling is that I'd simply take the guitar out of rotation, ask the retailer to step up and repair it with shipment covered by them, and wait until either a black gold or peacock blue arrives at their shop. Yes, the wait time is like waiting for your laundry to finish the dry cycle, but spend time with your other guitars in rotation and be happy once the guitar arrives at your door. I know the feeling about waiting for guitars to be delivered. Thankfully, this is one time where "the cleaners" won't be taking you for a ride, either financially, or emotionally.

Hi, Paul,

I think your case in an exception that goes against the norm, although @dogrocketp suggests that it CAN happen. My feeling is that I'd simply take the guitar out of rotation, ask the retailer to step up and repair it with shipment covered by them, and wait until either a black gold or peacock blue arrives at their shop. Yes, the wait time is like waiting for your laundry to finish the dry cycle, but spend time with your other guitars in rotation and be happy once the guitar arrives at your door. I know the feeling about waiting for guitars to be delivered. Thankfully, this is one time where "the cleaners" won't be taking you for a ride, either financially, or emotionally.
@dogrocketp
great advice and info, have since googled and if the dealer doesn't come through and sort it i will definitely be looking into this as an option.

will be dismantling the bridge over the weekend and see what i see

cheers guys

Paul

@CandidPicker

will keep you posted on how things progress

Thanks, Paul. You'd think the QC would still be there for an import PRS SE; it may have been that during shipment heat/cold may have caused some issues, though I'd think that any string pull would have caused a neck bow, not bridge stud misalignment. It may be that this one slipped through QC's fingers as well as not being checked out correctly from the retailer prior to shipment. You live and learn.

yes

was hoping a PRS mod might drop by and add to the thread ?

Might be wise to ask @Shawn@PRS directly or email PRS Customer Service rather than be shy. A question does no harm and might provide some insight as how to proceed. Customer services is trained well. You might need to include a reduced size image (there are image converters available free of charge or for a small fee in the App Store or Google Apps) in the email and send a good representation of what the problem is, with multiple angles. May take a couple emails so as not to overload your outgoing mailbox. Wouldn't hurt to contact Customer Service.

EDIT: What @bodia said.

Might be wise to ask @Shawn@PRS directly or email PRS Customer Service rather than be shy. A question does no harm and might provide some insight as how to proceed. Customer services is trained well. You might need to include a reduced size image (there are image converters available free of charge or for a small fee in the App Store or Google Apps) in the email and send a good representation of what the problem is, with multiple angles. May take a couple emails so as not to overload your outgoing mailbox. Wouldn't hurt to contact Customer Service.

EDIT: What @bodia said.
Hi All

quick update - Thomann have agreed to replace the guitar under their warranty without any problems, they just asked me to send a few pictures and a description of the problem and agreed to replace without any argument whatsoever

they have mailed me the shipping label to send mine back, and are awaiting new stock in early September which will then go through their full quality control before being shipped.

once the new one arrives I’ll let you all know how it goes - seems like TonePros locking bridge posts are probably a good aftermarket mod anyway from what I have been reading

cheers

Paul

Tone pros locking studs are the same thickness as the original studs. I guessed that the thickness was calculated, and put them on my Hollowbody piezo. They sound fine, the sustain is amazing.

As my father used to say,”Rome wasn’t built in a day.” I know waiting is he’ll, but they are very fine guitars when everything is right, and IMHO absolutely worth it.

Just heard that there is a further 4 week delay on getting my replacement guitar back!!!
are PRS having a 4 week lockdown like we are in the UK lol
Oh well hopefully time flies !!

[QUOTE = "Paul Lewis, publicación: 579787, miembro: 36177"] Hola a todos:

novato aquí así que sea amable !!

compró recientemente un nuevo Piezo Peacock Blue burst SE Hollowbody II.

Me encanta la apariencia de la guitarra, pero noté que la entonación se había desviado y un zumbido de trastes en las cuerdas entorchadas, debido a covid, etc., se ordenó en línea desde una importante tienda en línea del Reino Unido.

Pensé bien que probablemente necesita una configuración y un ajuste rápidos, así que se lo llevé a mi técnico de guitarra esta mañana.

Él ha diagnosticado el puente como el problema, los pines del puente parecen haberse tirado hacia adelante, por lo que no son verticales, y los tornillos ajustables están demasiado 'flojos' en los pines, lo que permite al menos 1 mm de movimiento lateral en cada sentido ... de ahí la entonación y Problemas de zumbido de trastes ya que la acción ha bajado y el puente que avanza ha alterado la entonación.

¿Me preguntaba si alguien más ha notado algo similar?

salud

Paul [/ QUOTE]
Hola Paul!! yo tengo una se 35 aniversary..y tengo dudas sobre las pastillas tci......sabes algo sobre estas pastillas??

Just heard that there is a further 4 week delay on getting my replacement guitar back!!!
are PRS having a 4 week lockdown like we are in the UK lol
Oh well hopefully time flies !!

I'm having the same experience with my new Mesa amp. I heard they're 4mos backed up. My amp was supposed to come before end of October, now it's mid November. Hopefully the latest quotes hold true for both of us!

Back