PRS SE Custom 24 Exotic Top Spalted Maple

Victek

This great looking new SE has been on the Sweetwater.com site for a while, but still shows "pre-order" status. Does anyone know when it will become available? TIA

This great looking new SE has been on the Sweetwater.com site for a while, but still shows "pre-order" status. Does anyone know when it will become available? TIA
Well, basically whenever the ship makes it from Korea to the US with some on board.

Also, it is possible Sweetwater already got some in, they sold, and now they are waiting their next shipment.

Put in a pre-order with a rep, and tell them you want pictures before they ship it to make sure it is sufficiently aesthetically pleasing for you.

Well, basically whenever the ship makes it from Korea to the US with some on board.

Well, of course :) I was just hoping that someone here would have more specific information.

Also, it is possible Sweetwater already got some in, they sold, and now they are waiting their next shipment.

If memory serves when they sell out and are waiting for the next batch they change the status to "back ordered".

Put in a pre-order with a rep, and tell them you want pictures before they ship it to make sure it is sufficiently aesthetically pleasing for you.

Actually I do have one on order through an authorized local PRS dealer. I didn't think to ask for pictures, but that's a thought thanks.

I got one of those already as they were available last year in the EU. Enjoy guys! For me, the satin finished maple neck made it the best sounding and feeling guitar of all PRS SE Cu24 I have tried.

I got one of those already as they were available last year in the EU. Enjoy guys! For me, the satin finished maple neck made it the best sounding and feeling guitar of all PRS SE Cu24 I have tried.

That's great! I didn't know they had made a run of SE CU24 Spalted Maple last year. Does yours have the new 85/15 humbucking pickups? How do they compare with the HFS pickups?

Last edited:
That's great! I didn't know they had made a run of SE CU24 Spalted Maple last year. Does yours have the new 85/15 humbucking pickups? How do they compare with the HFS pickups?

They have the 85/15S I believe. I like them a lot, especially the neck and in between positions. They clean up fairly well but they could do with a treble bleed, which I will be adding to mine soon - The same way it is done on the core model. I would describe them as modern-ish with low to medium output. They can do vintage stuff nicely though. In pure PRS style they are quite clear sounding with good definition of each note played.

I have never played HFSs though...

Last edited:
They have the 85/15S I believe. I like them a lot, especially the neck and in between positions. They clean up fairly well but they could do with a treble bleed, which I will be adding to mine soon - The same way it is done on the core model. I would describe them as modern-ish with low to medium output. They can do vintage stuff nicely though. In pure PRS style they are quite clear sounding with good definition of each note played. I have never played HFSs though...

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking forward to getting mine soon and then I will be able to compare the pickups to the HFS pups in my older SE CU24 (still waiting for ship date from GC) :)

They have the 85/15S I believe. I like them a lot, especially the neck and in between positions. They clean up fairly well but they could do with a treble bleed, which I will be adding to mine soon - The same way it is done on the core model. I would describe them as modern-ish with low to medium output. They can do vintage stuff nicely though. In pure PRS style they are quite clear sounding with good definition of each note played.

I have never played HFSs though...

I would say that, in general, the move to the 85/15S was a good move on PRS' part. The HFS/VB combo was getting old, and I don't think they were a universally loved set of pickups... although some people did like them a lot, there were probably just as many that didn't, myself included. The newer SE and S2 pickups (all from the same manufacturer) have consistently impressed me. I would really like to try a set of the 85/15S pickups.

Back