PRS S2 CU24 warranty covers finish issues?

carpercen

Hi Guys!

Since I bought my S2 Cu24 I've been having some issues with the finish and I've been wondering if it's worth to send it back to my dealer so they can judge if there's a problem and warranty can cover it...

Acording to PRS this is the description on the S2 line finish:

[h=2]5. How is my Custom 24 different from an S2 Custom 24?[/h]Finish: The S2 Custom 24, along with the entire S2 Series, incorporates a new finish system where the color coat is embedded under a polyester basecoat and completed with an ultra–thin layer of acrylic urethane topcoat.

Now, when they say "ultra-thin", oh man... they really mean it... that thing is ridiculously thin... and more fragile than glass... here are some pics of what happened to my S2CU24 the day I received it:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-Dp2VII_hX4LVM1Z0xTeHgxb0k&usp=sharing

Now that hole was caused by my strap (pictures included) but come on guys, on a 1400 usd guitar? are you serious? I took my other two cheap guitars (a 100usd washburn and a 800 epi) and tried to scratch their paints and no, they never get scratched... but the PRS, I just put the strap, play a bit, when I finished I put it back on its case, the next morning I wanted to show my sister my new guitar so I opened the case, take the guitar and when I was ready to play it for her she asks "why does it have that scratch?" I was like "what are you talking about?" when I saw it my heart almost stopped...
But yeah, it's like that... apart from that it has a small ding on the back (also included in pictures) and las week It got one more after accidentaly I hit my chair while playing and again it got a ding and the wood get a dent... and I swear you guys, I'm really carefull with my guitar... I treat them like a man should treat a woman, you know what I mean... a guitar player always cares for his guitars no matter what the price tag on them says...
But accidents happen, and it was an accident I hit the chair, but man, it wasnt even a hard hit and paint scratched again and the wood dented!
I just want to understand because as far as I know, this series uses core woods, so, are those"higher grade woods" supposed to be dent so easy?
I even test again my cheapest guitar... It's old and well I had to know... so I took it and hit the chair with it and nothing happened... I even hit the chair really hard and really, nothing happened...
So why, why this expensive guitar's paint is so fragile? Man... it's a beautifull guitar... plays and sounds great... but the finish sucks...

And I don't want to be mean with PRS but, I wasnt expecting this from my guitar...

Excuseme because I have no pictures of that last scratch, I'll try to upload some once I get home...

But here is the thing:

I'm from Mexico, and Sweetwater guys have been very great people and want to help me with this but I need to send back the guitar which is a bit expensive and I don't know what the aftermath of that will be... So I wanted to ask you if anyone of you guys knows if this kind of thing is covered by the warranty...

I've read in other threads guys discusing this kind of issue with their finish with the V12, now, I know mine doesn't have the V12 thing but, come on, it's not fair that my guitar paint is falling apart so easy...

I just want to know if sending it back to have it checked will be worth... because if nothing can be done then I see no point on spending my money in vain, because to be honest, salary is "#$! in my country.

So thanks guys!
Looking forward to read your opinions!

The first ding always hurts, but thin finishes are delicate. That's an unavoidable fact of life.

An Epi has a thick (poly) finish. These are pretty robust and will not scratch and dent as easily.
However, thin finishes are considered a premium in today's guitar playing world.

Nitro finishes will dissolve on the wrong kind of guitar stand and the fur inside the case sometimes leaves marks in the finish.
Fender Urethane finishes chip easily and leave only bare wood.
The most robust finish is a thick coat of poly but you will not find this on any high-end guitar...

Also, mahogany is indeed a rather soft wood and dents easily.

I have an older '04 Mccarty with the supposedly "hard" finish, but it too is delicate. Mine has a bit of Budweiseritis.....those small dings that you just knew you wouldn't put on there 6 buds ago...;-) I doubt seriously that it would be considered a warranty issue. It's the finish, it's going to get wear and tear no matter how you treat the guitar. If it was clouded, patchy, bubbled, or orange peeled, maybe they would consider a refinish or something similar, but a ding or a dent, no matter how you think of the finish, isn't going to be covered.

Last edited:
PRS and Sweetwater were great with my S2 finish bubble that happened because there was a tiny finish gap at the fretboard join and my traditional wax got in there. Now, somehow, it got out of warranty shop with a fisheye in the middle of the back. It is small, maybe 3/16" in diameter but it is clear so the light mahogany under the dark cherry is like a nasty pimple on a lovely lady. I offered this time to pay for the shipping to them, around, $60 to ease the pain of a do-over. I have been quite ill and have not gotten it sent yet but I appreciate that they are going to re-do it.

Now, there was no "grey" area in causation, which makes coverage a non-issue.

My real ding is on the lower bout, but is in the scrape binding and not in the color, it was like it was preordained to not show. Only I in person know where it's at. I've often considered sending it to the PTC, but from Hawaii to Maryland is a long way, and shipping is exorbitant, and well, only I know it's there...;-)

Back