PRS S2 CU24 bridge goes out of tune when using trem bar! HELP PLEASE!!!

carpercen

Hi guys!
It just me bothering you again now with a different issue...

Trying to fix a wolftone issue... I removed one by one the springs on the back of the brigde, I'll try to describe exactly what I did...
I removed every spring one by one, removed, filled the cavity with rubber tubbing, put the spring back on the bridge and moved on to the nex spring...

When I finished with the four of them, plugged in the guitar and started playing, then I noticed that when using the trem down notes went flat, when pulling it up, notes go sharp...

I should say I bought my guitar June 6th, so its one mont and fourteen days older... and I never had problems with the bridge... no matter how much I used the trem bar, it always stayed perfectly in tune...

So I dont know what happened when I removed and put back the springs...

Also, after noticing this issue I removed al rubber tubbing cause I thought they were causing the problem but after removing them the problem was still there...

Now I cant use my trem because iT doesnt stay in tune... I watched some videos but Im not familiar with this kind of floating bridge... I'm familiar with floyd rose and fixed bridged (as I used to have those kind of guitars) but the prs floating trem is something different and I don't know what to do...

Im from Mexico and here where I live, I don't know any experienced guitar tech so I ask, well I actually beg all of you, please help me understanding what happened and how to fix this issue!

Please guys I beg for your help :(

Another thing I should say, is that when I removed the plastic cover for the bridge, I noticed that the 2 screw claws where you place the springs, were not parallel, one of the sides was shortes than the other one (the shorter was the one on the side of the high e and b string) and believing it could be related to the wolftone I turned the shorter side a little bit, it wasnt to much... but I didn't noticed any problem after that... the trem was finee, strings stayed in tune!
The problem started after messing up with the springs...

Yesterdar after reading and watching some videos, I managed to make the bridge stay in tune but only with one side of the trem... I mean for example that if I tunned the strings pulling the trem, the strings stay in tune, but when dive-bomb they go flat... and If I tune using the trem down, they stay in tune when dive bombing but goe sharp when pulling up the arm...

Also I moved a little bit the claws, put them at the same length and no help so I reverted the turns on the screw to let the claws as they were and I havent been able to fix my bridge.

But I know it can be solved because it came in great shape with no issue and I know I can get it back in shape, I just need some advice... so please guys... help this poor fella :(

Thanks to you all!

Ill leave some pics:

http://postimg.org/image/b28twt11x/
http://postimg.org/image/iji1c0ql1/
http://postimg.org/image/8cutw3yan/
http://postimg.org/image/g85dax7xb/
http://postimg.org/image/4kbbgdisf/
http://postimg.org/image/o3fwpqhjz/

Last edited:
I can't quite tell from the angle of the pictures, but it appears that the resting position of the bridge isn't level. You want it to return to be parallel with the body.

2 silly questions:

1. Are you sure you got the claw back where it started? If I'm right about the level in pix, you might need to lengthen the springs.

2. Did you put the springs back in the same places you took them from? Could be they aren't uniform in tension and the placement matters...

I can't quite tell from the angle of the pictures, but it appears that the resting position of the bridge isn't level. You want it to return to be parallel with the body.

2 silly questions:

1. Are you sure you got the claw back where it started? If I'm right about the level in pix, you might need to lengthen the springs.

2. Did you put the springs back in the same places you took them from? Could be they aren't uniform in tension and the placement matters...

If I return it parallel with the body, is will still move up and down? or only down?

About the questions:
At first, I was sure that I return the claw exactly where they were, but after trying to stupdli fix it yesterday I must say that right now, no, they aren't in the exact position they were before my stupidnes...

And yes, the springs were in te exact place they were as I didn't removed all of them in one go, I did it one by one, returning the spring in its exact place and order before removing the next one.

Thanks for your answer, I hope you can keep helping me :(

Okay, so it sounds like there are two things going on -- the strings are not smoothly sliding in the nut, and you haven't finished tuning the guitar. You can try ignoring the first one, but the solution is to flex the trem a little bit every time you think it's tuned, and then tune it again. Eventually you'll finish tuning it.

Note: this is why I told you what the purpose of the springs are -- they're there to pull the bridge in the other direction from the strings. They're calibrated to match the force of the strings, so if you switch string weights radically enough, you need to switch springs, too. Did you loosen the strings when you pulled out the springs?

Okay, so it sounds like there are two things going on -- the strings are not smoothly sliding in the nut, and you haven't finished tuning the guitar. You can try ignoring the first one, but the solution is to flex the trem a little bit every time you think it's tuned, and then tune it again. Eventually you'll finish tuning it.

Note: this is why I told you what the purpose of the springs are -- they're there to pull the bridge in the other direction from the strings. They're calibrated to match the force of the strings, so if you switch string weights radically enough, you need to switch springs, too. Did you loosen the strings when you pulled out the springs?

Oh man... I didn't detune it while removing the springs... I'm an idiot -.-

Is this too bad? how should I procced?

You may have stretched out the springs, that's all. Don't panic. Like I said elsewhere, worst case is, you'll need new springs. I'd rather someone else told you how to proceed, as I've never tuned a PRS trem before from scratch ("set up"). Do you not have access to a local guitar tech? Every guitar store has one -- they can do a "setup" for you for a small fee. That's what I would recommend.

You may have stretched out the springs, that's all. Don't panic. Like I said elsewhere, worst case is, you'll need new springs. I'd rather someone else told you how to proceed, as I've never tuned a PRS trem before from scratch ("set up"). Do you not have access to a local guitar tech? Every guitar store has one -- they can do a "setup" for you for a small fee. That's what I would recommend.

I didn't buy the guitar here... actually no one sells PRS here in my city...
A friend was on Texas and he do me the favor to buy it and bring it with him when he traveled back... there is one guitar store here but... I don't believe the guitar guy there it expert on this subject so I'd preffer to learn how to do it myself, just hoping someone can put me on the right direction :(

I answered your problem in the other thread. The problem is pretty simple. You just need to put the trem into the grooves in the 6 set screws in the front of the trem like in this photo:
P1010027.jpg

See the other thread for details. You might need to set the trem height again and even out the tension on the 2 claw screws but let me know when you get the trem set again and we can go from there.

Last edited:
I answered your problem in the other thread. The problem is pretty simple. You just need to put the trem into the grooves in the 6 set screws in the front of the trem like in this photo:
P1010027.jpg

See the other thread for details. You might need to set the trem height again and even out the tension on the 2 claw screws but let me know when you get the trem set again and we can go from there.
Hi man, I answer you in the other post, I hope you can answer me too!

THanks!

In your third pic, it looks like your trem needs to go back into the grooves of your fulcrum screws.

The 6 screws that act as pivots have a groove machined just below the screw heads. It looks like the trem has dropped below those. Don't adjust these screws, just loosen strings take two or three springs off then put trem back in those grooves.

The spring claw is there to adjust spring pressure. If you change string gauge then you adjust claw to keep trem parallel to body. I wouldn't worry about damage to springs, they can take a ton of abuse and be just fine.

Back