PRS quality: 1980's vs 90's vs 00's vs 10's vs 20's.....

It is somewhat unusual to have transferable warranties on instruments, that being said most Vendors will stand beind true defects.
You never truely know what it's past life was ...

I have PRS models dating back 20 years , as a Luthier the only "flaw" I 've seen is the clouding ...and that's been addressed . I do like the newer finishes better , but my 01 McCarty still looks like new .

The BIG advantage I see with PRS is of the top 3 , they are the ONLY one where the founder is still engaged on a daily basis .. even Bob Taylor stepped away . IMO Paul is as obsessed with improving the instruments now as ever.
Apparently PRS' policy has changed within the past 5 years or so. I've read a user account, where circumstances were *very* similar to mine, state that he received unbelievably favorable treatment from PRS and that, moreover, the PTC did a complete refinish on his (second owner) guitar to render it "like new," second owner was only held responsible for shipping. Change in personnel / service manager?

Last edited:
Apparently PRS' policy has changed within the past 5 years or so. I've read a user account, where circumstances were *very* similar to mine, state that he received unbelievably favorable treatment from PRS and that, moreover, the PTC did a complete refinish on his (second owner) guitar to render it "like new," second owner was only held responsible for shipping. Change in personnel / service manager?
I think that is where their evaluation comes in. I had to send one of mine in due to clouding issues. I had no idea if they were going to take care of it when I sent it in. The way I looked at it was that if I ever decided to sell the guitar it was going to sell for less because of the finish. I like the guitar so it made sense to send it in and let them look at it to see what it was going to cost to fix it. After looking at it they told me they were going to refinish it under warrantee. They determined it was a failure in either materials or workmanship. I have my guitars insured through Heritage so I didn't have to pay a huge insurance fee to get it there.

It is somewhat unusual to have transferable warranties on instruments, that being said most Vendors will stand beind true defects.
You never truely know what it's past life was ...

I have PRS models dating back 20 years , as a Luthier the only "flaw" I 've seen is the clouding ...and that's been addressed . I do like the newer finishes better , but my 01 McCarty still looks like new .

The BIG advantage I see with PRS is of the top 3 , they are the ONLY one where the founder is still engaged on a daily basis .. even Bob Taylor stepped away . IMO Paul is as obsessed with improving the instruments now as ever.
Yeah, it sucks for the buyer, but instruments are typically only warranted to the original owner. The warranty doesn’t transfer even if the guitar is resold in it’s first week with the original purchaser.

Only "unusual" PRS I've handled, is my 2015 30th Anniversary Custom 24. Only reason I say its "unusual", and kind of a bad thing for me, is that it by far has the smallest radius and thinnest neck I've tried on a Custom 24. I've tried out a bunch of Custom 24s and also have a 2021 Custom 24 Floyd, and I've noticed that most other Custom 24s have similar neck profiles. But if you were blindfolded and tried each neck out, you would think my 30th Anniversary was a different model of guitar. Not sure why it differs so much from the normal Custom 24.

PRS pays a lot of attention to detail.
Especially to the US made guitars - though I don't like some results (e. g. a few details on the SilSky, Fiore - but, hey, the signatured celebrities accepted it).

But they had some exeptional issues in terms of quality and control around 2014:

First V12 coat which was not adhensive on the neck. PRS' guaranty/warranty and generosity took responsibility.

Second - but maybe it was only a problem in Europe, because of different electrical lines (current strenght, current voltage) - the issues with buzz noise of 513 with production line point-to-point soldered connections (and no PCB in the compartment). Research & Development and others seeked for the reason, I
deem, they updated all shielding.

That being said: Even PRS suffers from failure, but they take care on getting it fixed.

Second - but maybe it was only a problem in Europe, because of different electrical lines (current strenght, current voltage) - the issues with buzz noise of 513 with production line point-to-point soldered connections (and no PCB in the compartment). Research & Development and others seeked for the reason, I
deem, they updated all shielding.

That being said: Even PRS suffers from failure, but they take care on getting it fixed.
The 513 was very close to being my first PRS guitar. I found that a shop I bought much of my stuff from back then had one and it was in a finish I really liked. It had a great top on it. I talked to one of my sales guys there and we took it down from the rack and plugged it in. I really wanted it to be the end all be all guitar. It was not. It hummed a lot, more than a guitar with regular single coil pickups in it. I ended up buying a different brand of high end guitar that day. Thankfully I didn't let that one guitar ruin the dream of owning a PRS for me.

I've owned and still own a number of prs guitars. I've now culled to a point where I have only kept the ones that "spoke to me" and get played out regularly.

And they are all incredibly consistent in build quality.

However, when I was able to acquire a 1990 custom, ie same specs as the late 80s guitars, small heel, braz board, winged tuners, milcom trem, I understood the big deal some make of the earlier guitars.

All those little things make a difference. While I won't concede that the earlier duplicarved instruments are better (I love my workhorse 2009 dgt), there is something else going on with the earlier ones......

Ymmv

I have a few: earliest is from '89, one is from 2005, one is mid-noughties and the latest is about a month old.

Though they are all the result of some selective shopping, they're all great instruments.

Back