PRS pickups

gush

Where is that speedo pic
Ok, I was having a discussion with a forum brother about 5708s and 5310s.

I had been thinking that the 5708s were the higher output pickups of the two.

Which is it?

Playing the Google online spec game, it seems like the 53/10s are about 0.5K hotter on average. It's a tricky comparison, though, because the vintage machinery and winding techniques on the 57/08s lead to significant variance in DC resistance. Reviews I've read note that there are "hot" sets and "cool" sets just like you would get with vintage PAFs.

53/10s sound like really cool pups! I read that they were designed to give a hot/warmer sort of PAF tone full on and a P-90 type of tone when you tap them. I don't think they're in production anymore. They originally went on the piezo "P" series, which currently has 58/15s stock I believe.

Hopefully someone with direct experience will chime in for ya!

53/10s are a little higher output, but not really "hotter" sounding. Warmer, sweeter. Maybe a little less harmonic complexity, but still rich. Amazing grind and chime. Not as "bratty" as the 57's or other PAF types. I noticed a big difference in the neck position when mine were installed. Less compressed. Brought in a lot of warmth and body, but not muddy at all. I played them in a ME Quatro first, they're definitely stand-out pickups. Perhaps the best PRS pickup, or any PAF type ever?

Good to know. How would one figure out which version of P22 pickups you're looking at? I can tell by playing them but not looking at them.

Good to know. How would one figure out which version of P22 pickups you're looking at? I can tell by playing them but not looking at them.

Year of manufacture is the easiest (first two digits of serial number) - 2012 was the only year to have 53/10s.

I've never bonded with a 53/10 equipped guitar. I've played several but just couldn't get on with them. Clean and light crunch with them are not bad, they can sound really nice. Higher gain just felt too round and warm, not enough bite there. I think they're nice pickups and have they're place. A lot of people really love them. They always just feel too polite and almost subdued to me. That said, never owning a set, I've never messed with pickup height or tried to dial them in.

edit: I have no idea on measurements, but the 5708's feel hotter and more aggressive to me. It might just be because they are brighter sounding.

53/10s are a little higher output, but not really "hotter" sounding. Warmer, sweeter. Maybe a little less harmonic complexity, but still rich. Amazing grind and chime. Not as "bratty" as the 57's or other PAF types. I noticed a big difference in the neck position when mine were installed. Less compressed. Brought in a lot of warmth and body, but not muddy at all. I played them in a ME Quatro first, they're definitely stand-out pickups. Perhaps the best PRS pickup, or any PAF type ever?

So true! At first I had the 57/08s and got used to killer tones on all positions. Then i got a ME Quatro and at first any mistakes were more noticeable. Some call it a tele clarity.
All I know is that I am now gravitating to them more and my playing is most likely the better for it.

Reactions: LJD
I agree with Vaughn, the 53/10s don't "feel" as hot...though it's just a matter of the tonal balance of course, they're not as bright and don't drive the high frequencies as much. Think of what a treble booster does to gain up an amp, and you can see what I mean.

So if I was a high gain player, I'd choose a different pickup.

However, the 53/10s are gorgeous sounding pickups for the right player. I loved the set I had and still regret letting that guitar go.

I sure wish PRS made more of their pickup models available for purchase...id probably replace my tremonti neck with a 57/08 covered.

Back