PRS pickups. Putting metal covers on my 85/15s

Gxmoore200

Hello! I’m fairly new to forums So bare with me.
I’ve been playing a PRS se cu 24 for about a year now and I absolutely love it. I was thinking about “future proofing” it to insure that I’m not put in a position where I feel like I need to replace it. I love everything about it, but considering upgrading a handful of things. I love the pickups, seen a ridiculous amount of comparisons between WAY TOO MANY pickups and decided I wasn’t going to replace my 85/15s set. I love the sound of em’ but I absolutely hate the cream yellow color they come with. They’re great quality but the color makes the whole guitar look cheap IMHO. So I was thinking, instead of replacing, what if I covered them? How much of a sound difference would it make? Is it possible to add metal covers at all? Please help me out!

Hello! I’m fairly new to forums So bare with me.
I’ve been playing a PRS se cu 24 for about a year now and I absolutely love it. I was thinking about “future proofing” it to insure that I’m not put in a position where I feel like I need to replace it. I love everything about it, but considering upgrading a handful of things. I love the pickups, seen a ridiculous amount of comparisons between WAY TOO MANY pickups and decided I wasn’t going to replace my 85/15s set. I love the sound of em’ but I absolutely hate the cream yellow color they come with. They’re great quality but the color makes the whole guitar look cheap IMHO. So I was thinking, instead of replacing, what if I covered them? How much of a sound difference would it make? Is it possible to add metal covers at all? Please help me out!

I want to say Philadelphia Luthier Supply is where people have been buying covers for the SE pickups. They have a specific spacing for the pole pieces that you can get there. And, I think it's a great upgrade. I love the look of covered pickups too. Tonally, they're said to shave a tiny bit of high end sparkle off, which on an SE CU24, is probably not something you're going to miss, they're sort of bright guitars, at least in the realm of PRS.

Honestly, I think you're on the right track not flat-out replacing the pickups. I've swapped in Duncans and Dimarzios into some SE's and not found anything to be overall superior to the stock pickups. The only pickup replacements that have been a true upgrade in performance for me have been going to USA PRS pickups. But if you're not going to do that... I'd say, put covers on and don't sweat it!

I want to say Philadelphia Luthier Supply is where people have been buying covers for the SE pickups. They have a specific spacing for the pole pieces that you can get there. And, I think it's a great upgrade. I love the look of covered pickups too. Tonally, they're said to shave a tiny bit of high end sparkle off, which on an SE CU24, is probably not something you're going to miss, they're sort of bright guitars, at least in the realm of PRS.

Honestly, I think you're on the right track not flat-out replacing the pickups. I've swapped in Duncans and Dimarzios into some SE's and not found anything to be overall superior to the stock pickups. The only pickup replacements that have been a true upgrade in performance for me have been going to USA PRS pickups. But if you're not going to do that... I'd say, put covers on and don't sweat it!
Thank you so much man, I really appreciate that

Back