PRS Newbie with rear contour questions.... SE specifically

SlowHand78

After 30+ years of playing F brand strats, and of course loving my PRS Silver Sky(s)....I'm wanting to grab a few PRS with humbuckers, BUT.. from what I can tell in pictures, not all rear contours are created equally. Silver Sky's aside (which are obviously the most strat like) what other SE models seem to have a strat like rear contour? Note: I ask because I have absolutely no stores within 90 miles of me so online purchase is the only option. Thanks

I cant be the only one that thinks it's a fun day to jump in the car and take a mini road trip to check out some gear and guitars? Its great, get to see a few sites, grab some grub, and check out some new to me guitars and shops. What's best isn't the guitars I find that I know I like, but the ones I see online and think I might like.

Did this Friday and it was a great day well spent. Found out many of them weren't for me and couple are.

Ex. Strat guy, and yes I find PRS countours comfy.

Thanks for replying SinSir.... I've just noticed like for example, a DGT SE seems to have a pretty large and deep rear contour, whereas the Custom 24 and Santana basically have none. I've tried a few 245's and just cannot get along with them as they really don't have much of a rear contour and they are extremely uncomfortable to me.

Thanks for replying SinSir.... I've just noticed like for example, a DGT SE seems to have a pretty large and deep rear contour, whereas the Custom 24 and Santana basically have none. I've tried a few 245's and just cannot get along with them as they really don't have much of a rear contour and they are extremely uncomfortable to me.
The DGTs are a special guitar and lots of fun to play
they may be the best value in the SE line

The Custom 24s are great too
you will find the contours close to the strat with my SE 24-08 being a touch thinner than my 2002 MIM Strat
you will also love how the 24-08 splits the humbuckers

but with any guitar you should take the time and effort to play them first
you will soon be addicted

I think every SE at least has a belly cut except for the Hollowbody models. The belly cuts aren't generally Strat deep, but they're enough to keep the back edge from digging in. Another Strat guy here and I've found all the SE models comfy.

I think every SE at least has a belly cut except for the Hollowbody models. The belly cuts aren't generally Strat deep, but they're enough to keep the back edge from digging in. Another Strat guy here and I've found all the SE models comfy.
From what I can see, its really all over the place.... the old SE Custom 22's seem to be almost strat like, but the newer Custom 24's and 24-08's barely have any..... the DGT's look really deep, but, say, the Santana's and Singlecuts have barely any. Like I said, I had access to a 245 that I could have basically had for free...loved everything about the guitar except the "contour" was so shallow that it was still digging in the ribs sitting or standing. Guess I've just played strats so long I'm spoiled by that deep body hugging contour.

True some are shallower than others. A quick look on Sweetwater shows the DGT and Customs are equivalent to my eyes.

DGT:
CTIF090762-backbody-large.jpg.auto.webp

Custom 24:
CTIE42778-backbody-large.jpg.auto.webp

Custom 24-08:
CTIF111357-backbody-large.jpg.auto.webp

True some are shallower than others. A quick look on Sweetwater shows the DGT and Customs are equivalent to my eyes.

Custom 24:
CTIE42778-backbody-large.jpg.auto.webp

Custom 24-08:
CTIF111357-backbody-large.jpg.auto.webp
The 24-08 looks shallower to me than the regular Custom 24 in this pic.... the Custom 24 appears to travel farther towards the trem guard, and extend a longer length as well. I know to those who have played uncomfortable Les Paul's and other boat anchor Gibsons for years this is likely trivial, but to strat & super strat players this is a huge deal. This means far more to me than say, the electronics.

The 24-08 looks shallower to me than the regular Custom 24 in this pic.... the Custom 24 appears to travel farther towards the trem guard, and extend a longer length as well. I know to those who have played uncomfortable Les Paul's and other boat anchor Gibsons for years this is likely trivial, but to strat & super strat players this is a huge deal. This means far more to me than say, the electronics.

Then there's no way to tell for sure other than to strap one on!

Or you can always mod a Silver Sky for humbuckers! 🤘

Best To Go To A Shop And Play Them If One Is Within A Couple Of Hours. You Will Know What Works (Or Doesn't) As Soon As You Get One In Your Hands.

Back