PRS ME V questions

Sheena_Ringo

I bought the ME V lately, I think the pickups sounds very hi-fi and polite even in humbucker mode. In single coil mode to me it sounds like a strat, but again very hi-fi and thin sounding. Therefore I wanna know if your ME V has the same tonal quality?

I also have the 2015 Paul's Guitar which is one of my favorite PRS guitars, the pickups sound totally different compare to my ME V, I know the ME V is the TCI version. But my Paul's Guitar's sounding is not hi-fi or polite, it sounds big and fat in a very good way, it also sounds really great in single coil mode, very useable.

So I wonder if I can tweak my ME V's pickups to get the sound which really close to my Paul's Guitar? There are 6 screws in both neck and bridge pickups, not sure if I can tweak them, please let me know, thanks!

Absolutely adjust pickup and pole heights. I do it to every guitar to my ears taste. Keep in mind small adjustments go a long way, especially with PRS.

The 2 screws on the sides of the pickup rings will raise/lower the height of the entire pickup (not the 4 screws in the corners of the pickup rings - those hold the rings to the guitar). I'd recommend starting with those. Generally speaking, the closer the pickups are to the strings, the louder and brighter/clearer. Farther away from the strings, it will get a little quieter, warmer/darker. The 6 screws in the pickups themselves (sometimes referred to as pole pieces) are for fine tuning the balance and tone of each string. In other words, you may find one particular string sounds a little louder than the rest if you're strumming a chord, you could then lower the screw under that specific string.

As SinSir said, small adjustments make a big difference so go slow, check to see how it sounds, continue to adjust as needed. You might also want to measure the pickup height before you start, that way if you're unhappy with the changes you know where to bring it back to

My MEV was also a bit too polite sounding. Raised the pickups as they were quite low and BOOM it’s everything I was hoping for and more. Pretty much all I play now.

My MEV was also a bit too polite sounding. Raised the pickups as they were quite low and BOOM it’s everything I was hoping for and more. Pretty much all I play now.
I will try to raise the pickups and see how they will sound, thanks for your advise! I just received the email from PRS and they don't suggest to tweak the pickups tho

I will try to raise the pickups and see how they will sound, thanks for your advise! I just received the email from PRS and they don't suggest to tweak the pickups tho
Raising the pickups isn't tweaking them. I guess, the pole pieces could be considered tweaking them, but adjusting the pickup height is normal setup procedure.

Also change your amp settings. People always forget that’s a huge part of the tone. The TCI’s can handle edge of breakup better than most pickups.
Also often missed, great advice. To many times I change guitars and wonder why the magic went away. It’s the amplifier settings as I’ve pretty much fine tuned all my guitars. I really should spend more time on amp and pedal settings.

Back