PRS Fretboard Radius

Alex Jackson

Hi, just a question to anyone at PRS or anyone who's bought a custom PRS guitar. I'm someone who plays a lot of technical shred kind of things so for me having a flat fretboard radius is quite important. I much prefer the feel of them. Everything else about PRS guitars I love, the feel of the neck, the look, the tone, the scale length. I notice that almost all PRS guitars on the website have a 10" radius apart from I think one Mark Holcomb signature model which I believe is 20". Is there a way to order a guitar with a flatter fretboard radius (E.G. 16"+)? Would I have to look at a custom private stock order to get something like that, and is that even an option with those guitars? Thanks to anyone who replies :)

The Torero was 14 inch and had a ebony board with a Floyd trem. Even had EMG’s.
True, although the overall Metal look of the torero isn't really for me. Not keen on the Floyd or the EMGs. A normal Custom 24 08 is the exact sort of sound and look that really appeals to me. It would be my absolute perfect guitar if it had a flatter radius. I know it's only a small thing and I could learn to get used to a more curved feel, but for me, if I'm looking at spending upwards of £3000 it has to be perfect

Best way to find out is to reach out to a dealer and have them ask if they'll do it, but it would be private stock. It's not an available option on a CU24.

For a lot less than a PS you could get the one you want and re-radius it. I wouldn’t imagine that it would remove enough meat to knock off the birds, anyone ever do that?
There's mention of this on here somewhere. Maybe even a couple spots. If I remember right it's doable and able to keep the birds looking good.

Hi, just a question to anyone at PRS or anyone who's bought a custom PRS guitar. I'm someone who plays a lot of technical shred kind of things so for me having a flat fretboard radius is quite important. I much prefer the feel of them. Everything else about PRS guitars I love, the feel of the neck, the look, the tone, the scale length. I notice that almost all PRS guitars on the website have a 10" radius apart from I think one Mark Holcomb signature model which I believe is 20". Is there a way to order a guitar with a flatter fretboard radius (E.G. 16"+)? Would I have to look at a custom private stock order to get something like that, and is that even an option with those guitars? Thanks to anyone who replies :)
Have you gotten to try a Holcomb? I love mine. I also have a couple of Ibanez's that are 15.75", but I don't feel like it's a huge difference switching from them to the Holcomb with it's 20".
Of course, it's also a longer scale length that the usual PRS (25.5 vs 25), and I keep mine tuned down a whole step. If you'd be playing it tuned normally, that longer length/increased tension might be a feel-issue for you

Have you gotten to try a Holcomb? I love mine. I also have a couple of Ibanez's that are 15.75", but I don't feel like it's a huge difference switching from them to the Holcomb with it's 20".
Of course, it's also a longer scale length that the usual PRS (25.5 vs 25), and I keep mine tuned down a whole step. If you'd be playing it tuned normally, that longer length/increased tension might be a feel-issue for you
Yeah I have played a Holcomb. It's a great guitar but not quite for me. But yeah I did love the feel of the neck and the radius was perfect.

Back