PRS Fiore Humbucker Swap

jcourtjr

Hi, I tried searching but couldn't find anything but has anyone successfully swapped out a Humbucker in the Fiore? Looking to swap in a Suhr SSV (which has a 4 conductor Seymour Duncan style wiring colors). I have not yet removed the Fiore-H yet but i see black, green, red, white and orange coming out of the humbucker cavity. Also see the black bridge ground coming out of there.

I think PRS is using the same colors on all of the new 4 wire pickups for the same purposes from what I have experienced with them. The white is the hot and black is the other end of the coils. The red is the tap wire. I would have to look into the green wire. You should be able to figure it out by where they are connected.

Edit: Fixed typo in colors.

Last edited:
Well if you see in the Fiore diagram its saying White is Hot, Black is going to the push pull pot along with Red, Green looks like ground but not sure what Orange is but orange is not mentioned in this diagram.

dcgNVFy.jpg

I think PRS is using the same colors on all of the new 4 wire pickups for the same purposes from what I have experienced with them. The black is the hot and white is the other end of the coils. The red is the tap wire. I would have to look into the green wire. You should be able to figure it out by where they are connected.

Well if you see in the Fiore diagram its saying White is Hot, Black is going to the push pull pot along with Red, Green looks like ground but not sure what Orange is but orange is not mentioned in this diagram.

dcgNVFy.jpg
I apologize, I gave you bad information. The white wire is the hot wire. The black wire goes to round, which is were it will go when you connect it to that center lug on the push pull switch. You would use the black wire as the hot if you needed to flip the phase of the pickup. You will want to check to see if the new pickup is the same magnetic phase as the one you are removing. If they are not, you will need to flip the hot and ground wires on the new pickups to put them in the same phase or it may sound thin and honky when combined with the middle pickup. The red wire is the tap wire.

Do you have an orange wire? Also, the new 4 wire PRS pickup I just bought doesn't have a green wire on it so I am wondering about that one as well. Are you able to take some pictures of the wiring in the cavity of the guitar and post them? That may help.

As a note, the Fiore is wired different that other PRS models. It is pretty unique in the way it is wired. The pickup may have more and different color wires than their other pickups to make it work like they want. Other pickups should be able to be put in though. It will just take a little investigation to get the wires right.

I apologize, I gave you bad information. The white wire is the hot wire. The black wire goes to round, which is were it will go when you connect it to that center lug on the push pull switch. You would use the black wire as the hot if you needed to flip the phase of the pickup. You will want to check to see if the new pickup is the same magnetic phase as the one you are removing. If they are not, you will need to flip the hot and ground wires on the new pickups to put them in the same phase or it may sound thin and honky when combined with the middle pickup. The red wire is the tap wire.

Do you have an orange wire? Also, the new 4 wire PRS pickup I just bought doesn't have a green wire on it so I am wondering about that one as well. Are you able to take some pictures of the wiring in the cavity of the guitar and post them? That may help.
Oh no worries...Yes there is an orange wire. Here is a pic of that (grabbed that pic from a sold one on reverb) and of the cavity
cy6JzNx.jpg

ScXy2Ub.jpg

It looks like the green and orange wires are going to ground on the back of the volume pot. The pickup doesn't have a shield so the green wire is probably replacing that. I am not sure what the orange wire is doing but it looks like it is going to ground. It should be easy to tell once you open yours up if that is the case.

Yes. Orange along with green are going to the back of the pot. I am guessing now when I install the Suhr I will just swap PRS White for Suhr Black (hot), Red goes to Red (on push pull), PRS Black to Suhr White (on push pull) then Green to Green and PRS Orange to Suhr Bare (both of these to the back of the pot/ground)? Hope that make sense...

Here is the Suhr wiring
w7Obtyf.jpg

It would be good to check the magnetic polarity of the Suhr pickup if you can. I have an SSV+ in my custom built Suhr hanging on the wall and it is opposite polarity of the 57/08 I just received back from PRS. That would mean that you will probably have to swap the black and green wires of the Suhr when you wire it in to put them in phase.

PRS only uses one wire for the tap. I know Seymour Duncan uses two like the diagram you posted. That may change how you wire the tap if you still want it. I would need to look at a few diagrams to see how that may change. It has been a while since I hooked one of those up.

Back