PRS Fiore: How to fake a Humbucker Tone on the Single Coil Neck Pickup?

zappafrank

I am very happy with my Fiore. The only thing is that sometimes I would like to have a fatter humbucker like Tone on the Single Coil Neck Pickup. I have a Quad Cortex and among others as boost pedals the Bogner Harlow and the EP Booster. There are also millions of captures of boost pedals in the Quad Cortex Cloud, but I haven’t found the magic setting or the capture with the magic setting yet.:rolleyes:

Clean boost pedal - although it won't really make a single coil sound like a humbucker, anymore than you can make a humbucker sound exactly like a great single coil.

But a Klon (Klon KTR, J Rockett "Jeff", etc) are designed to beef up a single coil about nicely as it can be done.

I have two on my pedal board,

One is used as a clean boost with the gain/overdrive on zero.

The other as more an overdrive with the gain/overdrive advanced.

@zappafrank,

IIRC, there are EQ settings that can shape your single-curve frequency response curve towards that of a humbucker. You might need to head on over to the QC forum website and do some research there to find out what that curve looks like; they've likely got someone there who has asked a similar question.

EDIT: I just asked your question on a separate forum that will hopefully provide the answer you're looking for. It may take a day or so, but I'll get back to you ASAP.

Last edited:

EDIT: The consensus from a separate forum was that the OP might need to just dial back on the neck pickup's tone knob, EQ somewhat, and add some level. SC and humbucker pickups exhibit their own personality because of varied impedances and windings. Although it may be possible to approximate a humbucker pickup, that's all you may be able to get...a close approximation.

Last edited:
My first suggestion is a good EQ pedal, but that's already been covered.

Secondly, I've had fantastic results with the Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster. This little guy has been around for many years. For single coils, the little resonance switch is gold ;)

Pull up the middle tone knob it adds the bridge humbucker :) roll back the bridge tone just a taste ( if you need to ) and there you go ( IMHO )
If that's too much also pull up the bridge tone knob and put the bridge in parallel, along with the neck pickup it sounds great.
Or there is always running in position 2 and 4 with mid tone pulled up gives you all 3 pickups

My first suggestion is a good EQ pedal, but that's already been covered.

Secondly, I've had fantastic results with the Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster. This little guy has been around for many years. For single coils, the little resonance switch is gold ;)

Thank you for the advice. I don't want to sound picky, but at about 4.39 he is exactly doing what I want. He plays a Single Coil Neck Pick Up and the Pickup Booster is supposed to make it sound more in direction of a Humbucker. The thing is to my ears the sound you hear at about 4.30 still sounds very much like a typical Single Coil Neck Pickup Sound. Or am I wrong?

The Xotic boost pedals are a delightful and resonable addition .
I have the super sweet and it truely is an always on pedal

It seems that I can not post the screenshot I made. I have found something in the Eventide H90. Is it no possible to post a local picture file?
I have asked the same question in the Quad Cortex Forum. You can find here the screenshot I made with the settings that work pretty good for me:

Last edited:
It seems that I can not post the screenshot I made. I have found something in the Eventide H90. Is it no possible to post a local picture file?
I have asked the same question in the Quad Cortex Forum. You can find here the screenshot I made with the settings that work pretty good for me:
IIRC, one needs 10 posts before they can post images via a web-hosting service.

Higher output, more compressed, more mids, less highs

The more you do, the closer you get

If its for a live audience, rolling down your tone knob and hitting a boost will get most of the way there

Thank you very much for all your suggestions. After seeing that Jeff Beck Video I am on the edge for getting a Klone Pedal...:) GAS strikes again. From a rational point of view the preset I mentioned before on the H90 works pretty well for me.

Thank you very much for all your suggestions. After seeing that Jeff Beck Video I am on the edge for getting a Klone Pedal...:) GAS strikes again. From a rational point of view the preset I mentioned before on the H90 works pretty well for me.
The ones to get are the new Klon KTR Bill Finnigan is offering or the J Rockett "Jeff" Archer that they made for Jeff Beck. Both sound identical.

Back