PRS DC3

Lloyd

Hi Guys anyone out there have a Strat Inspired DC3 with 3 single coils .

Just bought one and love it - great guitar !

Want to know the best amp combination to bring the best out of this guitar . I play anything from funk to Hendrix

Also - I use Ernie Ball strings any others I should try to make this guitar sing ?

cheers guys

I got one myself a couple of months ago. I love it. I had scoured all the local guitar stores in search of the perfect Fender American Standard Telecaster. I then picked up the DC3 and it was all over!! Currently I have D'Addario EXP .10 - .46 on mine. Enjoy the guitar!

How would you guys describe the pickups in the DC3?Hot singlecoils like Fender Texas special or more vintage sounding with less output?

I have the 305 :)
I use DR tite fit 10-46 set
as far as amps go pretty much anything with tubes should do :)
Congrats
Pictures please

I don't have a DC3--I have a Brent Mason, almost the same thing. I use a Quilter MicroPro 200 amp--that's about all my back will handle; it's 20 lbs.--and the Brent Mason sounds great through it. The one time I tried a DC3 was through a PRS SE30 amp--very nice, but it was in a noisy music store and I didn't want to contribute to the volume wars! I've also played a 305 (same pickups as the DC3) through a Twin Reverb, and it was spectacular, but just about anything sounds great through a Twin. I can't lift one though...
Regarding the pickups in the DC3 or the 305, I'd say they're closer to Texas Specials than to vintage Strat pickups, but they still have plenty of spank and twang. I got to ask Paul himself about what Brent M. was playing, about eight months before the Brent Mason model came out, and he advised me to try a DC3 as the specs on Brent's guitar hadn't been finalized yet. I did, and it's a good thing I couldn't afford it at that time, or I wouldn't have been able to get my Brent Mason model this year. If you don't need the humbucker sounds, the DC3 is as good a Strat/Tele-sounding guitar as you'll find. I've already got a good Strat, otherwise I'd have gotten the DC3--I think it actually sounds a bit better than my Strat--but the Brent Mason gives me tones that I couldn't get out of either my Strat or a DC3. I've been hearing rumors that they might discontinue the DC3, and I really hope they don't.
Lloyd--I use Elixir Nanoweb .010"-.046" strings on my electrics.

Last edited:
How would you guys describe the pickups in the DC3?Hot singlecoils like Fender Texas special or more vintage sounding with less output?
I have "Fat 50's" in my Strat and I find the DC3 pickups to have higher output. My Strat originally came with "Texas Specials" which sounded good in the store but I found I tired of them quickly. Although I like the "Fat 50's" a great deal there is just a certain clarity & chime I get out of the DC3 that I don't get anywhere else.

I've got a DC3, but it hasn't got single coils :)
Are you playing your DC3 or flying it perhaps??
dc3.jpg

Back