PRS cables

gush

Where is that speedo pic
I realize this topic has been discussed before but i need to ask folks on here that have the PRS cables. I have George Ls on my rig for everything but I'm growing tired of the stiff cables. I was using a wireless but it's not working very well at the moment so I'm back to being attached. I thought about replacing the wireless but to be honest, I never venture too far from my MIDI controller as I use a lot of effects.

My question is this, I loved what the george Ls did for my tone. I feel like my tone is much tighter and I don't want to lose that so what can I expect from the PRS cables?

Thanks for any input.

Hey Gush, for what it's worth, I use PRS cables (25') on all my guitars & amps. I really like sound that they help produce thru my Music Machines. And better yet, TANGLE FREE, makes a big difference when I pack up. I hope this helps you.

The PRS cables are extremely flexible and wonderful to work with in every way. I love and use them.

But at the same time, they don't sound exactly like GeorgeL's, which sound a little brighter (a little too bright for my taste). For me, the PRS cables have a very nice balanced sound.

I should add that I am a firm believer in a high quality buffer box as the first or second thing at the beginning of a pedal board (I like the wah to come before the buffer).

A good buffer will preserve more of your guitar's signal. As you know, the GeorgeLs have fairly low capacitance, which is why they sound bright. The VanDamme/PRS cables are pretty darn close in terms of capacitance, and are probably the most flexible and tangle free cables I've used so far.

It's worth experimenting a little to see if you like them.

If you are willing to spend some money, do yourself a favor and check out Intex Cables. Nothing against any other cable company, but these would be the last cables you'd buy. They're expensive and of the highest quality. Several "big name" artists use them. I stumbled across them reading a Steve Stevens interview in Guitar Player several months ago. That led me to check them out online through reviews, etc. I ordered one and loved it. Ended up ordering patch cables to redo the pedalboard, and a couple of extra cables as well. Did I need them, no. But, it's a one man shop, and he's in business for the right reasons.

If you are willing to spend some money, do yourself a favor and check out Intex Cables. Nothing against any other cable company, but these would be the last cables you'd buy. They're expensive and of the highest quality. Several "big name" artists use them. I stumbled across them reading a Steve Stevens interview in Guitar Player several months ago. That led me to check them out online through reviews, etc. I ordered one and loved it. Ended up ordering patch cables to redo the pedalboard, and a couple of extra cables as well. Did I need them, no. But, it's a one man shop, and he's in business for the right reasons.

People underrate USA made Belden cable because it's found everywhere. But it's pretty darn good stuff. That's what Intex uses. It's not cheap even in bulk,

It's not as flexible as the Van Damme/PRS stuff, but it probably sounds every bit as good (I've only tried it on mic cables).

People underrate USA made Belden cable because it's found everywhere. But it's pretty darn good stuff.

Yup. It's also the "tone" of 99% of every "classic" album made, if you're a cable guy.

Last edited:
Having used Belden cable for many years in the engineering industry I would recommend it wholeheartedly. It's mega expensive whichever way you look at it but it's almost impossible to damage the core under normal conditions and is very clean electrically. I would recommend Intex as they use Belden 8412, it doesn't get better.

All that nice stuff said about Belden, the PRS cables are far, far more flexible and easy to work because they don't tangle, and they lay flat. On a pedalboard, they are incredibly flexible.

As for tone, well, all cables will sound a little different.

I use a G major through my effects loop and a wah in front, no other pedals. Right now I have George Ls on everything even effects loop but since I'm ditching wireless I have to use George Ls to wah then to amp and they don't lay worth a darn. I will check out intex cables.

Thanks guys.

Back