PRS 594 Soapbar vs Wide Sky P125

Ste76

Hi, i'm new to the forum, and this is my first post.

I have a selected number of guitars that i love (Tele, John Mayer Stratocaster, LP, ES335 Warren Haynes, and an amazing Silver Sky), and now i'd like to buy my first P90 guitar.

I've read great reviews about the normal SC594, and i already know that i will buy one in the next few years, so i thought that the best thing to do was to buy a 594 Soapbar. I've found some good deal here in Europe and it seems that the guitar is still widely available. Ready to pull the trigger BUT then...

...then i saw Gary Clark Jr. live and his new Wide Sky P125 simply blow me away. I've tracked it down, and i've found a dealer. I can't test the guitar because it's in another country, and it's much more expensive than the 594 Soapbar i've put my eyes on...
...so i'm here to ask if someone have tried one or both, and what you suggest.

I'm more of a vintage sound guy, i mainly play Pearl Jam, Guns n' Roses, and classic and southern rock, and some good rock-blues.

Thank you
Stefano

It depends on what you expect out of a P90 guitar. The Gary Clark Jr. thing is a totally different approach than Leslie West. A solid body with soapbars is a totally diverse track from semihollow or hollow. And do you like really old P90s (late 50s are my favs) or newer, brighter and more articulate?

As in all the other guitars, i really like the old style pickups. i usually don't like the newer, modern pickups. I always look for "vintage" vibe. Surely there are exceptions to the rule, because something new can also be great...
I never bonded with the custom 24, that made PRS history. Its sound never spoke to me...than came the Silver Sky, and it was love at first chord. And i really like these 58/15 Lt even if i just played a 594 for half an hour. And i think that these two guitars are good example of an amazing mix of vintage and new (probably because in this case new means "better"...correct some original issues in quality and/or design).

As for solidbody vs hollow/semihollow, i really like how my ES-335 gets a little "dirty" much faster than my LP, even with low gain settings. I really love as it easily breaks up.
But then i also love what you can do with a solidbody and a 100watt amp crancked up.

I'd like to know between the two guitars which would be more versatile. I once had an ES-335 Chris Cornell (first run) and at first i loved it, but then i got stuck...for me it had just one sound, other than that i could not use it for any other style and so i sold it.

And i'd also like to know which has the more comfortable neck. I know PRS, i don't know what to expect from a Wide Sky.

PRS Quality is the Top, i don't know if the Wide Sky is at this level.
I never heard in person a 594 Soapbar, while the Wide Sky had a growl that hunts me at night and cut through the mix like a knife...but it was in the hands of Gary Clark, and that can make all the difference in the world.

The Wide Sky has Arcane Inc pickups, and they say "I invite you to experience the best quality pickups you will ever play". What can you say about that?

Thanks

As in all the other guitars, i really like the old style pickups. i usually don't like the newer, modern pickups. I always look for "vintage" vibe. Surely there are exceptions to the rule, because something new can also be great...
I never bonded with the custom 24, that made PRS history. Its sound never spoke to me...than came the Silver Sky, and it was love at first chord. And i really like these 58/15 Lt even if i just played a 594 for half an hour. And i think that these two guitars are good example of an amazing mix of vintage and new (probably because in this case new means "better"...correct some original issues in quality and/or design).

As for solidbody vs hollow/semihollow, i really like how my ES-335 gets a little "dirty" much faster than my LP, even with low gain settings. I really love as it easily breaks up.
But then i also love what you can do with a solidbody and a 100watt amp crancked up.

I'd like to know between the two guitars which would be more versatile. I once had an ES-335 Chris Cornell (first run) and at first i loved it, but then i got stuck...for me it had just one sound, other than that i could not use it for any other style and so i sold it.

And i'd also like to know which has the more comfortable neck. I know PRS, i don't know what to expect from a Wide Sky.

PRS Quality is the Top, i don't know if the Wide Sky is at this level.
I never heard in person a 594 Soapbar, while the Wide Sky had a growl that hunts me at night and cut through the mix like a knife...but it was in the hands of Gary Clark, and that can make all the difference in the world.

The Wide Sky has Arcane Inc pickups, and they say "I invite you to experience the best quality pickups you will ever play". What can you say about that?

Thanks

I know nothing about the Wide Sky, have only seen video demos, but I have both a 594 Soapbar and a 1965 SG Special.

Since you said you like vintage tones, IMHO the 594 Soapbar is the most vintage-sounding guitar PRS makes (I have a 594 with humbuckers and other PRSes as well). The character of the pickups is very much like my ‘65s, except that with the volume all the way up, the PRS is a little brighter. Maybe that’s the maple top, maybe it’s the 55 year old age of the old pickups. It’s easy enough to make the tone a little duller on my 594 Soap, just roll back the volume and/or tone controls on the guitar a touch.

Unfortunately, I haven’t heard a clip of the LP Junior model of the Wide Sky.

I’m not a huge fan of trapeze tailpieces; the hollow version of the P-125 sounds a little too 1940s/early 50s for my taste (whether that’s down to the tailpiece or not I have no idea). Not saying the 594 S is better or worse, just that it’s a different tone. But I usually prefer the solidity of a stop tailpiece.

Here’s a nice demo of the 594 Soapbar; mine sounds just like this, too (granted, I’m no Tom Quayle). In terms of tone, I think this is what you can expect.

I know nothing about the Wide Sky, have only seen video demos, but I have both a 594 Soapbar and a 1965 SG Special.

Since you said you like vintage tones, IMHO the 594 Soapbar is the most vintage-sounding guitar PRS makes (I have a 594 with humbuckers and other PRSes as well). The character of the pickups is very much like my ‘65s, except that with the volume all the way up, the PRS is a little brighter. Maybe that’s the maple top, maybe it’s the 55 year old age of the old pickups. It’s easy enough to make the tone a little duller on my 594 Soap, just roll back the volume and/or tone controls on the guitar a touch.

I’m not a huge fan of trapeze tailpieces; the hollow version of the P-125 sounds a little too 1940s/early 50s for my taste (whether that’s down to the tailpiece or not I have no idea). Not saying the 594 S is better or worse, just that it’s a different tone. But I usually prefer the solidity of a stop tailpiece.

Here’s a nice demo of the 594 Soapbar; mine sounds just like this, too (granted, I’m no Tom Quayle). In terms of tone, I think this is what you can expect.

That is one of the vids (and I watched them all) that pushed me over the edge to get mine.

That is one of the vids (and I watched them all) that pushed me over the edge to get mine.

It’s a great demo. Having had several soapbar PRSes in the past that I liked very much, it didn’t take a whole lot to make me get my wallet out!

But this one’s definitely got the more vintage vibe.

It’s a great demo. Having had several soapbar PRSes in the past that I liked very much, it didn’t take a whole lot to make me get my wallet out!

But this one’s definitely got the more vintage vibe.
I find the 594 soapbar to be more versatile than I initially though it would be.
The trick (for me) is to find a great amp setting and use the volume controls and toggle to find myself in clean to filth without needing much in the way of effects.
Great guitar.

I find the 594 soapbar to be more versatile than I initially though it would be.
The trick (for me) is to find a great amp setting and use the volume controls and toggle to find myself in clean to filth without needing much in the way of effects.
Great guitar.

Yes, sir! That’s the way to do it.

What an amazing tone, I think I like the neck pickup most.

Tom Quayle has a beautiful style.

There’s a great video of him and Martin Miller playing a rendition of “Isn’t She Lovely”, I’ll not upload as it has non PRS content, but take my word for it, it’s divine.

Back