PRS 50 Watt combo is drive or saturated on the lead channel

Matthew Holley

My newly acquired 50w used archon is not driving or saturated on the lead channels. Does not matter if it is running in the 25-watt mode or 50-watt mode. No real difference in sound between channels even though the amp settings are different. Any tips or tricks?

I would check the preamp glass is the correct spec, and working properly. If it's used, the seller may have tailored it to his tatses

Worth checking the bias as well

Is there a how-to guide to check the bias somewhere posted on the internet? The amp is currently running the stock tubes 5 or 6 12ax7 and 2 6l6 in the power section.

My newly acquired 50w used archon is not driving or saturated on the lead channels. Does not matter if it is running in the 25-watt mode or 50-watt mode. No real difference in sound between channels even though the amp settings are different. Any tips or tricks?
Sounds like it’s not actually switching channels. how are you switching channels? Amp switch or footswitch?

I tried both it does seem to work. The clean is really quiet and the lead is loud just not driven. Everything was at noon and tweak from there up. Prence and Depth are set about 7or 8.

I tried both it does seem to work. The clean is really quiet and the lead is loud just not driven. Everything was at noon and tweak from there up. Prence and Depth are set about 7or 8.
Something is wrong with the amp or the switch. Have you tried unplugging the footswitch and using the one on the amp? If so, Something is wrong with your amp. Check the tubes.

On my C50 if I have the footswitch in the lead position, then using the switch on the amp does nothing. Unplug the footswitch and try it.

On my C50 if I have the footswitch in the lead position, then using the switch on the amp does nothing. Unplug the footswitch and try it.
I thought that if the footswitch was plugged in, the switch on the amp never did anything (was bypassed). That may be incorrect though because on my, H, Custom 50 and Archon I've never used anything but the footswitch to change channels. Maybe like one time to see if it worked, but I unplugged the footswitch to do so.

I thought that if the footswitch was plugged in, the switch on the amp never did anything (was bypassed). That may be incorrect though because on my, H, Custom 50 and Archon I've never used anything but the footswitch to change channels. Maybe like one time to see if it worked, but I unplugged the footswitch to do so.
I should check them out again. The H is a stereo 1/4" and the C50 is a DIN I believe.

I should check them out again. The H is a stereo 1/4" and the C50 is a DIN I believe.
correct, because the Custom has 3 switches so it can't work on even a TRS 1/4 cable which can only operate 2 switches. So, another good point as they may not all be the same as far as plugging in footswitch bypassing the amp toggles

Back