Proper height for PRS wraparound bridge?

MattJ

Hey everyone!

New member from SC here. I have a tech question I was hoping someone might be able to help me with.

I recently picked up from Dave's Guitars a guitar I have long desired - a PRS McCarty with a korina body and Brazilian rosewood fretboard. I LOVE the tone of this guitar. It is easily the best instrument I've ever owned. The wraparound bridge is presenting a problem with intonation though. Adjusting the allen set screws will set the correct length for the high and low E strings, but the G and B are still off. So I'm replacing it with a TonePros wraparound replacement.

The question I have is what is the recommended height for a PRS wraparound bridge? I believe I may have altered it from the factory setting recently when I replaced the stock cream color pickup rings with black ones. I unscrewed the bridge posts so I could lay a cover over the body to prevent scratches in case my screwdriver slipped. This reset the original pickup height too. I would like to have a reference point for the bridge to work from that lines up properly with the neck angle and height of the fretboard above the body. From there I can work on setting up the proper neck relief, action, pickup height etc. I emailed PRS tech support but they just responded back by only restating the recommended pickup height listed on their setup guide.

Anyone have any information or recommendation? I would appreciate any assistance!
Thanks,
- Matt J.

Firstly, I'd be checking the TonePros bridge had the correct radius, if not, and you haven't bought it yet, get yourself a MannMade 2300.

Secondly, set neck relief first, then set the action to 1/16" above the 12th fret. Not much else you can do from there!

I'm also surprised you're having intonation issues, have you changed string gauge? Are you pressing too light/hard when checking your intonation? I've never had an issue with any wraparound PRS (and I've had SE, S2 and Core)

Thank you for your response Justmund!

I'm using a standard string gauge, Ernie Ball 46-10. I use a fairly light to standard touch when playing. I've never had issues with pressing too hard and knocking things out of tune previously.

I have already ordered the TonePros bridge. I wasn't aware of the MannMade 2300 before buying it. It has shipped and should be here either today or Monday. I will check the radius when it arrives to be sure!!

I'll follow your guidelines and go from there once everything is here. Thanks again!

Also, since you mentioned the MannMade 2300, is the general consensus that this is a far superior bridge when compared to the TonePros?

Let me put it this way, precision machined billet aluminum with brass saddles, that fits on the studs so well locking isn't required, by the guy who made the original PRS trem (and still makes 1-piece trems) and has awesome customer service vs. mass produced, most likely cast, most likely inferior materials...

Let me put it this way, precision machined billet aluminum with brass saddles, that fits on the studs so well locking isn't required, by the guy who made the original PRS trem (and still makes 1-piece trems) and has awesome customer service vs. mass produced, most likely cast, most likely inferior materials...
This, squared, times infinity plus one!

The Tone Pros bridge doesn't really compare to the stock bridge, or the Mann bridge, IMHO. Not even close.

Update!
I purchased a MannMade 2300 pre-notched bridge. Installed it and set it up. It sounds FANTASTIC! The brass saddles really seem to add a little extra life to the tone. I've found myself playing more with the tone control than any other guitar I've previously owned. This is also the first guitar with a coil tap I've ever found to sound pleasant or useful. Thank you so much for your advice! I'd post a picture of my McCarty in all its glory, but I'm at work right now.

Now... I've got my eye on a PRS 2-Channel "H" amp to go with it...

- Matt J.

Update!
I purchased a MannMade 2300 pre-notched bridge. Installed it and set it up. It sounds FANTASTIC! The brass saddles really seem to add a little extra life to the tone. I've found myself playing more with the tone control than any other guitar I've previously owned. This is also the first guitar with a coil tap I've ever found to sound pleasant or useful. Thank you so much for your advice! I'd post a picture of my McCarty in all its glory, but I'm at work right now.

- Matt J.

You're welcome! We wouldn't steer you wrong!! Glad it turned out to your liking. John, and his stuff, are the best! BTW, you can't go wrong with the H either!

Thanks Bodia!

It has been awesome reading all of the info on the forum. I don't know any other PRS play except for myself and my brother who plays a Custom 24. I was a long time Gibson user but just got fed up with their quality and costs. I had a 24 fret 50th anniversary Gibson SG that I had lusted after for a while. It ended up sounding dull and lifeless, no matter what pickups were in it. Finally, after playing a korina McCarty at a local guitar show, and realizing the costs for a korina Flying V or Explorer are crazy, I decided finally get a PRS and found a great deal from Dave's Guitars.

I actually have a PRS "30" 1x12 combo right now. It's a great amp, but I would really prefer something with two channels, plus I've never been that big a fan of EL84 output tubes. They sounds great in some hands, but they're just not for me. Even at lower volumes they tend to have too harsh a top end to me. That's probably why I've really enjoyed playing Vox amps either. 6L6, 6V6, and other octal power amps are more my taste. I've found two Hs used on Guitar Center's website. I'm emailed those stores for more info and pictures, I'm just waiting to hear back from them.
- Matt J.

Update!

- Matt J.
The mannmade 2300 is a fine bridge. Great choice!

Back