Possible Rosewood neck McCarty purchase...

nicolasrivera

Hello, Im seeking insight about this model, I may have the opportunity to buy one in the next few days with out playing it first.

I know the body is thicker then my C24, but how much thicker?

What can I expect out of a guitar having a rosewood neck? Its not BRW BTW.

And the pickups and over all vibe of the tone if it closer to a LP?

Thanks for your help.

It's 1/8 of an inch thicker. The RW neck usually will add some lower midrange oomph to the guitar, but the highs will still be sparkly. The lower mid bump may give the impression that the upper mids and mids are more scooped, but that's not the case really, it's just the impression caused by the extra lower mid emphasis.

A lot will depend on the pickups that are on the guitar; I'm assuming you're buying used. I don't think the McCarty's original pickups are very close to a Les Paul, and I've had several of the RW neck models. I've always felt the McCarty sounded like a McCarty and not a Les Paul, which isn't a bad thing!

A set of the 57/08 or 58/15 pickups will give it closer to a Lester sound, but the guitars are so different that to me the comparison between a McCarty and a Lester is kind of a stretch. You want Lester tone with a PRS feel? Find a good SC245.

Even then, however, I prefer the PRS tone to that of a Les Paul, and yeah, they're still different enough to make things interesting. Incidentally, I have both a current McCarty and a McCarty Singlecut (sort of a limited run SC245-ish thing), and I love them both - a lot!

Last edited:
It's 1/8 of an inch thicker. The RW neck usually will add some lower midrange oomph to the guitar, but the highs will still be sparkly. The lower mid bump may give the impression that the upper mids and mids are more scooped, but that's not the case really, it's just the impression caused by the extra lower mid emphasis.

A lot will depend on the pickups that are on the guitar; I'm assuming you're buying used. I don't think the McCarty's original pickups are very close to a Les Paul, and I've had several of the RW neck models. I've always felt the McCarty sounded like a McCarty and not a Les Paul, which isn't a bad thing!

A set of the 57/08 or 58/15 pickups are closer to a Lester sound, but the guitars are so different that to me the comparison between a McCarty and a Lester is kind of a stretch. You want Lester tone with a PRS feel? Find a good SC245.

Even then, however, I prefer the PRS tone to that of a Les Paul, and yeah, they're still different enough to make things interesting. Incidentally, I have both a current McCarty and a McCarty Singlecut (sort of a limited run SC245-ish thing), and I love them both tons.

Thanks, yes i did try a 2000 SC and it is at leat 10 times better then my 55 goldtop! ha. I kind of regret trying one out, im still gassig for one, but i first want to have my first rosewood neck PRS.

I was asking the Lester comparison because of all the Ted McCarty influence on Paul.

I have already gatther over the years some of the best PAF clones on the market and probably replace the original pickups if that PAF 3d organic detail is not present.

Thanks for the input.

The extra thickness on a solid body is minimal compared to going hollow body so I don't think that is much of an prolem unless weight is an issue. The extra mids give the McCarty one of the best PRS tones ever achieved (to my ears), the combination of the body mass & PUs give it a unique sound different from an LP which I feel is a good thing. Fretboard wood has very little to do with tone so I think that is mainly an aesthetic choice.

I had one and maybe it was just the amp I use, but compared to my mahogany neck Custom 22, the McCarty was significantly more warm-toned. I tried about 9 sets of pickups in there trying to keep the lush lows it had, which I felt was part of its inherent tone, and also brought out some mids and highs. Couldn't find the right pickups - either they were muddy or cut the balls off the low end. On its own it sounded like the clouds parting and the light of the flying spaghetti monster shining down! In a band mix it would get lost. It was the nicest guitar I have ever owned.

I don't have a McCarty but going from my Cu24 to my 513 (which is McCarty thick and 22 frets) I don't notice the difference in thickness while playing.
What I do notice though is the different playing position of my left hand. You can feel the 22 fret neck being shorter out of the body (even if the 513 is slightly longer scale than the McCarty)
I hope this makes sense...

Back