which would you choose?

• Poly

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • V12

Votes: 21 52.5%
  • Nitro

Votes: 16 40.0%

• Total voters
Nitro varies greatly depending on how much plasticizer is used in the formula. Plasticizer will prevent the nitro from cracking, but it also makes it feel very sticky. Paul likes to use as little plasticizer as possible because he feels plasticizer deadens the tone of the guitar.

Very interesting, Shawn. Intellectually, it certainly makes sense that the more rubbery/gooey the finish, the more it would tend to deaden vibrations.

Whether that is in fact the case I will leave up to Paul's most excellent hearing acuity. There's certainly no question that my acoustic sounds great!

I have all 3 and it depends "for what" when you ask which I prefer. I find the V12 looks and feels great but man, you just LOOK at the stuff and I get a new chip. It's definitely thin. How do I know? Cause I have a LOT of "test spots" where I can feel and see the ridge height and dry film thickness.
I don't mind poly (which poly you mean? Polyester? Polyethylene? Polypropylene? Oopsies...that's ROPE..). It sure is rugged. Not my fave on my acoustics.
On a neck...whatever. If it's a maple neck and the finish feels sticky, off she comes and the bare wood gets some steel wool and maybe a little oil before baptism by hand-goo. Then it starts gumming-up sometimes so another round of steel wool or even scotchbrite.

I love the nitro finish on my DGT. I haven't found it at all sticky, and love the way it's wearing away. I haven't tried a PRS with the v12 finish, so I can't fairly comment on those, but I am curious about them.

I have PRSi with all three finishes (poly, V12, and nitro), and I don't have a problem with any of them. Personally, I doubt there is any significant impact on tone - at least nothing you'd hear after the drummer starts playing. But I'm always conscious of the possibility of damaging the nitro finish (is it OK to use this stand? is it OK to use this cleaner?) and it's one more thing I'd rather not have to worry about, so make mine V12 going forward, I guess.

My favorite PRS finish of all time was the one used on the first Modern Eagles. not a fan of the poly. like the v12 one very much. didn't have a lot of time with those DGT that came with the Nitro finish, but any expert can confirm that the nitro on those DGT's are different then the one in the first ME's.

Very interesting, Shawn. Intellectually, it certainly makes sense that the more rubbery/gooey the finish, the more it would tend to deaden vibrations.

Whether that is in fact the case I will leave up to Paul's most excellent hearing acuity. There's certainly no question that my acoustic sounds great!

Yeah. Very cool info. I just like how it looks like it's merged with the guitar. I believe they call it sink.

Back