Ping! @ the bridge

RonHal

I have a Custom 22 with Trem bridge. When I use the trem I get the dreaded ping, but at the bridge. Also
when I tune the D string as I get to pitch I get the ping. I went over the bridge setup with the "fine-tooth comb".
My service guy checked the nut slots, even polished them with a very fine grit "sandpaper". 8000 grit.
This guitar plays wonderfully, stays in tune with no trem use. I suspect for some reason there is problem
with the bridge plate that the string is held against. The ball end is "jumping" somehow. I have not dismantled the bridge. I also lubed the nut and saddles, no difference. One thing I noticed, the knot at the ball end sits right at the plate. Looking for ideas to solve this problem.

You mentioned the "knot" at the ball end of the string. I assume you're referring to the wraps. As an experiment to determine if it is the wrap; buy a set of Fender super bullet strings, or a single if the shop carries them. They don't have wraps. This will at least confirm or eliminate the wrap at the ball end being the culprit.

Next time you change the string, cut off the grommet off of the end of the old string and thread it down the new string before you put it on so it acts as a spacer and helps seat the string more solidly. It's worked for me!

Last edited:
Back