Piezo experts....

markd21

I have a P22. I bought it brand new. I barely play it. In fact, I only used it once live and have used it for recording on three sessions. I never just noodle around on it.

Well, today I pulled it out to do some acoustic work on a track and I noticed that the G string sounds weak and distorted compared to all the other strings. I changed the battery. Same thing. Changed the strings. Same thing. Tried multiple amplification systems. Same thing. Only the G string is distorted and weak in volume. All of the other string react appropriately with the same volume.

I know there are those adjustment screws in the battery compartment, and I have no fear of tweaking the one the corresponds to the G string, but I am assuming those just deal with volume.

Anybody have any good information about the piezo system that could advise/offer conjecture as to the potential issue?

Thanks.

Obligatory pictures....

I’ve got two stoptail piezo equipped PRSi so I’m not sure of the trem version wiring. My pure speculation would be a damaged individual transducer or wiring issue if the trem ones come out individually (the stoptail all goes out one ribbon cable over to the piezo PCBA).

I’ve got two stoptail piezo equipped PRSi so I’m not sure of the trem version wiring. My pure speculation would be a damaged individual transducer or wiring issue if the trem ones come out individually (the stoptail all goes out one ribbon cable over to the piezo PCBA).
This would be my guess as well. It shouldn’t be distorted AND weak in volume.

I don’t think that adjusting the volume on the one g string piezo will work, but that’s what I would do first.
I would make sure of the position it’s in before I would turn it with a small philips screwdriver. I’d turn it back and forth a quarter of a turn to see if for some reason it oxided up. If not, as Malloc said it could be the connection on the g string connector under the bridge or the g string piezo element itself. If you remove the bridge could you shoot us a picture of the connection. The Stop tailpiece version has one 6 wire flat cable with a single connector that mates up to the connector mounted under the bridge.

Last edited:
What does the "P" in P22 stand for? Piezo? Are all piezo PRS called that?

That was the old style designation for solid bodies with piezo: P22 or P24 based on custom 22 or 24. Now it’s just “custom 22 piezo”

I’ve had the G go completely dead in one of mine. Sent it back to PTC for warranty repair.

And no G string jokes please.

Dammit - why do I respect your wishes? But you’re like Lord Chatterly - letting someone else do the G string work.

Sorry, not related to your question, but WOW I can’t believe nobody’s commented on how killer your guitar looks. Northern lights, I presume? Stunning...

Thanks for the responses. I did a PTC form yesterday, so once I hear back from them that'll be the route....

Sorry, not related to your question, but WOW I can’t believe nobody’s commented on how killer your guitar looks. Northern lights, I presume? Stunning...

Thanks! Lol, I wish it was Northern Lights, but it's just Violet. Not that that's a bad thing....it looks gorgeous. Funny part? I thought it was disappointing when I got it. I was expecting something more purple. But, with most of my PRS' it had to grow on me.

Back